Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Sharper, Greenway return Pennington passes for TDs in Vikings' win over Jets

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Would it be possible to score more defensive TD's than offensive?
    Possibly but not likely.

Something to think about related to tonight.

When the D spots you a lead like that you don't worry about scoring to much but rather chewing up the clock and not making dumb turnovers that will let the opposing team back in the game.

Heavy emphasis on run tonight was either by design (get backs and OL some work) or a shift in scheme to do just that.
    Eat up the clock, score when you can and not turn the ball over.

Either way, they looked good doing. it.
    ;D

Whats the old saying, Defense wins championships.
    Wonder why that old cliche' is still applicable these days?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Sharper, Greenway return Pennington passes for TDs in Vikings' win over Jets

Really good effort tonight, but it's still a preseason game and before we toot our horn's we know that we are still working to get better. When the defense is giving you a lead, the gameplan changes to protect the lead and be more consevative. We ran 2-1 over the pass, and mauled the Jets. I like that. The only thing I didn't like was the kick coverage. It always seems to be a issue with us.

We have good reason for optimism, but gotta temper it as this is only a preseason game, and we have lot's of work to do to get where we want to be.
    I like the way were heading.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:

Only problem being that Wade is currently our #1 receiver.
    For now. Do you honestly think that'll stand past week 3? C'mon, lame point. He's only #1 now b/c Troy imploded last season and Rice is a rook. Guaranteed by the end of the season he'll be #3.
    Which brings me back to my original point. If he plays all season like he did today, he won't be our #1 receiver by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is that he is our #1 receiver right now and if he wants to keep that spot he needs to play like it. Just because he's played in the slot his whole career doesn't mean that he doesn't try to play like a #1.

And yeah... Troy imploded and Rice is a rookie. Both are essentially unproven.
    Right, and i'm trying to look at this objectively, but even if Wade plays well, I would still think he'd go to #3. I think Troy is ready and Rice looked real good. So the point i was making is that Wade is only #1 b/c of his tenure and experience. Even if he plays at a good level, I feel Troy and Sid will surpass him by their abilities.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm liking the defense!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Braddock" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:

Only problem being that Wade is currently our #1 receiver.
    For now. Do you honestly think that'll stand past week 3? C'mon, lame point. He's only #1 now b/c Troy imploded last season and Rice is a rook. Guaranteed by the end of the season he'll be #3.
    Which brings me back to my original point. If he plays all season like he did today, he won't be our #1 receiver by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is that he is our #1 receiver right now and if he wants to keep that spot he needs to play like it. Just because he's played in the slot his whole career doesn't mean that he doesn't try to play like a #1.

And yeah... Troy imploded and Rice is a rookie. Both are essentially unproven.
    Right, and i'm trying to look at this objectively, but even if Wade plays well, I would still think he'd go to #3. I think Troy is ready and Rice looked real good. So the point i was making is that Wade is only #1 b/c of his tenure and experience. Even if he plays at a good level, I feel Troy and Sid will surpass him by their abilities.
    What do you mean when you say/apply numbers to our recievers?

Here is a quote from a post I did on our WR and thier fit/role in a WCO.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9741#msg579741

The following snippet kindof blows the whole #1, #2, #3 WR arguement some of you still hold onto out the water doesn't it.
    (Probably not though as some of you are as hard headed as I am
    )

In essence, what we've learned are that the Flanker and Split End positions are not always viewed as a No. 1 and No. 2 because of the schemes. At times these receivers will post similar numbers. At the same time, a slot receiver should not be a targeted position as a fantasy receiver based on their limitations in targets. The TE position is key to a WCO and the ability of an RB and FB to be pass receivers is essential.

I found this very interesting as well.
    Maybe this was a deciding factor for a certain WR that the team targeted in FA not to sign with us.

Since offensive balance is the aim of the WCO, parity is often the result of its proper execution. A good example (albeit of a bad WCO) is the situation in Carolina in 1999. George Siefert's Panthers ran a classic WCO that season (no shotgun formation, lots of two-back sets). At the end of the year, the top three receivers were within 9 receptions of one another, the TE had 43 receptions and the FB had 26 receptions. In Philadelphia last year, James Thrash and Todd Pinkston posted similar numbers (635 yards-6 TDs for Thrash and 798 yards and 7 TDs for Pinkston). This is the perfect illustration of the balance the WCO seeks in utilizing all offensive weapons.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12