Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Sharper explains 'playmakers' issue

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    All I believe he is saying is he's being hand-cuffed by the scheme & it's not allowing him & other talented players to make some of the plays.

We saw this same thing in 2005 in Cotrell's defense. Once Tice got involved & tore some of the plays out of Cottrell's complicated defensive playbook, the defense got better.

I'm not saying throw the Tampa 2 out the door, but relax it a bit to give Sharper & Winfield a little more freedom & I'd bet we start seeing more interceptions.

Both Winfield & Sharper have been around enough to be able to read defenses, make the adjustments & be more productive as players. With our pass defense being what it is now & Winfield & Sharper being who they are, let the playmakers make plays. What's it going to hurt at this point? These two players aren't the type to get burned, so cut them some slack.

It wasn't broke in the latter half of 2005, so why try & fix it?

These types of adjustments are the types we need to see at more than at the DB & safety positions,

but I don't see it happening under Childress. Other teams adjust & we seem to continue with the same game plan without adjustments throughout the entire game.

Pretty easy for another team to figure out after a quarter or two, isn't it?

Predictable is what I call it & IMO it's costing us ball games.

Perhaps even insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results.
    It is costing us ballgames. Childress needs to let the safties roam. If he does not adapt the tampa 2 to our players the same crap is going to happen for the rest of the season. PASS PASS PASS and then the outcome LOSS!
    I think this adjustment needs to be made. I'm growing tired of being at the bottom of the pass defense list week after week without adjustments. They replaced McCauley, but that alone isn't enough. I did not notice that big of an improvement, if any with Gordon in there.
    All players want to play man to man vice Zone.

How has he done when we did go man to man vice Zone?
    Just as bad, in fact we get burned for more yards in man to man than we do the zone.

Adjustments need to be made cliche'.
    Gimme a break.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    All I believe he is saying is he's being hand-cuffed by the scheme & it's not allowing him & other talented players to make some of the plays.

We saw this same thing in 2005 in Cotrell's defense. Once Tice got involved & tore some of the plays out of Cottrell's complicated defensive playbook, the defense got better.

I'm not saying throw the Tampa 2 out the door, but relax it a bit to give Sharper & Winfield a little more freedom & I'd bet we start seeing more interceptions.

Both Winfield & Sharper have been around enough to be able to read defenses, make the adjustments & be more productive as players. With our pass defense being what it is now & Winfield & Sharper being who they are, let the playmakers make plays. What's it going to hurt at this point? These two players aren't the type to get burned, so cut them some slack.

These types of adjustments are the types we need to see at more than at the DB & safety positions,

but I don't see it happening under Childress. Other teams adjust & we seem to continue with the same game plan without adjustments throughout the entire game.

Perhaps even insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results.
    It is costing us ballgames. Childress needs to let the safties roam. If he does not adapt the tampa 2 to our players the same crap is going to happen for the rest of the season. PASS PASS PASS and then the outcome LOSS!
    I think this adjustment needs to be made. I'm growing tired of being at the bottom of the pass defense list week after week without adjustments. They replaced McCauley, but that alone isn't enough. I did not notice that big of an improvement, if any with Gordon in there.

Just as bad, in fact we get burned for more yards in man to man than we do the zone.

Gimme a break.

;D
    Cliche? I don't think so. Either you adjust your scheme to better utilize your playmakers talents, which is what Childress claimed he would do when he took over the team or you get playmakers who can excel in your scheme.

Pretty simple.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Gimme a break.

;D
    Cliche? I don't think so. Either you adjust your scheme to better utilize your playmakers talents, which is what Childress claimed he would do when he took over the team or you get playmakers who can excel in your scheme.

Pretty simple.
    Adjusting what the CB/S are doing isn't going to fix our lack of pass rush.
    Until we fix that I don't care what we do, our ability to stop the pass isn't gonna happen.

Adjustments.......
    How many different mixes/matches of DL have you seen out there?
    I can tell you that at the LDE position we are getting production (4 sacks Keneche/4 sacks Robison with Keneche out) from the RDE position.

Why is that?
    Mix of Erasmus still out/not producing and Edwards probably a bit over his head/experience level.

Will adjustments over come that.
    I really don't think so.
    What will fix that is either Erasmus comes back and starts producing or we wait until next year to get a RDE that can rush the passer.

That my friend is an adjustment.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

Sharper has lost a lot of his physical abilities, but his mind is still sharp. I think at this point in his career, it's probably best TO let him roam around more freely in the secondary. By letting him play loosely, he can cheat or use his brains to get an advantage on certain plays. Of course, his aggressiveness is costly at times but at this point our pass defense is so pathetic we need to do something different.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=39308.msg666317#msg666317 date=1193962062]

Gimme a break.

;D

Pretty simple.
    Adjusting what the CB/S are doing isn't going to fix our lack of pass rush.
    Until we fix that I don't care what we do, our ability to stop the pass isn't gonna happen.

Adjustments.......
    How many different mixes/matches of DL have you seen out there?
    I can tell you that at the LDE position we are getting production (4 sacks Keneche/4 sacks Robison with Keneche out) from the RDE position.

Why is that?
    Mix of Erasmus still out/not producing and Edwards probably a bit over his head/experience level.

Will adjustments over come that.
    I really don't think so.
    What will fix that is either Erasmus comes back and starts producing or we wait until next year to get a RDE that can rush the passer.

That my friend is an adjustment.

;D
    [/quote]

Did I not say we need adjustments at more than the DB & Safety positions? You made my point for me. I say let the backfield play a little more agressive on pass plays. Right now we are seeing a lot of balls being caught on us, then the player gets tackled. That's still a completion & yards gained.

How often have you seen a ball knocked away & fall to the ground incomplete as aresult of a defender getting his hand in there. Far to seldom IMO. It appears to me that we are playing in more of a prevent mode.

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    our lack of pass rush.
    The lack of Pass Rush is one of the reasons why Minnesota is tops at stopping the run...Dungy said this week once they got their DEs to stop thinking about their sack totals, their entire defense has been better
    ( because they helped in the run stop portion)
    just a observation

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Bottom line is the scheme sucks to the players we have.
    Sharpers first year with the vikings he played free safety(same position he played at with the pukers).
    Now under Childress he plays the strong safety, why is that?
    Because Childress is to fucking bullheaded to realize he is wrong. The players we have on defense have alot of talent but not in this style of defense and some of them are being used wrong.
    I hate blaming the coach but when you are half way threw the season and you dont start making changes then i question the coaching ability.

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    our lack of pass rush.
    The lack of Pass Rush is one of the reasons why Minnesota is tops at stopping the run...Dungy said this week once they got their DEs to stop thinking about their sack totals, their entire defense has been better
    ( because they helped in the run stop portion)
    just a observation
    Oh no! That can't be! Just ask a lot of people around here. (sarcasm on) The only stat that matters is the number of sacks a DE end has. If he has few or none, he obviously sux & should be kicked off the team. (sarcasm off)

Many people here wanted Udeze off the team last year, because he didn't have any sacks. Forget the fact that he played out of position & lead the team with 13 tackles for a loss. That doesn't count. He had 0 sacks & that's all that mattered to them, so the guy was obviously a bust.
    :

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

With how terrible our pass defense has been can anybody really be that against letting Sharper roam?
    What do we have to lose really?
    We're 2-5 with one of the worst pass defenses in the nfl, we need turnovers and be able to stop pass for us to win football games....period.
    So i'd say let vets like Sharper and Winfield use their brains instead of being zone zombies in this scheme.
    Well I suppose there is the faint possibility that the universe will end if Childress shows some flexibility in his system though.........so take it all with a grain of salt.

Metrodump is offline Starter

HEY YO, MY NAME BE DARREN SHARPER. LOOK AT ME!! I WILL NOW BEAT MY CHEST UPON MAKING A ROUTINE TACKLE.[size=14pt]LOOK AT ME!!![/size]

Stfu an just play da game

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234