Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sharper explains 'playmakers' issue

[size=13pt]Vikings: Sharper explains 'playmakers' issue[/size]

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: October 31, 2007 – 10:41 PM

In the aftermath of the Vikings' 23-16 loss to Philadelphia on Sunday, Darren Sharper expressed frustration: "You have to get some playmakers. That is one thing you could do, get some playmakers or let your playmakers be playmakers.".......

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Sharper explains 'playmakers' issue

Asked how this could be accomplished, Sharper said: "Just let them be playmakers. ... If you have guys that have a lot of special talents, have abilities, just go out there and let them do their thing."
    Sharper considers himself in the playmaker category, and it's clear he feels he could do more to help this defense. He had an NFC-leading nine interceptions in his first season with the Vikings in 2005 but has six in 23 games playing in the Cover-2 scheme implemented last year.
    "You know the nature of this defense is the safeties are just going to be back deep. You can't be involved," he said. "Would I like to have more opportunities to be free and be aggressive? Of course I would, because that's the type of game I have. But I have to accept the fact that our defense a lot of times does not call for me to do that."

That's just one more example of Childress, Frazier & Bevell not using our players to their best potential & adjusting the schemes around the players abilities, but rather forcing them to play to their way.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Everything I read about Childress and his staff is turning my dislike to hate.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Also noteworthy from the article...

Facing a noon deadline today to sell out Sunday's game and avoid their first blackout in 10 seasons, the Vikings had 1,350 tickets left Wednesday afternoon.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Woooow,nice read,Sharper is questoning the Childress off(He says the playmakers need more action) and def(He says that He is limited with the Cover 2 def..)
    At least Sharper is telling what everyone thinks.....
    El underdog.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You guys crack me up.
    Pick the nuggets out that only meet your needs.

What about this one?

That's what the game comes down to is making plays; when I say get more playmakers I mean just as far as the guys that you have. Make them step their game up."
    With the rationale you guys are using the HC and his Coords aren't even giving them the chance to step up thier game.

If that was happening (I don't think it is) then why would he say it?
    :

But I have to accept the fact that our defense a lot of times does not call for me to do that."
    Alot of times people must play within the scheme.
    For the other times they are called upon to make plays then they need to step it up and execute.

My way of reading between the lines.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

uh oh... you know what happens to players who question chilly.
    now we start the countdown untill when sharper gets the boot

MNgriff is offline Rookie

I agree with sharp and I would say that players need to play and coaches need to coach. Players are not executing on opportunities to make the big play and coaching schemes are limiting the number of opportunities. The guy has been around the league for longer then I've been alive(well not that long) and I do respect his assessment. Sometimes I see a play and I'm like "WOW OMFG!" then our team looks like an absolute mess.
    We have talented player it just seems like they're not able to sustain it for an entire game and that's partially players and partially coaching. I think that's all he's trying to say.
    Skol

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MNgriff" wrote:
    I agree with sharp and I would say that players need to play and coaches need to coach. Players are not executing on opportunities to make the big play and coaching schemes are limiting the number of opportunities. The guy has been around the league for longer then I've been alive(well not that long) and I do respect his assessment. Sometimes I see a play and I'm like "WOW OMFG!" then our team looks like an absolute mess.
    We have talented player it just seems like they're not able to sustain it for an entire game and that's partially players and partially coaching. I think that's all he's trying to say.
    I think you are exactly correct.
    Unfortunately the press and others, will take what the want and turn it into what they want other to believe.

Thus the term "Spin".
    ;D

Very nice post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Very nice article but I am stuck in the middle.

I agree with Childress not letting our guys be playmakers and I also agree with the lack of execution. As far as needing playmakers I think we just need some playmakers to emerge especially at QB.

TJ is young and I hope he pans out but I doubt we are ever going to have an offense until he comes around. Especially with that OL who is underacheiving right now. It all starts here for making plays on offense. The WR are decent IMO and I think they have not had an oppotunity to shine yet. It is hard when you have 3 QBs throwing to you. Timing is everything. I think they need to work on seperation but when they do get seperation our QB is usually running for his life. There is much lack of execution on offense.

The cover 2 scheme does work but is it right for our group of players? I can't answer that but it makes me wonder. Is it the scheme or lack of execution. I think it might both. Our players might not be comfortable in this scheme. It sounds like it from what Sharper says. If this is true then Childress might have to go. Sharper is a vet and if he is not comfortable with this scheme he might never be.

Overall I am starting to lose confidence in Childress. I said I would be patient but I am not seeing any progress. I am not calling for his head yet. TJ being injured is not helping.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast