Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    [size=13pt]Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run[/size]

    Last update: September 18, 2006 – 12:23 AM

    The Chicago Bears won their first two games by a combined score of 60-7 over Green Bay and Detroit. But Vikings safety Darren Sharper is confident the Bears' easy run through the NFC North will end next Sunday at the Metrodome.

    "We usually play well against them, and I kind of predict we'll have another game like we did today," Sharper said Sunday after the Vikings' 16-13 overtime victory against Carolina improved their record to 2-0. "[It will be a] low-scoring, defensive battle. If we have to win that way, we'll win that way. We're just going to come back and keep plugging away.

    "If we can get this one it would really set us up. You want to shoot to go 16-0, you know it's going to be a one-game season each and every weekend."

    Reminded that Chicago has looked like an offensive juggernaut in the first two weeks, blanking Green Bay 26-0 and then routing Detroit 34-7 on Sunday, Sharper was quick to respond. "That's not against us, though," he said. "That's not against us."

    James to have MRI

    Erasmus James, the Vikings' starting right defensive end, will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging test today after leaving Sunday's game in the fourth quarter because of a left knee injury. James was hurt during a 1-yard run by the Panthers' DeShaun Foster. He limped off the field and was taken to the locker room on a cart.

    "I was just holding up the block," James said. "I don't know if someone got blocked into me or someone came down and chopped me."

    James said the knee felt good after the game. "It seems like a sprain, but you never know," he said.

    The Vikings' injury report also included receivers Troy Williamson (shoulder) and Marcus Robinson (hamstring); linebacker Napoleon Harris (quadriceps); and cornerback Antoine Winfield, who was shaken up on the opening kickoff of the second half. Winfield, replaced by Cedric Griffin and then Ronyell Whitaker, returned on the Panthers' third series of the half.

    More help?

    Vikings coach Brad Childress admitted he could have done a better job of having a tight end or running back assist right tackle Marcus Johnson in his matchup with Panthers end Julius Peppers. Peppers finished with three sacks, four quarterback hurries and a pass broken up.

    Childress did bring in veteran right tackle Mike Rosenthal to sub for Johnson on two plays early in the first quarter and also had tight end Jim Kleinsasser help Johnson in the opening quarter. But as the game progressed, Johnson seemed to be left on his own more and more.

    "Marcus is a good player," Vikings right guard Artis Hicks said. "He's going to be one of the best offensive tackles in this league for long time. You've got to let a guy go out and play. I think that's what the coaching staff did. They let Marcus go out and use his athletic ability. I think he did a pretty good job. Some of the sacks [Peppers] had, a couple of them, I know he just kind of fell into. But take nothing away from him, that guy is a heck of a defensive end."

    Run to win

    Running back Chester Taylor gained 80 yards on his first 23 carries Sunday afternoon before breaking free for a key 33-yard run in overtime. As a result, Taylor produced his first 100-yard game with the Vikings, finishing with 113 yards on 24 carries.

    Artose Pinner saw his first action with the Vikings, carrying once for 2 yards, and fullback Tony Richardson carried four times for 10 yards. Mewelde Moore continued to serve as the third-down back, but for the most part the Vikings have squarely built their offense around Taylor.

    With 55 carries in the first two weeks, Taylor is on track for an NFL-record 440 carries this season. It seems unlikely that Taylor will continue that pace.

    "Eventually it kind of catches up with guys at some point," quarterback Brad Johnson said. "We've got to lean on him for every win that we can get, and he's going to give it to us, and if he needs the rest, we've got some other backs that can come in there and make some plays for us, too."


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    hovan's Avatar
    hovan is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,903

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    Sounds Great to me!
    Pound em D, pound that Edipus Rex into the GROUND!
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

  3. #3
    Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    i dont think it's chicago's run we need to worry about.. grossman and their WR's cut through the GB secondary in week one..

    that's my biggest concern, along with getting out own running game going
    i m better than you, so just give up...

  4. #4
    Ultrapurple's Avatar
    Ultrapurple is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Conroe, Tx
    Posts
    102

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    As I see it we got a couple of things going for us. First, I agree with Mr Sharper. Our Defense is alot better then what Rexie boy has Faced so far this year. Second and Much more Importently, in the back of Rexie boys mind,........his season has ended the last 2 years against The Minnesota Vikings. He was put on the shelf by a defense, not even HALF as tenacious as what he will be Facing come Sunday. Even without Erasmushe's gonna know that those guys, up front. From Minnesota,.....they just flat out BRING IT!! And maybe that'll get in his head a little,.....and he'll rush a few throws. And Mr. Sharper and company,.........will pick the bears clean!!! Thats what I'm hoping for!
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

  5. #5
    bearsfanmn is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    "Ultrapurple" wrote:
    As I see it we got a couple of things going for us. First, I agree with Mr Sharper. Our Defense is alot better then what Rexie boy has Faced so far this year. Second and Much more Importently, in the back of Rexie boys mind,........his season has ended the last 2 years against The Minnesota Vikings. He was put on the shelf by a defense, not even HALF as tenacious as what he will be Facing come Sunday. Even without Erasmushe's gonna know that those guys, up front. From Minnesota,.....they just flat out BRING IT!! And maybe that'll get in his head a little,.....and he'll rush a few throws. And Mr. Sharper and company,.........will pick the bears clean!!! Thats what I'm hoping for!
    Tenacious defense??????/
    The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning si shiver at the thought O f the Washington Redskins minus there running back and the Carolina offense minus there
    reciever and biggest weapon. Your tenacious defense have beaten two no plyaoff teams.

    And I kinda think that the defense that you have copied from the bears is something that rexie boy is familiar with. Just a thought. We do have one of the top 3 defenses in the leauge the lst two years. And he practises aginst it ans schemes against it every week.

    And we have probably the best offesive line in the league. You won't touch him. No one has yet.

    This week you are not playing a hurt reskins team or a hurt carolina team that makes simply stupid playcalls.

    This is a finely tuned machine that espn has said might be the most fit team in the league right now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,072

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    "bearsfanmn" wrote:

    Tenacious defense??????/
    The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning si shiver at the thought O f the Washington Redskins minus there running back and the Carolina offense minus there
    reciever and biggest weapon. Your tenacious defense have beaten two no plyaoff teams.

    And I kinda think that the defense that you have copied from the bears is something that rexie boy is familiar with. Just a thought. We do have one of the top 3 defenses in the leauge the lst two years. And he practises aginst it ans schemes against it every week.

    And we have probably the best offesive line in the league. You won't touch him. No one has yet.

    This week you are not playing a hurt reskins team or a hurt carolina team that makes simply stupid playcalls.

    This is a finely tuned machine that espn has said might be the most fit team in the league right now.
    I am impressed!
    You spelled 6 or 7 of those long words correct!


    Who said Bear fans "Caint reed ur rite"!

    Ok...seriously....

    The Vikes have won two games against teams that the "experts" have said would go far in the playoffs.
    Yes they had some injury issues....
    we can only play the team they put in front of us.

    I will not say the Bears are not a good team.
    They are a very talented team.
    BUT, using your same logic....who the hell have the Bears played?
    You beat up on a couple weak teams.
    In fact I dont think a single "expert" picked either of them to make the playoffs.
    You are playing an improved team in OUR house.
    Can the Bears win...yes...will they??
    HELL NO!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

  7. #7
    HornedHat's Avatar
    HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    605

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    O sure, the Bears are tough. They will certainly be favored. They should win, and I won't be surprised if they do; however, this team can beat them. They believe, and so do I. These teams play each other every tear, twice a year. They are always tough games, no matter who the 'best' team is supposed to be. I seriously doubt that the Bears will beat us as soundly as they beat their other games, if they win. This will be close, and I love the character of the 2006 Vikes to perservere and win at the end.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    "bearsfanmn" wrote:
    "Ultrapurple" wrote:
    As I see it we got a couple of things going for us. First, I agree with Mr Sharper. Our Defense is alot better then what Rexie boy has Faced so far this year. Second and Much more Importently, in the back of Rexie boys mind,........his season has ended the last 2 years against The Minnesota Vikings. He was put on the shelf by a defense, not even HALF as tenacious as what he will be Facing come Sunday. Even without Erasmushe's gonna know that those guys, up front. From Minnesota,.....they just flat out BRING IT!! And maybe that'll get in his head a little,.....and he'll rush a few throws. And Mr. Sharper and company,.........will pick the bears clean!!! Thats what I'm hoping for!
    Tenacious defense??????/
    The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning si shiver at the thought O f the Washington Redskins minus there running back and the Carolina offense minus there
    reciever and biggest weapon. Your tenacious defense have beaten two no plyaoff teams.

    And I kinda think that the defense that you have copied from the bears is something that rexie boy is familiar with. Just a thought. We do have one of the top 3 defenses in the leauge the lst two years. And he practises aginst it ans schemes against it every week.

    And we have probably the best offesive line in the league. You won't touch him. No one has yet.

    This week you are not playing a hurt reskins team or a hurt carolina team that makes simply stupid playcalls.

    This is a finely tuned machine that espn has said might be the most fit team in the league right now.
    Yeah, playing the Packers who will probably be in the top 3 worst teams in the league, and the Lions who are, well, the Lions is much better than playing the Redskins and Panthers who were both playoff teams last season.
    Injuries or not, this is the NFL and every team has to deal with them.

    Truth is, the Bears are on the road playing in the Dome where they haven't won since 2001.
    It won't be a cakewalk like it was against GB and Detroit.
    Look for the Dome-home team to prevail once again.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

  9. #9
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    "bearsfanmn" wrote:
    "Ultrapurple" wrote:
    As I see it we got a couple of things going for us. First, I agree with Mr Sharper. Our Defense is alot better then what Rexie boy has Faced so far this year. Second and Much more Importently, in the back of Rexie boys mind,........his season has ended the last 2 years against The Minnesota Vikings. He was put on the shelf by a defense, not even HALF as tenacious as what he will be Facing come Sunday. Even without Erasmushe's gonna know that those guys, up front. From Minnesota,.....they just flat out BRING IT!! And maybe that'll get in his head a little,.....and he'll rush a few throws. And Mr. Sharper and company,.........will pick the bears clean!!! Thats what I'm hoping for!
    Tenacious defense??????/
    The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning si shiver at the thought O f the Washington Redskins minus there running back and the Carolina offense minus there
    reciever and biggest weapon. Your tenacious defense have beaten two no plyaoff teams.

    And I kinda think that the defense that you have copied from the bears is something that rexie boy is familiar with. Just a thought. We do have one of the top 3 defenses in the leauge the lst two years. And he practises aginst it ans schemes against it every week.

    And we have probably the best offesive line in the league. You won't touch him. No one has yet.

    This week you are not playing a hurt reskins team or a hurt carolina team that makes simply stupid playcalls.

    This is a finely tuned machine that espn has said might be the most fit team in the league right now.
    Uhhh, if i remember correctly, Portis did play, and if I remember correctly that injured portis had more TD's in that game and your ENTIRE RB squad combined for the year so far.... I guess either your squad just sucks or he really wasn't too injured... I'll leave that up to you.

    No one's touched your QB b/c you've played no one. Go up against some real competition then try saying something...

    I everything that ESPN says is true, then we should have probably been in the superbowl last year. And Carolina wouldn't be 0-2. and the Vikings would be 0-2, not the 2-0 they are now.

    Finally, I don't care if you had the best defense for the past 1000000 years, it all matters about the here and now. Just be ready for the pain, because it's coming. Oh, and who's your backup qb? You may need him on sunday...

    EDIT: I see you have Griese, who is a staggering 100% completion rate this year. 1/1 for 5 yds. Sweet. That offense is something amazing....
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  10. #10
    grpape is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    541

    Re: Sharper confident Vikings can slow Bears' early run

    It's gonna be your typical Bears Vikings game in the Dome. Low scoring, tough, defensive struggle. It seems that every year we split the games (the home team taking the W). It'll be fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sharper talking to the Bears?
    By Big Matt in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
  2. Bears confident rookie Forte can shoulder load
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
  3. Bears set up early nfc north showdown
    By thevikingfan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 01:18 AM
  4. We looked good early against the bears
    By Eyedea in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
  5. da Bears Seem Confident...
    By SKOL in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 11:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •