Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Sharper is a Beast!

I remeber when we first signed him this offseason, alot of fans including myself didn't really like the idea or the money we payed for him, but man isn't it worth it. There's no doubt that if he stays healthy he will be in the pro bowl. I jumped the gun when we signed him but there where a couple things i should have factored in, really he is only 29 years old (which isn't bad for a safety) and he played hurt last year, some people dont understand how much an injury can effect a player.

Here is a good article on him! He's gonna be a beast for us!

Vikings: In Sharper's case, seeing is believing
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    September 14, 2005

Darren Sharper, ever the showman, embraced the spotlight as the Fox television cameras focused on him Sunday during pregame warmups at the Metrodome.

"I know one thing," Sharper said, looking down at the camera. "Anyone who said I wouldn't look good in purple, look at me now. Look at me now."

It's hard to believe even Sharper could have realized just how good he would look in his first regular-season game wearing a purple jersey after eight seasons in Packers green and gold.

"Ewwwww, he had a heck of a game," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said, smiling.

That might have been an understatement. In a day filled with frustration for the Vikings offense, Sharper was the star of what appears to be a much improved defense.

Sharper picked off a Brian Griese pass intended for Joey Galloway and returned it 88 yards for a first-quarter touchdown.

It was the Vikings' longest interception return for a score in 14 years and the team's only touchdown in a 24-13 loss to Tampa Bay.

But the free safety's effectiveness went beyond one play. He had eight tackles -- ranking second on the team -- broke up two passes and contributed a special-teams tackle.

"He made plays all over the field," said Vikings coach Mike Tice. "He probably could have had another two picks, we're happy with the one he did have. He was in three-deep coverage right there and jumped the route. We haven't seen that in a while."

A long, long while. And that's exactly why the team made Sharper part of its defensive makeover. One of five new starters acquired either via free agency or trade, the 29-year-old was signed after refusing to accept a $4 million pay cut from the Packers.

The Vikings were willing to gamble that Sharper still had ability that had been masked by a knee injury suffered last October. Sharper missed only one game after suffering a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee against Dallas, but his effectiveness was severely limited.

"Last year I would go out there and I couldn't bend sometimes," Sharper said. "I'd be stretching, and it would be hard for me to stand up, do a squat. That's how bad my leg felt, how weak it was. ... Now, I don't even think about it. Actually, it's feeling better than my other leg now. That's the weird part about it."

Sunday's touchdown gave Sharper eight since he entered the NFL in 1997, most by any defensive player in the league over that span.

"It definitely felt good," said Sharper, who has returned his past three interceptions for touchdowns. "You always want to make a good impression in your first game, especially in a new uniform, a new town. Fans here have seen me make plays like that before but it's usually against them. It's good to let them know, and let my teammates know, that I'm here to really contribute by bringing that big-play ability and also being a leader for this defense."

Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield wasn't surprised, saying: "He has been doing that every practice. We know what type of player he is. He is going to definitely help us out this year."

If he stays healthy, Sharper also might prove he is far from the washed-up player some suspected when the Packers severed ties.

"You definitely hear those things," he said. "Any team, especially when you come to a contract situation, it's all a negotiating or bargaining tool for them to use. The business side of things, they always want to get you at a cheaper price than what you are really worth.

"You hear those talks about people saying, 'Well, OK, he's 29 and he's this and that. Even though he played hurt last year, we still think that he might have slowed down a little bit.' You do use those things as motivation. But I never looked at it as if I had to really prove anything because I knew that if I was healthy, I'm one of the best players at my position in the league."

Judd Zulgad is at [email protected]

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Sharper is a Beast!

Yes, Sharper and Smoot are a considerable upgrade over BRussell and BWilliams. And I actually like Brian Russell, I think he kind of got the shaft in Minnesota. Has anyone else ever lead the league in INT's and not been in the pro bowl. That was messed up.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah but dude, did you see him getting schooled on ESPN in a Browns uniform, my god the dude does not belong as a starter in the league, i have come to the conclusion. He has no speed or quickness but he can lay a hit. After watching sharper sunday you get a feel for what a real safety is supposed to play like.

Hey and the guy can move to, Sharper was cooking pretty good on that INT!

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

I like that we have two safeties that can step up and hit. B Russell never impressed me unless he was playing center field and the ball was thrown right to him.

[color=red]

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

One game folks, let's wait until we see that stuff consistently. The thing I don't want to see is you same people coming in here b!tch!ng when Sharper get's burnt because of poor coverage/tackling or he takes a bad angle. I want him to suceed as much as the next vikings fan, but I'm going to wait and see what goes on for a couple more weeks before I put him in the hall (I'm not saying that is what you're doing though).

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VikingsM4 is offline Rookie

I must say I have never been so proud of my sig.....Sharps heading to the pro bowl this year! :razz: :lol: :shock:

Pep MVP, 05-06

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I think this year will redefine Sharper. I realize it is only 1 game, but he seems to have intensity and wants to send a message to the Pack and his critics that he can still be a force on the field!

Go Darren!

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

"MensaTice" wrote:
    I like that we have two safeties that can step up and hit. B Russell never impressed me unless he was playing center field and the ball was thrown right to him.
    Yes after 03 I wasn't sure if Russell was good or lucky. In 04 we found out he was lucky.

Sharper is good. He is a risk taker (which I like). He may give up a TD, but he will save many more and score some on his own.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Anyone who dosnt think this guys for real is a idoit. D-Sharp simply looked nothin short of Incredible Sunday. I was glad we got this guy in here from day 1. Ya its the first game...but hey...I think our defense can play better....imagine them all playing better including him...ooooweee its a crazy thought!:-D

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I think this year will redefine Sharper. I realize it is only 1 game, but he seems to have intensity and wants to send a message to the Pack and his critics that he can still be a force on the field!

Go Darren!
    I think all the bad pub about him was from Packer fans who wanted to convince themselves he wasn't the same player anymore. The guy led the NFC in intereceptions last year, that's not too damn bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast