View Poll Results: What do you think of the Vikings drafting Sharrif Floyd at 23?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The steal of the first round

12 60.00%
  • Good move

7 35.00%
  • Bad move

1 5.00%

Thread: Shariff Floyd

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Helmut Shariff Floyd

There's a new sheriff in town who's here to join Jared Allen lasso up some more quarterbacks and other scums.

Welcom to Minnesota, Sherrif Floyd!

Anyone foresaw the Vikings drafting Sharrif with their #23 draft selection? I sure as hell didn't. Sharrif was so far of my radar that I barely did any research on him before the draft. I have done some research now however and I really like what I've learned. I can easily understand why he was projected to go as high as in the top 3 in many mock drafts. He has an interesting background story by the way. I recommend reading about it.

What jumps at me the most about Floyd is his impressive quickness for a man his size and his versatility. I believe he's a 4th down player as he's good against both the run and the pass, and can also block kicks on special teams.

How Will The Vikings Use Sherrif Floyd?

Floyd can play all over the line, but I think his strongest position is definitely as a 3-technique defensive tackle in our 4-3 scheme and that's how the Vikings will want to use him. Unfortunately, the Vikings already have a good 3-technique player in Kevin Williams and is more in need of a nose tackle.

However, I think it's fully possible to play both Kevin Williams and Sherrif Floyd on the inside together. Both Kevin and Sherrif are versatile lineman and the coaches could switch them around on the inside and as a bonus causing confusion for the offense.

I believe Floyd will eventually replace Kevin in one or two years and by then we have found a true nose tackle, but as for the moment I like the idea of Kevin and Floyd switching it up in the middle.

Click on thumbnail to view image >> sharrif.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If he is the SOD I just hope Onterrio Smith doesn't hand him the Whizzinator torch.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Hey hey! Jesse Williams is still available after day 2. Perhaps we might get a chance to draft our nose tackle afterall. Crossing my fingers...

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If he is the SOD I just hope Onterrio Smith doesn't hand him the Whizzinator torch.
    The thing about being the steal of the draft is that we really do not know whom it is until years later.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Link to video about growing up and becoming a football player:

Finding Sharrif Floyd
    NFL Network: Finding Sharrif Floyd

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Hmm.. wondering why the Cowboys doesn't like Sharrif as a DT in a 4-3 scheme.

"Would you have liked the right 3-technique if he would have been there? Would we maybe have used that pick on one, if one was there? But he wasn't there. The 3-technique wasn't there at 18."
    - Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jone

Dallas Cowboys considered drafting defensive tackle

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Hmm.. wondering why the Cowboys doesn't like Sharrif as a DT in a 4-3 scheme.

- Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jone

Dallas Cowboys considered drafting defensive tackle
    You really have to scratch your head over the approach the Cowgirls took to the draft this year. On would think they would have put a primary emphasis on getting their new D-coord the right people to play his scheme instead of doing what they did......

31 Dallas Cowboys Travis Frederick C
    47 Dallas Cowboys Gavin Escobar TE
    74 Dallas Cowboys Terrance Williams WR
    80 Dallas Cowboys J. J. Wilcox S
    114 Dallas Cowboys B.W. Webb CB
    151 Dallas Cowboys Joseph Randle RB
    185 Dallas Cowboys DeVonte Holloman LB
    ......especially with their first 3 picks. I don't think Shariff came into play for them at all, nor do I think that any of the other top DT's drew interest for them.

They clearly wanted to help make Romo look like he was worth the signing....defense be damned.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

There's a new sheriff in town who's here to join Jared Allen lasso up some more quarterbacks and other scums.

Welcom to Minnesota, Sherrif Floyd!

Anyone foresaw the Vikings drafting Sharrif with their #23 draft selection? I sure as hell didn't. Sharrif was so far of my radar that I barely did any research on him before the draft. I have done some research now however and I really like what I've learned. I can easily understand why he was projected to go as high as in the top 3 in many mock drafts. He has an interesting background story by the way. I recommend reading about it.

What jumps at me the most about Floyd is his impressive quickness for a man his size and his versatility. I believe he's a 4th down player as he's good against both the run and the pass, and can also block kicks on special teams.

How Will The Vikings Use Sherrif Floyd?

Floyd can play all over the line, but I think his strongest position is definitely as a 3-technique defensive tackle in our 4-3 scheme and that's how the Vikings will want to use him. Unfortunately, the Vikings already have a good 3-technique player in Kevin Williams and is more in need of a nose tackle.

However, I think it's fully possible to play both Kevin Williams and Sherrif Floyd on the inside together. Both Kevin and Sherrif are versatile lineman and the coaches could switch them around on the inside and as a bonus causing confusion for the offense.

I believe Floyd will eventually replace Kevin in one or two years and by then we have found a true nose tackle, but as for the moment I like the idea of Kevin and Floyd switching it up in the middle.

Click on thumbnail to view image >> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharrif.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	481
    I think your gonna see alot of K-dubb and Shariff in the same rotation. Just like your going to see alot of him and Ballard (at the 3) and Guion (at the 3). This cat can and will play the 1 alot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think your gonna see alot of K-dubb and Shariff in the same rotation. Just like your going to see alot of him and Ballard (at the 3) and Guion (at the 3). This cat can and will play the 1 alot.
    Which "cat"? Sherrif Floyd?

Which "cat"? Sherrif Floyd?
    Yes sir. He could move 3 lineman at the collegiate level. With some NFL level strength conditioning, some coaching and a bit more muscle/mass, he will be able to move at least 2 at the NFL level.