Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I agree with all except if the top-10 defensive players are all gone along with Manziel, we WILL trade down. Spielman really REALLY wants more picks, and Zimmer won't over-reach for defensive talent.
    Obviously, some choices will boil down to how the dominoes fall...but, I would not be surprised if we go offense early and often, and Zim plans to "coach up the defense." Extra picks still speeds up the rebuild, specially in a "deep draft."

Also, while I have been pining for us to address LB and CB semi-early in the draft, that same theory could be applied to the young potential we have at those positions. With Rhodes and Munerlyn starting, perhaps Robinson, Prater or Cox can exceed expectations as the third guy. Maybe Mauti, Hodges or Cole is ready for a bigger role at LB...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    More and more mock drafts have Bortles falling to us, and I don't know how I feel about that. Bridgewater has spent 3 days with the Vikings, and I get the same feeling about him; I haven't seen anything in them that separates them from someone like Geno Smith.

If we are going to go "QB or bust" with #8, I would prefer a true make or break guy like Manziel, or just trade back and get a project if the coaches aren't willing to risk drafting JFM. Either way we go, I will be putting all my optimism to work on next year's team.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Full First Round Mock With Trades, Twists

According to recent reports, the Vikings are hoping to land Mack in the first round. The No. 8 pick wonít get it done, though. So instead, they trade up with the Rams to snag Mack at No. 2, and end up getting one of the best playmakers in recent history.
    QB of the Defense!??

Now that is a somewhat refreshing and different look at things! I highly doubt it happens but what the hell, we've heard about every other rumor this offseason. Unfortunately, according to ye ole trade chart, no.2 is a long, long ways away from no.8...roughly our first 3 picks this year and our 2nd rounder next, or maybe, they'd do it for next year's first and a later pick this year like a 4 or 5. Supposedly, less teams want to move up this year, because of the depth, perhaps, they'd take a bit less...

But, I just don't see us giving up so many picks this year for anybody...too many other needs, and especially in this scenario where we still need at least a project of a QB. Giving up 3 picks this year and a 2nd rounder next pretty much puts the words "multiple year rebuilding project" in our mouths...

I'm really starting to hate this whole late draft move...more BS than ever before, waiting longer to see our new coaches' vision and direction, and worse yet!? Pretty sure I saw that there is a mini camp early May that they'll be missing...that won't help the rookies.

Holy Freaking WOW!! I know I've liked a lot of Vikings Mocks, and I think that our extra pick in this Deep draft is a big part of why, as in, it's more likely than not I will like who we pick...But,

Here's my new favorite: 2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

1. Barr-a potentially elite pass rusher, he would most likely not start or play every down at OLB in year one, but would immediately be one hell of a threat rushing the passer from behind the strength we have built along our D-Line...and getting double digit sacks from a part time rookie is fine with me.
    2. Louis Nix-Did I say Strength!??!? Are you kidding me!?! Adding this 330 lbs of man-moving monster to our already impressive DL rotation would certainly scare most QBs, specially ones with shaky, oft-injured O-Lines who lost their starting Center in Free Agency!!! (Psssst! Hey...Raaahdjerrrzzz! BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!)

Kevin Williams is gone, so the Vikings will need another defensive tackle to pair with Sharrif Floyd and Linval Joseph. Louis Nix is the top player available. Besides, it seems like Rick Spielman is contractually obligated to pick a Notre Dame player in every draft.
    HaaaHa!

3. Tom Savage-All the QBs this year are projects...why not draft the one with the name most likely to be attached to a real Viking!?? Seriously tho, at 6'4" 228 lbs he seems worth a 3rd round gamble, specially since we have somebody to start this year and maybe next and let him simmer on the sidelines and work on his issues.

3.b. Craig Loston, S LSU-big, hard hitting safety who is better vs. the run than pass. He might beat out Sanford and Sendejo in year one, or give us another mediocre safety who helps out STs.

4. Devonta Freeman, RB FSU-Yeah, we need a backup RB, but I think I'd go LG earlier and RB later...

5. Tevin Smith, OLB FSU-actually, I kind of see this guy as a big Safety...?

6. Anthony Steen, OG Alabama-would be a good value OG prospect in the 6th...

On a side note, I know its a deep draft and I do think we'll try to trade back for extra picks if we're not super sold on who's there at 8...but what do you guys think about trading some of this years picks for next year's picks? Sure, easier to do if we can trade back and still add some help this year, but what I'm thinking is that we may want to have some extra ammo to move up next year for Winston, Bryce or Mariota...

2014 NFL mock draft: Making sense of the trade rumors - SBNation.com

Pretty interesting take on it...has us trading back with the 49ers but then back up to Miami's no.19 to snag Bortles.

We would likely get picks: 30, 56, 61, and 94 from the 49ers and only have to give up our third (72 overall) to move the first we got from the 49ers back up to 19...

Leaving us with 3 picks in the 2nd round and 2 in the third as well as our 4-7 to continue building a team around our QB!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12