tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Secondary depth gives Frazier sense of relief

Frazier said injuries and a lack of depth have kept the Vikings from using man coverages on a consistent basis since 2009. Inconsistent safety play didn't help either, Frazier said.
    Sounds like he is open to using more man coverage. We'll see how it plays out, not sure we have the guys for it yet.

Kind of amusing how an opponent's coach called him after a game and told him he needs to do something about our woeful secondary.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    I am a little surprised that I am actually worried more about our LB's more than our secondary right now. Outside of Greenway, I don't have alot of confidence in who we have.

iowa is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Garland Greene View Post
    I am a little surprised that I am actually worried more about our LB's more than our secondary right now. Outside of Greenway, I don't have alot of confidence in who we have.
    x2, I'm hoping some of the young guys can step up and contribute,Audie looks promising so far.
    None

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Audie is nice, with lots of props from NC. Talking with him last night what I think is key is he mentioned that he had a good read on the play each time and jumped. You can't teach instinct or ball hawking skills....he may only make the team as a 3rd, but I think he gets the shot... If nothing else than to put pressure on Jasper. Brinkley has lots of talent but 5 years in hasn't paid the freight. (but limited FT status) Sorry to say.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Depth in that not so many players are injured?

What about talent? Do the Vikings have talent depth? I just do not see it on the field.

Chris Carr is a starter at cornerback? Really?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Depth in that not so many players are injured?

What about talent? Do the Vikings have talent depth? I just do not see it on the field.

Chris Carr is a starter at cornerback? Really?
    Yes, depth in that they had several bodies that weren't injured. But his comments were prior to Friday's game.

Now with 6 DB's hurt in that game, the Vikings are scouting the wire for safeties just so they can have them for this Thursdays game..

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yes, depth in that they had several bodies that weren't injured. But his comments were prior to Friday's game.

Now with 6 DB's hurt in that game, the Vikings are scouting the wire for safeties just so they can have them for this Thursdays game..
    Perhaps the Vikings should check the wire for veteran cornerbacks that have been released by other teams. The Vikings need players that can read, react, and move to the football. Players like Antione Winfield that may not be able to play top corner anymore would be worth a look to play safety - especially veteran players that are familiar with the Tampa 2.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am concerned about the majority of the defense. The DE's will be fine and while some guys think the DT situation is bad, it is actually probably the deepest part of the defense. But once you get to the LB and secondary units we are so young and unproven that they cannot afford injures.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am concerned about the majority of the defense. The DE's will be fine and while some guys think the DT situation is bad, it is actually probably the deepest part of the defense. But once you get to the LB and secondary units we are so young and unproven that they cannot afford injures.
    I think we will continue to see plenty of issues from our secondary and LB crew this year as well. I'm hoping for significant improvement in the secondary, but even with that, it will make us mediocre at best in that area. Lots of youth and new players along with a new DC. Throw injuries on top of that and it could go back to last years debacle.

Mostly, I just want to see improvement throughout the year.

The problem with the Tampa 2 is that weak links can get exploited. It requires better than average personnel in the secondary and relies a lot on cover safeties and ball hawking corners to go along with line pressure.

The Vikings have line pressure, but the secondary has been one of the worst in the NFL over the past few seasons and the Vikings coaches have not been able to modify the scheme to keep the defense from being exploited.