Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings: Search is on for fullback

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    Slow news day, eh?

I think we're ok in the FB department for now.
    Richardson was a huge loss. IMO he's was one of the few bright spots for '06
    Kliensausage can't chew gum and run at the same time
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

In 1999 he did terrific at fullback blocking for Robert Smith and Leroy Hoard. He also caught some balls out of the backfield.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    In 1999 he did terrific at fullback blocking for the Vikes.
    I don't think they made Jimmy K. a TE until 2003 or 2004, so he played FB for about 5 years at that position. That's when he changed his number from #85 to #40.

Although Jimmy seems to be the obvious choice, I'm not sure what Childress is going to do. Owens, Jimmy & Dugan are all on the active roster & he could play either of the 3. Kliensasser is the best blocker of the 3 IMO.

Will we have an extra spot on the roster once they place Tony on IR? Dugan was brought up last week in case Richardson couldn't play with the broken thumb & Carter was signed when Glenn was placed on IR, but we also should have Smoot, Napo & Robinson back this week as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

As you said Singer, Cater is active this week. I hope he gets a chance to show his stuff -- if he has it!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"PurplePride80" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Jimmy K has always been a FB IMO, moving him to TE was not a good decision.
    Agreed.

I don't think he's ever been suited to play TE, but he's always been able to block with the best of them.
    Also agreed, but just wanted to add that back at UND, the mofo could run too! I, for one, would be excited to see Jimmy back in the FB role.

[size=13pt]Vikings: Tight end replaces injured Richardson at fullback[/size]

Jeff Dugan will move into a key blocking position after the team's starter suffered a fractured right arm.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 18, 2006 – 12:59 AM

Jeff Dugan hasn't had much of an opportunity to make game-day contributions to the Vikings over the past two seasons.
    Since appearing in 16 games, including the playoffs, as a rookie in 2004, Dugan has been inactive for 23 of 25 contests.

That playing-time drought could come to a halt Sunday in Miami; Dugan appears the logical choice to replace the injured Tony Richardson at fullback. The media is not allowed to watch the Vikings' full-team practice sessions, but by all accounts Dugan received the majority of reps at fullback this week.

"He's done some things back there," coach Brad Childress said. "It's hard to tell the speed of the game. You can't simulate it, but he's done a good job. He's a smart guy."

Richardson broke his right arm last Sunday against Green Bay and Childress expects the veteran soon will be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list. Dugan's performance Sunday could determine how aggressively the Vikings pursue a free-agent fullback next week.

The workmanlike, soft-spoken Dugan simply says of this opportunity, "I'll try my best."

Although he is listed as a tight end on the Vikings roster and hasn't played fullback in an NFL game, the 6-4, 258-pound Dugan has been taking snaps at the position all season in practice. Childress had Dugan active for the first time this year against the Packers because Richardson had a fractured right thumb.

Tight end Richard Owens also played some fullback during offseason minicamps, and Jim Kleinsasser was used in the role of H-back in the offense run by former coach Mike Tice. Kleinsasser is not believed to be on Childress' radar as a fullback in the West Coast offense.

The Vikings signed Richardson and Joey Goodspeed as free-agent fullbacks before the season, but Goodspeed tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during a May minicamp.

"If my recollection serves, we might have been down a fullback one of those days in [training] camp where we needed somebody to go in there and see if they could do that so we didn't stay in the one-back all the time," Childress said.

"We stuck him in there in some inside drills, which is [when the] fur is flying pretty good, and he gave a good accounting for himself. It was not real natural, but he became natural and he ended up starting practice with the running backs."

Kleinsasser warns that if Dugan does get an opportunity to serve as the lead blocker for running back Chester Taylor things figure to look different than they ever did at tight end.

"When you're lined up at tight end, you've got to work on your technique, your footwork and you've got to play off the guy a little bit," Kleinsasser said. "When you're coming out of the backfield, that linebacker knows you're coming at him, you know you're coming at him. It's basically just lower your shoulder and get an angle on him. It's a little more brutal."

Richardson provided Dugan with plenty of tips on how to clear out oncoming linebackers and pick up blitzes.

"He helps you a lot," Dugan said. "Any questions, no matter how easy or remedial it is, he'd answer anything."

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

Re: Search is on for fullback - Dugan gets the nod

Posted on Sat, Nov. 18, 2006

[size=13pt]Dugan moves to fullback[/size]

Without Richardson, team needs quick fix

BY DON SEEHOLZER and KELSIE SMITH
    Pioneer Press

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Search is on for fullback - Dugan moves to fullback

Well now we know who's been picked out. Good luck to Dugan, just hope that the coaches have seen something special in practice this week to warrant him being picked ahead of Jimmy K.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Dugan will do just fine!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I had a feeling he wasn't going to choose Jimmy K. I hope Dugan is at least put in there on some passing plays to protect Brad a little better when someone goes around McKinnie to get to Brad.

Perhaps they feel he is more speedy & has better hands if they decide to throw to him as well. I'm sure blocking & opening holes wasn't the only thing they had in mind for him to do when they chose him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123