Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Screw Red McCombs

AMEN. Tell Red to invest or get out. We've been wretching since his infamous talk last year after the Giants game. He's a tumor, no doubt.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Screw Red McCombs

TNT ur back. I was wondering what happened to you

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Screw Red McCombs

30 million under the cap is pretty remarkable, good job by Rob brezinski. Let's hope to god we can land some valuable FA this year, especially on defense.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Screw Red McCombs

Red = POS

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Screw Red McCombs

"PurpleReign" wrote:
    Some people are blaming two years worth of collapses on the coaching staff. others are blaming the players. Why is nobody blaming Red McCombs? After all, it's his team. He chooses the coaching staff. He determines who plays for this team or not.

Remember in '98, '99, '00 when he actually cared about winning? Now all's he does is beeyatch about neededing a new stadium, hardly shows up at games anymore, sends his daughter to owners meetings, and gives comments to Sports Illustrated and newspapers in Los Angeles and San Antonio that have hidden meanings or are just plain non-sensical.

Let's assume for a minute that Tice is not back next year. Who do you expect to see riding into town on a white horse next year to save the day? Jimmy Johnson? Jim Fassell? Mike Holmgren? Bud Grant? Bill Walsh? No NFL coach will work for the $700K Red pays Tice. Hell, no D-I college coach would. Norm Chow, Nick Saban, Mac Brown, etc.

It's one thing when Ron Gardenhire (Twins), Flip Saunders (Wolves), and Jacques LeMair (Wild) make more than Tice. But consider that over at the U Glen Mason (football), Dan Monson (men's b-ball), Don Lucia (men's hockey), and J Robinson (wrestling) all make more, and women's basketball coach Pam Borden makes almost as much herself. Still think Red will fork out the dough for a top tier NFl/college coach? If you think Mike Tice is the bottom of the coaching barrell, just wait. Be careful what we wish for. We can still sink lower.

Players: Wanna know why we are set to be around $30,000,000 under the cap for the 2nd year in a row? Partly due to the genius that is Rob Bryzinski, but mostly because Red only spent above the league's required minimum. Yes, we got Antoine Winfield, but we could have also had plenty to spare to go after one or more of the following" Jevon Kearse, hugh Douglass, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Jeremiah Trottier, Jason Gildon, Bertrand Berry, John Lynch, or Warren Sapp.

Only Kearse may have been realistically out of our price range, but not by much. What about this off-season? Think we will pursue a guy like Peter Boulware, or look for more Keith Newman's? Ty Law or a few more Derek Ross's? The man bought the team for $280m and it is now worth $600m, yet he claims he's losing money? Sell's out every game, yet can't put .02 back into the team?

until he sells the team, to somebody local, this is the fate of our beloved Purple. We can hope for Glen Taylor or Dick Shultz of Best Buy, but what about some others? Look at all the Fortune 500 companies here: Target, Best Buy, General Mills, US Bank, Medtronic, St Paul Companies, 3M, Carlson, Wells Fargo 9They are "technically" base din San Fran, but in 1997 Minneapolis-based Norwest bought Wells fargo, and changed their name to Wells Fargo, and moved to San Fran. In the last 4 years, they have moved the bulk of their operations and company execs back to Minneapolis).

Regardless, the point is there are plenty of people or groups of people with the money and means to buy the team from Red, if he drops his rediculous price of $680,000,000. The only hope for this franchise and it's fans is that he does.

Soon.
    I agree with your statement but your colors are killing my eyes.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Screw Red McCombs

Small request for you purplereign, do you think you could type in darker words. Had a hard time trying to read your post with the words pretty light.
    THanks.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Storm is offline Pro-Bowler

Screw Red McCombs

Great post, agreed on all points.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Screw Red McCombs

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    Small request for you purplereign, do you think you could type in darker words. Had a hard time trying to read your post with the words pretty light.
    THanks.
    Hold down the left mouse button and drag down to highlight the post. :thumbleft:

WWBGD

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Screw Red McCombs

McCombs: The reason I am staying over today is that we have our annual Christmas party tonight. Since the first year we got here it's always been a really special time, so that is primarily the reason I'm here today. Obviously it'll take a little different meaning to so many of the families because of the outcome of yesterday's game, and that's just a normal thing that happens in this business. So we'll try to do what we can to take the edge off of that, but we like this particular event at this time of the year because all of our coaches, and indeed all of our staff, are working seven day weeks and working nights, so the families really don't get to see much of them for an extended period of time. This has always been a special event, and I know that it will be tonight. We'll try to focus more on how fortunate we all are to be involved in this business. Today, I suspect, that in the state of Minnesota the conversation in every science laboratory, every working crew out building a highway, the guys out at the airport getting ready to fly planes, is going to be the Vikings and why did they have that stupid play there at the end of the game? Having said that, I try to always help our guys to understand that we're really in a very special situation to be able to have a meaningful role with the Vikings because if you're into football here in the NFL, you're playing with and against the very best in the world in what they do. We're involved in something that has universal interest, and we don't take that lightly. I feel very fortunate to be one of 32 owners. I'd feel a lot more fortunate if we won that ballgame yesterday, but at any rate that's where that is and that's why I'm here. I'm very happy to be here because I was on the outside for 30 years wanting to be an NFL owner, and I would be sitting in my office in San Antonio this morning discussing the various games that went on yesterday with the NFL, and I can tell you I like it a lot better when I can discuss it with me as the owner. I'll just share one little story with you and then take any questions if you have any. After that last play in Arizona last year, as you can well imagine, that was not a very happy trip flying back to San Antonio, and my 13-year-old grandson was seated facing me on the plane and there was not much conversation. As we were making our approach to land, I mentioned, "Joseph, tomorrow's a school day. Will the guys at school be teasing you about the game?" "Yes, sir, they will." And I said, "How do you react to that?" He said, "Well it's not the first time." He said, "I've had a little trouble with it for a while, but I kind of have a pretty good answer now that works for me." I said, "What is that?" He said, "Well I would rather lose and be the owner of the Vikings than to not be the owner." I said, "Well that's pretty good for a 13-year-old, pretty good logic." So that's kind of how I'm feeling today. I'd much rather be up here with a W, but I'd rather be here period than to not be here.

Q: You're talking like a man that might be taking the team off the market?
    A: Well on that question, as you know it's been the same answer now for the last two years. I've not been able to accomplish what has to happen here, and that's to get a stadium. If we find someone that I feel comfortable with that can do that, then we'll pass the baton to them. If we can't, then I'll keep moving to see if I can get it done.

Q: How strong is your support for Coach Tice?
    A: As strong as it can be. I don't know how it can be any stronger. I selected Mike for all the right reasons, and he has not disappointed me at all in those reasons. I think that he's done a very good job here, and we have a very good football team. We've got, as he said already, we've got to get 60 minutes of significant play on both sides of the ball to prove that to ourselves, but we also realize that every team that we play has very good football players and very good coaches. And you know when you get into this business you're so excited about getting in, but at the end of the day there's only going to be one of you standing. I've been a professional sports owner for 50 years. Unless you win the championship in whatever league you're in, that last game is a bummer because your last game is going to be a loss for that season unless you win it all. That is the challenge that all of us have that are in this business.

Q: Have you made a decision yet to pick up Mike's option next year?
    A: That comes up at the end of the season, and we'll be addressing it then.

Q: Is there any scenario where you would address it before that?
    A: No, we made that decision long ago. It's too distracting, and we'll be addressing that at the end of the season.

Q: Do you think it might be slightly more distracting being in limbo?
    A: Well the interesting thing is if we were in limbo, yes. Mike is not in limbo. Mike has a contract until the end of the season, and then we have an option to extend it a year. That's not in limbo at all.

Q: How did you react when he talked about the Washington position?
    A: When Mike called me about that, he said, "You're going to be seeing something here about this. I talked to a couple reporters." I said, "Mike, in this business I think you should be pleased that somebody wants you." So how did I react? I thought it was positive that someone in whatever role would think of Mike as a head coach because I think they should be thinking that way.

Q: Isn't that more of a distraction?
    A: Well not to me, and I don't think it was to Mike either. I don't think it was any distraction.

Q: What was said in the suite after that reverse pass?
    A: I don't believe we'd want to repeat all that, but obviously we were very disappointed. I did understand how it happened, and I do understand that when Mike is filtering those plays through that yes, he or any other head coach can, and sometimes does, change those plays, but you understand that when you make that change, you may be changing packages of your players. You're talking about a lot more things than just changing a play, and that clock is ticking. We try to avoid confusion as best we can in any situation, but as far as the play, I think I'm like every other fan out there. If it had worked it would have been great. It didn't work, so it wasn't too good.

Q: Do you ever go to Mike and give suggestions on what to try?
    A: Oh I have suggestions to Mike and to the coordinators usually several times a week. To the best of my knowledge they've never used any of them.

Q: When they lose then you could say they should have used your plays?
    A: No, no, they always say, "That's a good idea, pretty smart." (They say,) "That's a good idea." (I say,) "I didn't see it." (They say, "No, no, we didn't get it in the package, but that was a good idea." We play all the games that everybody else does. As I've told all of you many, many times, I was a fan a long time before I was an owner. I'm still very much a fan.

Q: Do you have expectations like Super Bowl or bust for these coaches?
    A: No, what I've tried to do over a career in looking at coaches is are they getting the most out of the players? Are the staff working well together and making their best efforts? Because I make the selection of the head coach. That's my role. Then the coach puts together his staff. Then you hope with that that you have your players all on the same page and the staff on the same page. I've never owned a team that I've seen anybody anymore together than what all of the people are in place on this team at this time, players, coaches, staff, all together.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Screw Red McCombs

Hey guys, look at it this way....

You have a company that you want to sell...

Your not that interested in it and you bought it because you knew it was a good investment and it scratched your itch and ego at the time to buy it.

So as a business man you want to leave your company in the best financial situation possible in order to not only get the most out of it but to also make it more appealing for people to want to buy it.

So on one hand I don't blame him as I would probably do the same thing...However, on the other hand as a fan I would want him to put the money in and get us some players.

YOu can't have both so until he sells this is what we can expect and we should learn to deal with it!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast