Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,507

    Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    Wonder how he feels after the Bronco's game.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3171056&name=nfl_nfc

    by: Doug Kretz
    posted: Friday, December 28, 2007
    |
    Print Entry
    filed under: Minnesota Vikings, Tarvaris Jackson

    As the Vikings prepare for what is likely their final game of the 2007 season, they should be looking at the QB position to determine if they need an upgrade....

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    Head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell obviously like the upside of second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson and believe he is the future of this franchise, but should he be the starter next year?

    The Vikings' coaches have to ask themselves if allowing Jackson to play, when he is obviously not ready to seize the moment, is hurting him more than giving him needed experience.
    It is a tough call to be sure.
    Obviously TJack wasn't ready this year, although he did come a lot further than I expected.
    If a good veteran QB becomes available in FA< then I think we make a play for him and let TJack and the vet battle for the starting job in training camp.
    This is the NFL, and nobody is guaranteed a starting spot.
    However, the FA market for QBs may not be all that this year...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell obviously like the upside of second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson and believe he is the future of this franchise, but should he be the starter next year?

    The Vikings' coaches have to ask themselves if allowing Jackson to play, when he is obviously not ready to seize the moment, is hurting him more than giving him needed experience.
    It is a tough call to be sure.
    Obviously TJack wasn't ready this year, although he did come a lot further than I expected.
    If a good veteran QB becomes available in FA< then I think we make a play for him and let TJack and the vet battle for the starting job in training camp.
    This is the NFL, and nobody is guaranteed a starting spot.
    However, the FA market for QBs may not be all that this year...
    I like that statement.

    In no way did I want to go into the year with TJ as the starter and I was ticked that they didn't bring in a better QB to compete for the last 2 years, but now that we have gone through the growing pains and sacrificed this years playoffs by going the route we did at QB, I expect the team to stand by him and do what it takes to get him ready for his third year,which I expect to be a productive one. If a vet comes along and doesn't cost us a high pick, then I am in favor of bringing them in, but I don't want to change direction now.

  4. #4
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    I like all the comments in here

    I totally agree with all

    We need to bring in a vet to compete for a job

    I don't think there will be much however

  5. #5
    Frostbite is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    966

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    He's going to have to earn the starting job next season in TC. I believe we will make a move to bring in another quality QB. Which one is anybodys guess. ???

    I would love to see a FA like Todd Collins land here and give us a couple of options on who should start depending on performance early in the pre-season.

    Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

  6. #6
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell obviously like the upside of second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson and believe he is the future of this franchise, but should he be the starter next year?

    The Vikings' coaches have to ask themselves if allowing Jackson to play, when he is obviously not ready to seize the moment, is hurting him more than giving him needed experience.
    It is a tough call to be sure.
    Obviously TJack wasn't ready this year, although he did come a lot further than I expected.
    If a good veteran QB becomes available in FA< then I think we make a play for him and let TJack and the vet battle for the starting job in training camp.
    This is the NFL, and nobody is guaranteed a starting spot.
    However, the FA market for QBs may not be all that this year...
    I like that statement.

    In no way did I want to go into the year with TJ as the starter and I was ticked that they didn't bring in a better QB to compete for the last 2 years, but now that we have gone through the growing pains and sacrificed this years playoffs by going the route we did at QB, I expect the team to stand by him and do what it takes to get him ready for his third year,which I expect to be a productive one. If a vet comes along and doesn't cost us a high pick, then I am in favor of bringing them in, but I don't want to change direction now.

    i agree with all your comments uffda. this will be a wasted year if we just scrap tjack next year.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  7. #7
    Mikecarter81's Avatar
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    823

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    A nice vet could help settle his nerves abit.
    Kind of like what Cris Carter did for Randy Moss in his first couple years. I would like ther guy to have a strong work erthic and having some starting in his past.
    A guy who can model prepartion and good mechanics.

    Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    Lets all remember that this year was to be nothing more than a chance to get our kids reps and use the on field experience as a means to accelerate thier progress.

    With that said, I believe all of them, including TJ made huge strides in thier playing level over the year.

    I will however, not be a homer and say that all of them, including TJ don't have alot of room to grow to be consistent in thier play next year.

    Lets hope the coaching staff saw enough to either let TJ play next year or have enough ammo to convince the front office that he isn't gonna be ready and a little bench time might be in order behind a vet.

    Two things that could negate that however,.....

    a.
    8-3 as a starter and if he can play close to what he did in the 4th qtr all the time then he has justified his role as the starter and upcoming star.
    b.
    Quality of Vets out there that are UFA.
    I am in no way convinced that this staff (not just the Chiller) go out and invest valuable draft picks on a guy to come in and supplant TJ as the starter.
    I believe, however, that they might go after a VET that is a UFA and improve the competion and provide a better backup to what we have.

    It sure would have been a plus this year if at times (First Lions Game/Skins Game) if the coaching staff could have had a option to go to when TJ struggles with a Scheme that he can't figure out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Mikecarter81's Avatar
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    823

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    Marrdo

    I can live with that point.

    mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

  10. #10
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Scouts Inc. - "Jackson Shouldn't Start in '08"

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Lets all remember that this year was to be nothing more than a chance to get our kids reps and use the on field experience as a means to accelerate thier progress.

    With that said, I believe all of them, including TJ made huge strides in thier playing level over the year.

    I will however, not be a homer and say that all of them, including TJ don't have alot of room to grow to be consistent in thier play next year.

    Lets hope the coaching staff saw enough to either let TJ play next year or have enough ammo to convince the front office that he isn't gonna be ready and a little bench time might be in order behind a vet.

    Two things that could negate that however,.....

    a.
    8-3 as a starter and if he can play close to what he did in the 4th qtr all the time then he has justified his role as the starter and upcoming star.
    b.
    Quality of Vets out there that are UFA.
    I am in no way convinced that this staff (not just the Chiller) go out and invest valuable draft picks on a guy to come in and supplant TJ as the starter.
    I believe, however, that they might go after a VET that is a UFA and improve the competion and provide a better backup to what we have.

    It sure would have been a plus this year if at times (First Lions Game/Skins Game) if the coaching staff could have had a option to go to when TJ struggles with a Scheme that he can't figure out.
    8-3 is irrelevent or any starting record for a QB in the NFL its a team game. They win together they loose together. I will say it again the record argument is pointless. No way is he responsible soley for those wins and in no way is he responsible soley for those losses. He may of contributed to them and in some games more than others either way. My example again is San Diego game. It was tied when he left the game The Vikings won the game when he was out.

    Daunte Culpepper was 11-5 his first 16 starts.
    Payton Manning was 3-13 his first 16 starts.

    So based off of that DC should of won at least 1 super Bowl while Manning was on his 3 or 4th team hoping to get some playing time.

    The draft is not an answer for QB. FA? well lets just see who happens to be out there first before we say that FA is not the answer either. My other question again is can we afford to grow with TJ as our starting QB? We are not Miami or atlanta who are teams that are a few years and quite a few players away form contending for the playoffs. We I beleive however are just that player or 2 away from it. Bench him is fine but if we keep throwing him out there he may be the one that ends up holding this team back.


    But I agree that another QB, and not a cast off from another team, one that has a legit chance to start, and has been a starter in the league and one that does not cost an arm and a leg to get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tarvaris Jackson will start at QB against Cardinals
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
  2. Childress discusses Jackson - Frerotte may start
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
  3. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM
  4. Holcomb will start if Jackson can't - QB for Sunday undecided
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM
  5. Vikings | T. Jackson to start Week 6
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •