mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Scouting The Schedule: The VIKINGS are coming!!

From Boston.com, a real good look into the Patsies schedule week by week, including, of course, the Vikings Visit to New England in week 8, right after playing the Pack at Lameblow...Doh! Did I mention the Pukers get their bye-week right before playing us AGAIN! I think, that makes like 4 of the past 6 years or so...?

Pretty good summary of where the Vikes are ATM, especially for somebody outside the area...he musta done some research, or watched a hell of a lot of football! B)

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/07/scouting_the_sc_5.html

This needs to happen to win big: Most importantly, Favre needs to return. If Favre surprises everyone and decides to retire, the Vikings could go from being one of the favorites in the NFC to being a middle of the pack team.

Tarvaris Jackson almost certainly would be the starter if Favre retires, and he has yet to prove he can be consistent in that role since being selected in the second round of the 2006 draft.
    Rice, who is still recovering from a hip injury suffered in the playoffs, is going to need to repeat his outstanding performance of 2009 and Harvin is going to have to remain a versatile threat. Harvin also was a standout as a kick returner (27.5-yard average and two touchdowns) and was elected to the Pro Bowl for his contributions in that area.

Harvin, though, battled migraine headaches for much of his rookie season and even missed a game because of the problem. Harvin went to the highly respected Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., last winter and came away with a plan that he and the team hopes can help manage the problem.

The Vikings are going to need improved play from safeties Tyrell Johnson and Madieu Williams, who combined for one interception last season. The Vikings’ play a Tampa-2 scheme which frequently means the safeties aren’t in position to pick off passes.

However, Johnson and Williams lack of aggressiveness at times was probably the most concerning factor about their play. Jamarca Sanford, a seventh-round pick in 2009, could challenge either Johnson or Williams for a starting job.
    The only thing I don't agree with is Tarvaris. I still contend that he could really enjoy some surprise success, not on his own, but because the team has improved around him, and he finally had a whole season to study from the sidelines behind an excellent QB.

(*disclaimer* provided, of course, we don't get dismantled by the injury bug, which can take out any team at any time, even one led by the mighty Favre*) :P

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

BAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Scouting The Schedule: The VIKINGS are coming!!

Thanks for the read my friend.

mountainviking wrote:
    The only thing I don't agree with is Tarvaris. I still contend that he could really enjoy some surprise success, not on his own, but because the team has improved around him, and he finally had a whole season to study from the sidelines behind an excellent QB.
    I'm with you on that. Funny, comments like that pervade around TJ, however, this is what they say about the Jets and Sanchez...

Where they stack up: The Jets are a trendy Super Bowl pick, but they’ll have a hard enough time getting past the Patriots (you know, the defending AFC East champions) and the upstart Dolphins. On paper, the Jets are loaded. Of course, football isn’t a two-dimensional game. If Sanchez can take a step forward and the new pieces make seamless transitions, the ingredients are there for another deep playoff run. Prediction: 11-5
    Seems to me, that team carried Sanchize last year, not the other way around. If anyone has proved anything, I would take what TJ has proved over a cat who threw 16 TD's to 22 INT's (12/20 reg season).

Course, TJ wasn't a highly touted draft prospect like Sanchez so entities like ESPN, who do the touting, by the way, don't want to hack on him (Sanchize) to hard or they would have to admit they touted in the wrong direction, now wouldn't they. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

My bet is that Sanchez will experience the sophmore slump just like last year's darling, Matt Ryan, did as defenses will have more tape to watch to come up with a better gameplan against him. Sure Holmes should help and LT can catch, but in Thomas Jones and Al Faneca, they let their two true Blue Collar Vets walk, and Faneca for a rookie might not be just what that OL ordered either. There's also all those egos, starting with the head coach and rolling right on through last year's team and their new acquisitions. It looks real good on paper, but it remains to be seen if they can really become a TEAM.

I love the Vikes quiet offseason! We only lost 3 backups to FA, and drafted or signed more potential at all three of those spots. From what we're hearing, our OL should be better than last season just by being healthier, and I expect the experience for first year starters Sully and Load and some general "gel" time to help too. Brinkley played well as a rookie backup and Sheppard seems like a good insurance policy for Griffen. With Cook, Sapp, and Allen we've got good nickel options and ST depth. And then there's that kicker. I have this gut feeling that Rhys kicking off could help more than most think...imagine, setting our defense up even further into enemy territory!? :P

I am seriously more worried about Rice or AP missing extended time than I am if the BF returns. Thing with Rice is BB and PH also missed time last season, and while I love the "Total Heart" Toby Gerhart pick, I sure as hell don't like the sound of a rookie being our No.1 back when we're used to AP & CT! But as a 1-2? Look the Fook OUT!! Get a lead and club them to death slowly with the hard hitting combo of AP and TG plus D!!! Which, would also happen to limit and lower the reps our QB has to take, whether its the old guy, or the more questionable one. Hmm, interesting note to fantasty values too!?

There was this logo around, with arm and hammer for BF and AP...how about this for them with Gerhart and our Defense?

ARM & HAMMER & ANVIL!?!??!?!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :lol: :silly: :woohoo:

"SKOL VIKINGS LETS WIN THE GAME!!!" :woohoo:

Cheers Marrdro! Good to hear from ya!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

On paper we should be better than the Patriots. The thing I worry about is coaching. In 2006 the Patriots absolutely embarrassed the Vikings and Childress in the metrodome.

jmcdon00 wrote:
    On paper we should be better than the Patriots. The thing I worry about is coaching. In 2006 the Patriots absolutely embarrassed the Vikings and Childress in the metrodome.
    All TOO True!!! IF I recall correctly, We had just returned from smoking the SeaChickens at Seattle with, I believe, a 6-0 record, and then the Pats came up with the perfect gameplan to shut us down and our season went swirling down the toilet. But, this time, its the Pats turn for rebuilding, while our 1play-shy-of-the-superbowl team is returning in tact. I'm not predicting an easy win by any means, playing at Foxboro isn't easy for anybody, but we're looking at a whole different scenario...I hope!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

mountainviking wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    All TOO True!!! IF I recall correctly, We had just returned from smoking the SeaChickens at Seattle with, I believe, a 6-0 record, and then the Pats came up with the perfect gameplan to shut us down and our season went swirling down the toilet. But, this time, its the Pats turn for rebuilding, while our 1play-shy-of-the-superbowl team is returning in tact. I'm not predicting an easy win by any means, playing at Foxboro isn't easy for anybody, but we're looking at a whole different scenario...I hope!
    We were actually 4-2 at the time. Basically they realized that the Vikings were great at stopping the run, and bad at stopping the pass. So they took the obvious rout and passed on every play. We couldn't stop it.
    They finished the game with 43 pass attempts and only 15 rush attempts. But it was actually more lopsided than that.

In the first half the Pats threw 26 and ran 7 times.

In the second half the pats came out with 15 passes in a row(and scored 2 more TD's).
    The pats final 4 plays were runs in garbage time.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

mountainviking wrote:
    My bet is that Sanchez will experience the sophmore slump just like last year's darling, Matt Ryan, did as defenses will have more tape to watch to come up with a better gameplan against him. Sure Holmes should help and LT can catch, but in Thomas Jones and Al Faneca, they let their two true Blue Collar Vets walk, and Faneca for a rookie might not be just what that OL ordered either. There's also all those egos, starting with the head coach and rolling right on through last year's team and their new acquisitions. It looks real good on paper, but it remains to be seen if they can really become a TEAM.

I love the Vikes quiet offseason! We only lost 3 backups to FA, and drafted or signed more potential at all three of those spots. From what we're hearing, our OL should be better than last season just by being healthier, and I expect the experience for first year starters Sully and Load and some general "gel" time to help too. Brinkley played well as a rookie backup and Sheppard seems like a good insurance policy for Griffen. With Cook, Sapp, and Allen we've got good nickel options and ST depth. And then there's that kicker. I have this gut feeling that Rhys kicking off could help more than most think...imagine, setting our defense up even further into enemy territory!? :P

I am seriously more worried about Rice or AP missing extended time than I am if the BF returns. Thing with Rice is BB and PH also missed time last season, and while I love the "Total Heart" Toby Gerhart pick, I sure as hell don't like the sound of a rookie being our No.1 back when we're used to AP & CT! But as a 1-2? Look the Fook OUT!! Get a lead and club them to death slowly with the hard hitting combo of AP and TG plus D!!! Which, would also happen to limit and lower the reps our QB has to take, whether its the old guy, or the more questionable one. Hmm, interesting note to fantasty values too!?

There was this logo around, with arm and hammer for BF and AP...how about this for them with Gerhart and our Defense?

ARM & HAMMER & ANVIL!?!??!?!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :lol: :silly: :woohoo:

"SKOL VIKINGS LETS WIN THE GAME!!!" :woohoo:

Cheers Marrdro! Good to hear from ya!
    As always, a damn fine post and cheers back at ya.

One comment though, you mention how a few rooks/backups stepped up last year. Hasn't that been the case each and every year? Someone critical has gone down, and in most cases, his backup has stepped in and filled the void with very little droppoff.

Good teams win cause they have good starters, great teams win cause they have good depth behind those starters.

As I look at this roster, there aren't many backups I would get rid of at this point.

Said it last year and I will echo it again this year. This has to be one of the best looking Vikings teams I've seen in a long time.

Again, great post my friend. B)

On a side note: Flacco hasn't had that slump has he. I like what that staff has done with him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

jmcdon00 wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    We were actually 4-2 at the time. Basically they realized that the Vikings were great at stopping the run, and bad at stopping the pass. So they took the obvious rout and passed on every play. We couldn't stop it.
    They finished the game with 43 pass attempts and only 15 rush attempts. But it was actually more lopsided than that.

In the first half the Pats threw 26 and ran 7 times.

In the second half the pats came out with 15 passes in a row(and scored 2 more TD's).
    The pats final 4 plays were runs in garbage time.
    And it was on MNF, which meant the whole country was watching. Before the game, they gave out free ESPN heads on sticks (I got a Mike Tirico).

Pulled a Mars in that game and left at the end of the 3rd quarter to beat the traffic. Only time I've ever left a Vikings game early.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Ahh, the agony! What a brutal game to watch, and just when I was getting my hopes up a bit. Still, it was the Chiller's first year, and our best WR was? Robinson?

I think the Ravens did a better job of protecting Flacco...with solid Defense, a great running game, and a top notch OL. The additions of Boldin and Stallworth could really push this team over the top...IF they can stay on the field!

Personally, I am rooting for an ALL PURPLE Superbowl!! :P