Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    You do realize, that teams don't hire the "Best" coach at each position right? Otherwise we'd have a team featuring dozens of 'have-been' coordinators, taking on mentor roles in the form of position coaches. That doesn't happen.

And please, everybody. Keep in mind, we're talking about a quarterbacks coach. Not a head coach, not even a coordinator (Mike/Kyle Shannahan anybody?) But a QB coach ... Turner has experience at both a pro and collegiate level. It's not like he's coming straight out of high school coaching.

And at the end of the day sometimes, it's not what you know, it's who you know. In the business world, health care, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a break to get a job, and you can take off from there.
    Yes, I understand. It is often who you know more than anything - even when it is not in the best interest in the team. We have yet to know about that in this case. I hope it works out for the better.

Thank you for making a reply that is thought out and sensible. It is sometimes difficult to discuss topics on this board, and others, because many OPs often gets a slew of one liners and knee jerk reactions. What is the point of having a board if everyone is always "right" about everything without argument or logical conversation? That just doesn't work.

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    [QUOTE=kingpin9995;1151245]Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that?

Ahhhhhh...... black man can't kick?
    Maybe they do not even try out for the job because they have higher aspiration.
    All coaches say they select the man that gives them the best chance to win.
    We do not need to go though the whole deck of race cards to figure it out.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    [QUOTE=rockymtdan;1151252]
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that?

Ahhhhhh...... black man can't kick?
    Maybe they do not even try out for the job because they have higher aspiration.
    All coaches say they select the man that gives them the best chance to win.
    We do not need to go though the whole deck of race cards to figure it out.
    Word is Pheiffer to remain special teams coach. Great news eh Kluwe? Looks like no one
    is standing up for you moral man.. You'll be fine, you have your band to fall back on
    playing at gay pride marches... giggle.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Buddy Ryan was a horses ass. A crass prick that did jack squat as a head coach in the NFL. His only claim to fame as a head man was putting bounties on guys heads.
    His son Rex is a nut that did not fall far from the tree. Another good ole boy network bum that has a big mouth, likes to suck womens toes, and has worn out his welcome in New York just like his dad did everywhere he went.

Rob's nut lies right next to Rex. Long haired jerk with a big mouth just like the old man and brother who goes from team to team and wins NOTHING, just like his brother.

Fuk the Ryans... I can't stand a one of them.
    There once was a coach, Buddy Ryan,
    Whose teams made the fans start a-cryin',
    His sons, quite the same,
    Both went on to fame,
    And still in the NFL, tryin'...

Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    There once was a coach, Buddy Ryan,
    Whose teams made the fans start a-cryin',
    His sons, quite the same,
    Both went on to fame,
    And still in the NFL, tryin'...
    There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan
    A name for himself at any cost he was a tryin
    He finally became the head man in Philly
    And proved that notion was incredibly silly

His sons came after to carry on the name
    Rex's foot fetish was his claim to fame
    Then came Rob, from one team to another
    I feel sorry for these two bums mother.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    wow haha

Quote Originally Posted by 2beerstommy View Post
    wow haha
    booze nose kramer would be proud....

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    There are lots of hispanic kickers because football cannibalizes soccer players for kickers. Soccer is HUGE in hispanic countries, so there is a larger "pool" to draw from; being a kicker is not a job many black americans strive for, and as such, there are fewer that practice enough at the position to achieve NFL ability. It is, in my opinion, all about the numbers: the more one group pushes to achieve, the more the chance one will.

I could be wrong, of course, it is just my perceptions I am drawing from...and its not like I have had sooo many football experiences that what I see is definitively true.

But c'mon, guys! The vikings have done a lot in trying to give black coaches and QBs a fair shake at those key positions. Let other teams that have not worry about these topics, and for once, try not to find fault in areas we shouldn't, as it allows for us to over-look those areas deserve scrutiny.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Exactly.
    +1 I'd like to think that maybe this guy is a good coordinator that happens to be Turner's son. Good chance Turner won't want to look like a fool because of the coordinator he brought in.
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Kingpin is just saying that the kids should make their own way as coaches and not have their daddies bring them in.

How many good coaches missed chances to be hired because these coaches bring in their kids? How many minority coaches will get a chance when white coaches pencil in their sons for positions? These are fair questions.
    Norv refused to accept the job with the Browns unless they hired Scott too. They were a "package deal". I'm pretty sure it was the same deal with the Vikings. Scott wasn't hired because of his qualifications as QB coach, because he has none. He was hired because of daddy.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast