Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    You do know your two statements are logically inconsistent.

The first says nepotism works, the second gives evidence to the contrary.
    "Good ole boys" does not mean family.
    Nepotism in this case works for me,let them give it a go.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan. He had two sons, Rex and Rob.

In 1994, Buddy Ryan was the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He brought in a guy named Rex Ryan as his DL/LB Coach. At that point, Rex had no NFL experience at all, as a player or coach.

THat same year, Buddy Ryan brought in a college coach named Rob Ryan. This guy had no NFL experience at all. Rob was the DB coach for Arizona.

Neither were the most qualified, neither won because of their potential. They were brought in because they were Buddy's sons.

Well, Both of them are known as some of the better defensive coaches in the game.
    That's the way I see it as well. How many great coaches are the sons of coaches ?
    I'm not trying to make a case for nepotism, nor am I going to insert myself as the moral compass for the Vikings organization.
    It's a game; entertainment. Not a platform for political agendas.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    That's the way I see it as well. How many great coaches are the sons of coaches ?
    I do not know. How many are, and how many are not?

Buddy Ryan's boys may do well now, but did they help the teams they were starting out with, or did those teams have hard knocks to earn the Ryan boys some experience? I don't recall Buddy Ryan head coached teams doing all that well.

I completely understand the practice. I also understand that if a coach has to bring in his son to be on the same page as his coach, he is a pretty bad coach. I also know this practice tends to alienate personnel. It is simple for many fans to dismiss, because we do not have the history of many of the players.

Some here see it as daddy bringing in his son as the foreman on the job site. I get that, and that is not really a problem if the foreman had paid his dues and was experienced enough to be in that position. However, if that foreman was inexperienced and placed in a position where he had to learn on the job, it would be detrimental to the project and likely cause animosity with other employees.

In the NFL, everything needs to click to become a champion. Vikings fans know that a breakdown on one play or one kick can cost a trip to the Superbowl. Vikings fans know that one coach or one fullback that does not have his head in the game or does not know the rules can cause disaster. We also know that the quarterback is the most important position on the field, and having an experienced quarterbacks coach can make a huge difference.

I'm not trying to make a case for nepotism, nor am I going to insert
    myself as the moral compass for the Vikings organization. It's a game; entertainment. Not a platform for political agendas.
    This organization is allowed to represent Minnesota, and it takes taxpayer money. Where do we draw the line in what is allowed by moral and community standards?

Disregarding any moral questions, when do we question the football decisions of a coach? One must ask, "Is the the best coach for this position?" Considering Scott Turners background, it is a legitimate question.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    That is my point.

I hope it all works out well. Maybe Scott Turner is the second coming of Chucky, and will be a great QB coach. May the odds forever be in his favor.

Wasn't Jesus Christ a long haired attention getter who not only got involved with moral issues but implored his disciples to do so?

While I believe Kluwe needed to balance his off field advocacy with his on field game, one should recall that he was reacting to anti-gay comments by other NFL players and a pervasive atmosphere of anti-gay rhetoric in the NFL.
    Lord, forgive him for he knows not what he says. We are now comparing an attention whore, alternative band flop, moral compass, middle of the pack punter, to our lord and savior? Forgive him for he knows not what he does Father. Kluwe is where he belongs. Doing gigs at the local VFW, trying so hard to stay in the spotlight. Krissy lost his forum and now no one gives a rats ass what he thinks... Pheiffer is the MAN...

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Lord, forgive him for he knows not what he says. We are now comparing an attention whore, alternative band flop, moral compass, middle of the pack punter, to our lord and savior? Forgive him for he knows not what he does Father. Kluwe is where he belongs. Doing gigs at the local VFW, trying so hard to stay in the spotlight. Krissy lost his forum and now no one gives a rats ass what he thinks... Pheiffer is the MAN...
    I was going to let him play my garage but he wouldn't sweep so I booted him.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    This organization is allowed to represent Minnesota, and it takes taxpayer money. Where do we draw the line in what is allowed by moral and community standards?
    If this were a publically owned corporation, you could be on to something. However, this is a PRIVATE company. It is owned by a family, they can hire whoever they want. As long as they don't blatantly come out and say it's based on religion, race or creed, they can hire whoever they feel fits the organization best. If they think it's reasonable that Turner's son and Turner will get along and make a good coaching tandem, then why the hell not?

They take Government subsidies as they are into billion dollar investments. Guess who else takes government money? Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon. Do you think you'd have cellular coverage in rural Montana if not for government subidies? Large corporations all over the world get by based on government subsidies. That's how business works. If you don't like it, fine. But until the business actually does things that are illegal or immoral, you don't have a leg to stand on.
    Disregarding any moral questions, when do we question the football decisions of a coach? One must ask, "Is the the best coach for this position?" Considering Scott Turners background, it is a legitimate question.
    You do realize, that teams don't hire the "Best" coach at each position right? Otherwise we'd have a team featuring dozens of 'have-been' coordinators, taking on mentor roles in the form of position coaches. That doesn't happen.

And please, everybody. Keep in mind, we're talking about a quarterbacks coach. Not a head coach, not even a coordinator (Mike/Kyle Shannahan anybody?) But a QB coach.

Who was our last QB coach? Craig Johnson. Who worked in Tennessee as a QB coach from 2002-2009 (McNair era). After McNair, he was demoted to RB coach for a season. Prior to that he was a college assistant.

Packers QB coach Ben McAdoo, spent 8 years as a TE coach, then moved to QB coach.

Greg Knapp, QB coach of the Broncos has been fired around the league. Since being promoted to OC in 2001, he's been to 7 different teams over 13 years.

While yes, these guys might have a bit more experience, they're older and have been in the NFL longer, Turner has experience at both a pro and collegiate level. It's not like he's coming straight out of high school coaching.

And at the end of the day sometimes, it's not what you know, it's who you know. In the business world, health care, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a break to get a job, and you can take off from there.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    And I would add to that IBP that he comes from a NFL family and has been around coaching all his life. Take the Harbaugh family of coaches and players as another example. I assume that when you grow up in a family where the NFL and coaching is a center of family life you pick up a few things about how its done.

WWBGD

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    How many "dream teams" have really REALLY worked? It is a awesome thing to hire the "best" person for each person, but if the "best" coaches for each position do not get along, it is all for naught. The Vikings have had more Black Head Coaches and QBs than half the NFL, and I think its kinda crappy to bring race into this discussion. Throw that at the Cowboys or the Dolphins, but can we cut our team some slack?

As far as a son being selected in the coaching staff, it is my opinion that you hire the Head Coach and then let him and the GM select the rest of the coaches, so they have the crew THEY want and gives them the best chance for success. If we don't see results, then fire them and move on.

I expect to see more black coaches AND QBs working/playing for the Vikings in the future, because they try to get the best person for the job(s). Instead of picking on them because THIS time the coaches are not of color, perhaps you should focus on the teams that have never hired even ONE.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan. He had two sons, Rex and Rob.

In 1994, Buddy Ryan was the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He brought in a guy named Rex Ryan as his DL/LB Coach. At that point, Rex had no NFL experience at all, as a player or coach.

THat same year, Buddy Ryan brought in a college coach named Rob Ryan. This guy had no NFL experience at all. Rob was the DB coach for Arizona.

Neither were the most qualified, neither won because of their potential. They were brought in because they were Buddy's sons.

Well, Both of them are known as some of the better defensive coaches in the game.
    Buddy Ryan was a horses ass. A crass prick that did jack squat as a head coach in the NFL. His only claim to fame as a head man was putting bounties on guys heads.
    His son Rex is a nut that did not fall far from the tree. Another good ole boy network bum that has a big mouth, likes to suck womens toes, and has worn out his welcome in New York just like his dad did everywhere he went.

Rob's nut lies right next to Rex. Long haired jerk with a big mouth just like the old man and brother who goes from team to team and wins NOTHING, just like his brother.

Fuk the Ryans... I can't stand a one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    How many "dream teams" have really REALLY worked? It is a awesome thing to hire the "best" person for each person, but if the "best" coaches for each position do not get along, it is all for naught. The Vikings have had more Black Head Coaches and QBs than half the NFL, and I think its kinda crappy to bring race into this discussion. Throw that at the Cowboys or the Dolphins, but can we cut our team some slack?

As far as a son being selected in the coaching staff, it is my opinion that you hire the Head Coach and then let him and the GM select the rest of the coaches, so they have the crew THEY want and gives them the best chance for success. If we don't see results, then fire them and move on.

I expect to see more black coaches AND QBs working/playing for the Vikings in the future, because they try to get the best person for the job(s). Instead of picking on them because THIS time the coaches are not of color, perhaps you should focus on the teams that have never hired even ONE.
    Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that? There are hispanic punters and kickers. Why no black ones? I also have a real problem with that fact that some teams in the NFL have offensive lines that do not contain even one black. Those teams know who they are and should be ashamed. I think it's time to start looking seriously at these obvious racial biases in these areas of the NFL.. The NFL is only around 70 percent black. Now tell me why there should not be 70 percent black coaches,, eh? I want something done. The NBA is now about 90 percent black. The at least are getting it right .... Finally I think we need more Richard Shermans in the NFL..He really showed the world in that interview the rage the black man has in the NFL today. I guess the only regret here is that he called out Crabtree and pretty much called him a dog receiver. The least Richard could have done was call out someone like Riley Cooper... you know.. a white guy that does not belong on the field as a receiver with the great Richard Sherman.. I love the NFL..

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast