Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73
  1. #31
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    (null)
    Sorry, I will rephrase. I don't give a shit.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  2. #32
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    How did this become a race issue? Let's stop that right now, because that is finding cause where one probably doesn't exist.

    As far as the nepotism, I don't see this much different than a position coach who brings his favorite assistant along with him from team to team. It happens all the time, and it happens because of a myriad of reasons. Part of the reason you hire a head coach, or a GM, or whatever, is because of their ability to bring in certain talent.

    This is how life works, in the NFL, incorporate America, in general. Is it a story? I guess, but a pretty damn unimportant one IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #33
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    How did this become a race issue? Let's stop that right now, because that is finding cause where one probably doesn't exist.
    It is not overt. It is a potential race issue because white coaches tend to not have minority children.

    As far as the nepotism, I don't see this much different than a position coach who brings his favorite assistant along with him from team to team.
    Neither of their sons are long time assistants of these coaches.

    It happens all the time, and it happens because of a myriad of reasons. Part of the reason you hire a head coach, or a GM, or whatever, is because of their ability to bring in certain talent.
    Again, what experience does Scott Turner have in the NFL as a quarterbacks coach? Does he have experience as a college quarterbacks coach? Are there any NFL quarterbacks that he has mentored or coached into the playoffs?

    No.

    This is how life works, in the NFL, incorporate America, in general. Is it a story? I guess, but a pretty damn unimportant one IMHO.
    It happens. It is illegal in government, civil service, and in the military, and it is against some corporate charters, but it is not illegal otherwise. Even then, it happens and is difficult to prosecute as long as nepotism is not shown to override experience, ability, race, and other factors.

    The point here is that Scott Turner is going to have to tutor any new quarterback in the ways of the NFL or any old quarterback into a new system, but he no experience as a quarterbacks coach.

    It is hypocritical for the NFL to force owners to bring in minorities for head coaching positions under the Rooney Rule but also allow nepotism from old boy network white coaches. I guess it may not be important to fans who are not minorities, but it may be to players ... who often are.

    Mike Zimmer talks about bringing in the best experienced coaches, but I guess there is an exception being made for a couple of them. Talk is cheap; action takes more metal.
    Last edited by Minniman; 01-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.

  4. #34
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,541
    I'm kinda with those that think this is a non story..

    my only reall opionin toward it would be this.

    1. Daddy is an OC, has been HC, knows more about the NFL football then 99.9% of the armchair HC's..
    2. Jr learns from dad his whole life about football.. plays change here or there but the O theory basicly remains the same. after 10 years of living with Daddy's NFL career, discussions, being so close to the coaches, and the whole environment of football.. Jr now has a keen insight into what his Daddy wants to do..
    3. Jr is able to help positions see where his daddy's plays put everything.. what position might he know best? qb.. ok.. will HE be the one building plays? no.. will he be making decisions on who's ready who's not? i really really doubt it.. will he be relaying EXACTLY what Daddy wants his QB's to hear? i'm pretty sure this is the case.

    does he desreve it? maybe mabye not.. if Daddy leads our O to glory.. i'm sure none of us r gonna care one way or another..

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  5. #35
    rockymtdan's Avatar
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Penrose Co 81240
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    I'm kinda with those that think this is a non story..

    my only reall opionin toward it would be this.

    1. Daddy is an OC, has been HC, knows more about the NFL football then 99.9% of the armchair HC's..
    2. Jr learns from dad his whole life about football.. plays change here or there but the O theory basicly remains the same. after 10 years of living with Daddy's NFL career, discussions, being so close to the coaches, and the whole environment of football.. Jr now has a keen insight into what his Daddy wants to do..
    3. Jr is able to help positions see where his daddy's plays put everything.. what position might he know best? qb.. ok.. will HE be the one building plays? no.. will he be making decisions on who's ready who's not? i really really doubt it.. will he be relaying EXACTLY what Daddy wants his QB's to hear? i'm pretty sure this is the case.

    does he desreve it? maybe mabye not.. if Daddy leads our O to glory.. i'm sure none of us r gonna care one way or another..

    DiGiTaL
    What he said.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

  6. #36
    kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtdan View Post
    What he said.
    Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not
    much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coaches sons
    position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach
    for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb
    probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified.
    I beg to disagree. I tell it like it is. You don't like it call the monitor and get me booted.
    I just hope the keep Pheiffer. Don't run a guy because a long haired attention
    whore who could not just do his job of punting the ball without getting involved in
    every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.

  7. #37
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coach's sons position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified. I beg to disagree.
    That is my point.

    I hope it all works out well. Maybe Scott Turner is the second coming of Chucky, and will be a great QB coach. May the odds forever be in his favor.

    I just hope the keep Pheiffer. Don't run a guy because a long haired attention
    whore ... getting involved in every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.
    Wasn't Jesus Christ a long haired attention getter who not only got involved with moral issues but implored his disciples to do so?

    While I believe Kluwe needed to balance his off field advocacy with his on field game, one should recall that he was reacting to anti-gay comments by other NFL players and a pervasive atmosphere of anti-gay rhetoric in the NFL.
    Last edited by Minniman; 01-20-2014 at 10:04 AM.

  8. #38
    rockymtdan's Avatar
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Penrose Co 81240
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not
    much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coaches sons
    position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach
    for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb
    probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified.
    I beg to disagree. I tell it like it is. You don't like it call the monitor and get me booted.
    I just hope the keep Pheiffer. Don't run a guy because a long haired attention
    whore who could not just do his job of punting the ball without getting involved in
    every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.
    I am all for the father son thing, who better to convey the scheme, carry out orders and stay on task.
    Good old boy network?! So what. We all deal with it right down to our own city hall. Dumb fucks more often then not but I wont wast my time bitching about it. I don't have the money or the connections to change it.
    Yes we should keep Pheiffer.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

  9. #39
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtdan View Post
    I am all for the father son thing, who better to convey the scheme, carry out orders and stay on task.
    Good old boy network?! So what. We all deal with it right down to our own city hall. Dumb fucks more often then not but I wont wast my time bitching about it.
    You do know your two statements are logically inconsistent.

    The first says nepotism works, the second gives evidence to the contrary.

  10. #40
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan. He had two sons, Rex and Rob.

    In 1994, Buddy Ryan was the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He brought in a guy named Rex Ryan as his DL/LB Coach. At that point, Rex had no NFL experience at all, as a player or coach.

    THat same year, Buddy Ryan brought in a college coach named Rob Ryan. This guy had no NFL experience at all. Rob was the DB coach for Arizona.

    Neither were the most qualified, neither won because of their potential. They were brought in because they were Buddy's sons.

    Well, Both of them are known as some of the better defensive coaches in the game.
    Last edited by i_bleed_purple; 01-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •