Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Putting together a TEAM is not just about finding the "best qualified candidate. A coach is looking for people he knows he can work with and trusts, and that usually means people he has a history with. Are the people Zimmer is hiring all the most qualified of those available? I don't know that. Not sure anyone knows that. He is putting together a team of coach's that he has worked with and that share his vision of what the Vikings need. Its not all about qualifications or fairness, or affirmative action.

WWBGD

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Putting together a TEAM is not just about finding the "best qualified candidate. A coach is looking for people he knows he can work with and trusts, and that usually means people he has a history with. Are the people Zimmer is hiring all the most qualified of those available? I don't know that. Not sure anyone knows that. He is putting together a team of coach's that he has worked with and that share his vision of what the Vikings need. Its not all about qualifications or fairness, or affirmative action.
    Your statement could be made for every case of nepotism in the workplace. It is also made for the families of dictators, mob bosses, and the Communist Party of North Korea, but those are potential straw men, so I will leave it there.

This is not about people the head coach has worked with. I am certain Turner did not work with his son when his son was in diapers. Until last year, they have not worked together as coaches.

The Vikings quarterbacks coaches in the past few decades have one thing lacking: experience as an NFL quarterback. While there are certainly good coaches without this experience, it would be nice to have a coach that has been in the line of fire, knows what the X's and O's look like on the field, and can relate to coverage schemes while over the center. Brett Favre and Cris Carter could likely teach more about the position of quarterback and receiver respectively than most coaches. Scott Turner does have experience as a quarterback at the University of Nevada, but he has no NFL experience in that position.

As far as affirmative action, your excuse for nepotism is an excuse that employers used while widespread discriminating against minorities in the workplace. Without that kind of thinking, the courts would not have required affirmative action. Nepotism is discrimination against anyone not the employers children. It is far reaching.

Before we go too far down that road, I also did not agree with Dennis Green bringing in inexperienced coaches from the NFL's minority coaches program to be named as regular coaches for critical positions on the team. The Vikings needed the best coaches available, and many of those coaches had not done their due time as top assistants at the college level. Giving minorities experience in NFL operations was a fine goal, but the coaches still should have had to had trial by fire at a lower level to show their skill at coaching.

The same premise applies to this situation. Scott Turner has a weak resume to be a quarterbacks coach. Although he was a quarterback in college, he has not coached that position at any level and has no NFL experience as a quarterback. Shouldn't we expect one of those in such a critical coaching position for the Vikings? Turner has coached wide receivers, but he has not been hired for that position.

What experience does Scott Turner have as a quarterbacks coach? If he was not Norv's son, would he have been considered for this position? Will any veteran respect his lack of experience? Will any young quarterback be best served by him rather than a more experienced coach or a veteran NFL player as a coach? I am not convinced.

iowa is offline Rookie
    it's a free country, sort of, it's a private business, they can hire whoever they want. if they think norv's boy fits into their plans then hire him.
    None

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    This is a non story…

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    it's a free country, sort of, it's a private business, they can hire whoever they want. if they think norv's boy fits into their plans then hire him.
    Maybe he was part of Norv's deal to come here. Besides I dought daddy let him write his own teachers manual or that he will not be given a daily training schedule.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    This is a non story…
    Whether you agree with nepotism or not, to simply state it is not a story, without evidence, is not logically valid.

It is a story. It is simple to google "NFL nepotism" and find many articles regarding this topic. There are pages of articles pro and con, and the impact on minority coaching is addressed in many of them.

Many people who have had to work under a less qualified son or daughter of the boss can tell you it is disruptive to the workforce. It breeds animosity and contempt - even in professionals. People who have been passed over for a job by a less qualified child or relation of the boss can tell you it is a big deal.

The Vikings are going from a minority head coach, who was well liked by his players, to a white head coach and white coordinator who have been part of the "old boy" network in the NFL for many years. If these coaches believe nepotism is fine under these conditions, their judgment must be questioned.

Considering the Wilfs have installed themselves in many front office positions, over potentially more experienced candidates, to ill effect, one would believe that fans would be more wary of this than fans of some other NFL teams.
    Last edited by Minniman; 01-19-2014 at 10:44 AM.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Well, I guess it is still 1964 in America.

It is not just about if that one person can do the job. It is about finding the best qualified candidate in a fair and open process.
    BULL s###!
    What planet are you from? Didn't you ever learn the lesson"life's not fair" when you were a kid? People have to learn to deal with it. He can hire whoever the hell he wants.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    BULL s###!
    What planet are you from? Didn't you ever learn the lesson"life's not fair" when you were a kid? People have to learn to deal with it. He can hire whoever the hell he wants.
    So it is still 1964 in America.

Got it.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    This is a non story…
    ' Way I see it as well.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    So it is still 1964 in America.

Got it.
    This isn't a job at a car dealership. Turner is the incoming talent and the son is part of his staff. As an established OC he gets to call some shots. I'm sure it was a take it or leave it deal.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast