Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Schleprock

  1. #21
    collegeguyjeff's Avatar
    collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: Schleprock

    "mr.woo" wrote:
    True Dat i for one am as excited as ive ever been about the vikings. who knows wat next season holds for us. and i feel that evan if we go 0-16 i can get by the razzing just becasue i survied this years love boat pervert teases. but Vikings will be nfc north chapons next year so i have nothing to worry about.
    me too i havn't ever been this excited about the vikings in my life. sure we don't have moss or daunte but i don't care cause i knew what to expect when we had them. moss was great though i'd take him back anyday.

    plus im tired of people saying we got ripped off by miami for daunte. if people look back in history were the ones who ripped off washington by giving them brad johnson for their pick and we got daunte for free!! and people wanna cry and say oh we just got a 2nd round pick for daunte. he served his first contract and then some and he pretty much didn't do anything for us. we gave nothing up for daunte when we drafted him so we technically got a first and second rounder for brad johnson if you wanna think of it in common sense terms.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

  2. #22
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Schleprock

    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I think alot of it does have to do with 1998 fans. A lot of good memories between Culpepper and Moss, lots of yelling at the TV throwing pooh, cheering, all that.

    I like to think people who have been a fan since before free agency have seen players come and go and realize that football is football and at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have the best of the best at every position as long as they play as a team and score more points then the opponent then objective complete.

    Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on.
    Wow! Del always aims and hits the nail right on the head.

    No for the fallout! wink
    1998 was pretty much right in the middle of the Vikings second era of greatness in my lifetime. Other than some success in the mid-90s, there haven't been many memory making events that weren't produced by the explosive offenses we had. Culpepper and Moss were great for us. I'm not going to sit here and put them down because I will always remember the happiness they brought me on Sundays. For the same reason I was pissed when Randle and Carter left. It may have been Culpepper's time to go, but I will still miss him dearly.

    If this is greatness than I will take mediocrity like New England, here is a look at the last 5 years 4 of those with Moss and Daunte!


    As Denny Green likes to say the proof is in the pudding!

    Record with our franchise QB for the last 5 years!

    2001 5 - 11 do not make the playoffs (Denny Green coach)

    2002 6 - 10 do not make the playoffs (Tice Coach)

    2003 9 - 7 do not make the playoffs

    2004 8 - 8 we made the playoffs

    2005 9 - 7 do not make playoffs (team start 2 - 5 with Daunte as QB) finishes 7 - 2 with Brad as QB


    5 years 1 playoff season as a wild card

    0 Superbowl's

    0 division titles

    1 great playoff win over the Packers (gotta love that)


    Is having a great QB everything if the team does not win a division title and makes the playoffs once.

    Hope the next 5 years is better because there is nothing in the last 5 years to get excited about (except beating the Packers)!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  3. #23
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Schleprock

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I think alot of it does have to do with 1998 fans. A lot of good memories between Culpepper and Moss, lots of yelling at the TV throwing pooh, cheering, all that.

    I like to think people who have been a fan since before free agency have seen players come and go and realize that football is football and at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have the best of the best at every position as long as they play as a team and score more points then the opponent then objective complete.

    Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on.
    Wow! Del always aims and hits the nail right on the head.

    No for the fallout! wink
    1998 was pretty much right in the middle of the Vikings second era of greatness in my lifetime. Other than some success in the mid-90s, there haven't been many memory making events that weren't produced by the explosive offenses we had. Culpepper and Moss were great for us. I'm not going to sit here and put them down because I will always remember the happiness they brought me on Sundays. For the same reason I was pissed when Randle and Carter left. It may have been Culpepper's time to go, but I will still miss him dearly.

    If this is greatness than I will take mediocrity like New England, here is a look at the last 5 years 4 of those with Moss and Daunte!


    As Denny Green likes to say the proof is in the pudding!

    Record with our franchise QB for the last 5 years!

    2001 5 - 11 do not make the playoffs (Denny Green coach)

    2002 6 - 10 do not make the playoffs (Tice Coach)

    2003 9 - 7 do not make the playoffs

    2004 8 - 8 we made the playoffs

    2005 9 - 7 do not make playoffs (team start 2 - 5 with Daunte as QB) finishes 7 - 2 with Brad as QB


    5 years 1 playoff season as a wild card

    0 Superbowl's

    0 division titles

    1 great playoff win over the Packers (gotta love that)


    Is having a great QB everything if the team does not win a division title and makes the playoffs once.

    Hope the next 5 years is better because there is nothing in the last 5 years to get excited about (except beating the Packers)!
    Common whack, smile man.

    Here watch this "CHris Hovan sucks!" Common now.

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Schleprock

    Personally, I think we are a winning season away from a new stadium. Wilf came in and cleaned house. All new coaches, trade the biggest name associated with the boat thing, new uniforms. He is trying to get it through to Minnesota that this is an all new Vikings team, one that is deserving of an all new stadium. Keeping my fingers crossed...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Schleprock

    I'm very excited about the up and coming season. A new coaching staff and different players. Sounds exciting to me. Please remember Pep wasn't on the team in 1998. That was Moss' rookie season and the league wasn't ready for him. Pep wasn't drafted till 99 and didn't play till 2000. So we went 15 - 1 without Pep. Our regular season record with Pep was 38-42. Nothing great. No, it wasn't all his fault however, we haven't won any superbowls with him or without him. We weren't even in one. We can blame the defense a lot and the coaching staff but when you come down to it some was his fault as well. His lack of concentration at times and not being able to control the clock deeply affected the defense. Why do you think they played better when BJ was QB? Because he controlled the clock and the d wasn't on the field as much. The big factor here is he didn't give this coaching staff a try.

    Cheer up Viking fans. The only thing we are giving up is mediocracy. Hopefully they can use the extra pick and trade up in the draft and get a quality QB for the future.

  6. #26
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Schleprock

    Personally, I'm still trying to figure out where our new Franchise Leaders are taking us.

    I look at our FA acquisitions and think, "Ok, nothing special there". Even factoring in the Hutchinson deal, I still wonder what the over all impact will be.

    Nothing we've done in FA thus far has me drooling with anticipation...

    ...and that just might be the best news of all.

    Since I'm NOT seeing a parade of "Big Name" players passing throught the Winter Park corridors on their way to press conferences announcing their signing, I can only assume one of two things.

    1: The Vikings are trying to build a TEAM around a certain concept of play and are bringing in people who fit in well with that concept.

    or

    2: Ted Thompson and the Packers somehow got a hold of our stationary, and are behind these signings.

    I'm leaning towards #1.

    Without looking up the rosters, how many people can name 6 players in the Patriots or Steelers organizations? I can't. Well...maybe on the Steelers, but only because the JUST won.

    The point is, neither of these teams is made of of all-pro players. They're comprised of solid Team-Players who create a sum greater than the whole. Sure, they have one or two stand out players - Pittsburgh had 5 players named to the Pro-Bowl...only 2 were starters.

    But, isn't it also true that winning teams wind up getting more people into the Pro-bowl than loosing teams?

    San Fran had none, New Orleans had 1, Detroit had 1, and Philly - whose entire Defense (darn near) made it last season - sent only 2....and only 1 was a starter.

    So, I really don't know which way to go with my "feelings" so far this off season. I'm just waiting to see how it all pans out in September.

    And this too might be a good thing.

    Remember all the seasons of hype (every year up until this one) where we were OBVIOUSLY a dominant team, and OBVIOUSLY going to crush the Division, and OBVIOUSLY going to challange for the Superbowl...only to fall flat? This year, nothing is obvious.

    So, I'm going to watch and wait. Sure, I got pretty ticked at Culpepper - and waited in anticipation of the trade. And sure, I would LOVE to see us trade up and grab a hot QB prospect in the Draft. But those are "Immediate Gratification" items that don't always pan out so well in the future.

    After all, I'm sure Seattle was tickled to get Ryan Leaf, and Chicago was happy as sin to grab Cade McNown, Green Bay LOVED Tony Mandrich, and we had our brief euphoric reaction to Demetrius Underwood. Those all panned out REAL well.

    So, in the end, I'm neither psyched nor bummed. I'm just hopeful that we can FINALLY put a TEAM on the field...and not an ecclectic collection of Supestars and Prima-Donnas who generate stats... but lose.

    Caine

  7. #27
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Schleprock

    Caine:
    As usual, one of your SOLID POSTS!
    You are "da man"
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  8. #28
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Schleprock

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I think alot of it does have to do with 1998 fans. A lot of good memories between Culpepper and Moss, lots of yelling at the TV throwing pooh, cheering, all that.

    I like to think people who have been a fan since before free agency have seen players come and go and realize that football is football and at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have the best of the best at every position as long as they play as a team and score more points then the opponent then objective complete.

    Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on.
    Wow! Del always aims and hits the nail right on the head.

    No for the fallout! wink
    1998 was pretty much right in the middle of the Vikings second era of greatness in my lifetime. Other than some success in the mid-90s, there haven't been many memory making events that weren't produced by the explosive offenses we had. Culpepper and Moss were great for us. I'm not going to sit here and put them down because I will always remember the happiness they brought me on Sundays. For the same reason I was pissed when Randle and Carter left. It may have been Culpepper's time to go, but I will still miss him dearly.

    If this is greatness than I will take mediocrity like New England, here is a look at the last 5 years 4 of those with Moss and Daunte!


    As Denny Green likes to say the proof is in the pudding!

    Record with our franchise QB for the last 5 years!

    2001 5 - 11 do not make the playoffs (Denny Green coach)

    2002 6 - 10 do not make the playoffs (Tice Coach)

    2003 9 - 7 do not make the playoffs

    2004 8 - 8 we made the playoffs

    2005 9 - 7 do not make playoffs (team start 2 - 5 with Daunte as QB) finishes 7 - 2 with Brad as QB


    5 years 1 playoff season as a wild card

    0 Superbowl's

    0 division titles

    1 great playoff win over the Packers (gotta love that)


    Is having a great QB everything if the team does not win a division title and makes the playoffs once.

    Hope the next 5 years is better because there is nothing in the last 5 years to get excited about (except beating the Packers)!
    I wasn't referring to the last 5 years, I was refferring to 1996-2000. Thus, 1998 would be right in the middle.

    I am not saying I disagree with the new direction of the team, I'm just saying I will miss what Moss and DC did for us. Would I like to have them back? That's a tough question that I can't answer yet. Right now I have confidence that the front office is trying to make the Vikings BETTER. Because of that, I am OK with their actions.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #29
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Schleprock

    "Caine" wrote:
    Personally, I'm still trying to figure out where our new Franchise Leaders are taking us.

    I look at our FA acquisitions and think, "Ok, nothing special there". Even factoring in the Hutchinson deal, I still wonder what the over all impact will be.

    Nothing we've done in FA thus far has me drooling with anticipation...

    ...and that just might be the best news of all.

    Since I'm NOT seeing a parade of "Big Name" players passing throught the Winter Park corridors on their way to press conferences announcing their signing, I can only assume one of two things.

    1: The Vikings are trying to build a TEAM around a certain concept of play and are bringing in people who fit in well with that concept.

    or

    2: Ted Thompson and the Packers somehow got a hold of our stationary, and are behind these signings.

    I'm leaning towards #1.

    Without looking up the rosters, how many people can name 6 players in the Patriots or Steelers organizations? I can't. Well...maybe on the Steelers, but only because the JUST won.

    The point is, neither of these teams is made of of all-pro players. They're comprised of solid Team-Players who create a sum greater than the whole. Sure, they have one or two stand out players - Pittsburgh had 5 players named to the Pro-Bowl...only 2 were starters.

    But, isn't it also true that winning teams wind up getting more people into the Pro-bowl than loosing teams?

    San Fran had none, New Orleans had 1, Detroit had 1, and Philly - whose entire Defense (darn near) made it last season - sent only 2....and only 1 was a starter.

    So, I really don't know which way to go with my "feelings" so far this off season. I'm just waiting to see how it all pans out in September.

    And this too might be a good thing.

    Remember all the seasons of hype (every year up until this one) where we were OBVIOUSLY a dominant team, and OBVIOUSLY going to crush the Division, and OBVIOUSLY going to challange for the Superbowl...only to fall flat? This year, nothing is obvious.

    So, I'm going to watch and wait. Sure, I got pretty ticked at Culpepper - and waited in anticipation of the trade. And sure, I would LOVE to see us trade up and grab a hot QB prospect in the Draft. But those are "Immediate Gratification" items that don't always pan out so well in the future.

    After all, I'm sure Seattle was tickled to get Ryan Leaf, and Chicago was happy as sin to grab Cade McNown, Green Bay LOVED Tony Mandrich, and we had our brief euphoric reaction to Demetrius Underwood. Those all panned out REAL well.

    So, in the end, I'm neither psyched nor bummed. I'm just hopeful that we can FINALLY put a TEAM on the field...and not an ecclectic collection of Supestars and Prima-Donnas who generate stats... but lose.

    Caine
    Caine, enjoyed your take. We'll spend many hours speculating between now and September and a cast of characters (fans) will surface whether the Vikings are winning or losing. The short- and long-term prognosticators will spout of their self-appointed expertise and we will continue with our analyses of the owner, coaches, players, strategies, plays, and games as if it means something. That is what it's like to be a fan. I love it.

  10. #30
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Schleprock

    "Caine" wrote:
    Personally, I'm still trying to figure out where our new Franchise Leaders are taking us.

    I look at our FA acquisitions and think, "Ok, nothing special there". Even factoring in the Hutchinson deal, I still wonder what the over all impact will be.

    Nothing we've done in FA thus far has me drooling with anticipation...

    ...and that just might be the best news of all.

    Since I'm NOT seeing a parade of "Big Name" players passing throught the Winter Park corridors on their way to press conferences announcing their signing, I can only assume one of two things.

    1: The Vikings are trying to build a TEAM around a certain concept of play and are bringing in people who fit in well with that concept.

    or

    2: Ted Thompson and the Packers somehow got a hold of our stationary, and are behind these signings.

    I'm leaning towards #1.

    Without looking up the rosters, how many people can name 6 players in the Patriots or Steelers organizations? I can't. Well...maybe on the Steelers, but only because the JUST won.

    The point is, neither of these teams is made of of all-pro players. They're comprised of solid Team-Players who create a sum greater than the whole. Sure, they have one or two stand out players - Pittsburgh had 5 players named to the Pro-Bowl...only 2 were starters.

    But, isn't it also true that winning teams wind up getting more people into the Pro-bowl than loosing teams?

    San Fran had none, New Orleans had 1, Detroit had 1, and Philly - whose entire Defense (darn near) made it last season - sent only 2....and only 1 was a starter.

    So, I really don't know which way to go with my "feelings" so far this off season. I'm just waiting to see how it all pans out in September.

    And this too might be a good thing.

    Remember all the seasons of hype (every year up until this one) where we were OBVIOUSLY a dominant team, and OBVIOUSLY going to crush the Division, and OBVIOUSLY going to challange for the Superbowl...only to fall flat? This year, nothing is obvious.

    So, I'm going to watch and wait. Sure, I got pretty ticked at Culpepper - and waited in anticipation of the trade. And sure, I would LOVE to see us trade up and grab a hot QB prospect in the Draft. But those are "Immediate Gratification" items that don't always pan out so well in the future.

    After all, I'm sure Seattle was tickled to get Ryan Leaf, and Chicago was happy as sin to grab Cade McNown, Green Bay LOVED Tony Mandrich, and we had our brief euphoric reaction to Demetrius Underwood. Those all panned out REAL well.

    So, in the end, I'm neither psyched nor bummed. I'm just hopeful that we can FINALLY put a TEAM on the field...and not an ecclectic collection of Supestars and Prima-Donnas who generate stats... but lose.

    Caine

    Caine

    That was an outstanding post and thank you for the insight!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •