Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Save Us The Hype On Tice

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I agree with some, but not all of it. I agree with what he said about there being no difference when he got fired. On the other hand, I disagree with all he wrote about Tice being responsible for a lack of leadership resulting in the boat thing.

Memo to Syl Jones - these players are grown men - Tice shouldn't be responsible for babysitting them. I wonder if your editor follows you around on the weekend to make sure that you don't "disgrace" the newspaper.

Tool.
    Well said Canadian.
    Keep in mind also that the editor has the right to fire the writer whenever he wants and wouldn't have to pay him millions of dollars or take a "cap penalty" which would prevent him from hiring another writer to do so. You can also bet your ass that if the people Sly Jones hired to work for him turn in subpar work for 4 straight years Sly Jones would be unemployed too.

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

It's an endless argument, someone says something pro-tice, someone comes back with an opposing viewpoint, others see the thread and post the same things, with the same arguments, just different people. I'm just about done posting about it all, as i seem to find myself saying the same things over and over about the issue.
    ;-)

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    It's an endless argument, someone says something pro-tice, someone comes back with an opposing viewpoint, others see the thread and post the same things, with the same arguments, just different people. I'm just about done posting about it all, as i seem to find myself saying the same things over and over about the issue.
    Agreed. Time to move on. Vikes are 2nd most attractive team to coach out of 8 according to NFL Live. Should be ok.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

"maddenhasamancrushonfavre" wrote:
    "MrGopher16" wrote:
    Agreed. Time to move on. Vikes are 2nd most attractive team to coach out of 8 according to NFL Live. Should be ok.
    Who did they say was first?
    ;-)

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    "maddenhasamancrushonfavre" wrote:
    "MrGopher16" wrote:
    Who did they say was first?
    KC. Packers were 4th.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Great Article....Thank God the days of Tice are finally over. Hopefully the Ghost of Red will be gone soon.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Ah yes forgot about KC, who wouldn't want to coach there though with the beastly offensive line they have?
    ;-)

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

I am sick and tired of this damn media bias in the Minnesota media.

Spare US with your Minny ripping articles.\

*sigh*
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Keep in mind... While these guys are "grown" men. Some are not always as "grown" as others. If I had hundreds of thousands or even millions of $$ at my disposal through the ages of 20-27, I could have been diagnosed as clinically rtarded. Some "grown" men need more direction than others.

edit: i can't spell

snowinapril is online now Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:

[size=18px]Spare us the breathless hype on firing of Tice[/size]
    by Sly Jones

Tice didn't sanction the love boat fiasco, but his lack of leadership allowed it. When you play for a coach, you should respect him so much that everything you do -- everything -- is cast in the light of how he will feel about it, how it reflects on the team, and how it affects the community. That's not what happened. Instead, the knuckleheaded Vikings players who urinated on some poor woman's lawn in Minnetonka ensured that the night would be memorable in other ways. Is Tice blameless for this situation? I don't think so.
    Wilf is an impressive man, a businessperson who not only made the right decision but did it in a businesslike fashion. He kept his word to Tice and let him hang onto his job long after he should have been fired. Tice's affability and his coaching acumen should give him a leg up on other coaching candidates at major Division I football teams, which is where the man belongs.
    Now what we need is a football coach cut from the cloth of Bill Parcells who will whip the team into shape, go toe-to-toe with the owner on player and free agent signings and tell the media to sit down and shut up. The people in this town who make their living covering the Herculean feats and failures of professional athletes mostly resemble the clowns at rodeos: Their job is to attract the bull and distract the crowd. They do it well because they take themselves so seriously.
    It's time for levelheaded business coverage of the Vikings, with business reporters laying out the implications of hiring and firing decisions. How does this move position the Vikings to be a better organization? What was the leadership style of Mike Tice and why didn't it work? What are the implications of the Vikings' failed season on the pending stadium deal in Anoka -- and, by the way, did any stakeholders in that deal tell Wilf that Tice had to go?
    These are the questions that should be asked and answered. Will we get those answers from the sports media of the Twin Cities? I don't think so.

Syl Jones, Minnetonka, is a journalist, playwright and corporate communications consultant.
    That was a great article.

There is no such thing as reporting anymore.

As far as Tice, Red treated him like a dog. I don't think that he ever felt on the level to make an impact above his position (gm,owner,etc.). It was so much so, that when he got a new owner, he didn't even has it in him to go to hiim and demand what he needed, which was help. Tice I am sure has learned a lot in his four full years, most of which has come at our expense. He will be better for it when he gets his next job. I don't think it is far to label Tice as a College coach. If he has truly learned anything, he will approach his head coaching differently next time from the start. It was to big of a task to change from the "fun loving buddy buddy assistant coach" to the "I am in control here" Head Coach, it just never actually happened. He never transformed amongst his football players.

I am not trying to make excuses for Tice. Just pointing out his downfall.

When it comes down to it, he didn't command that respect from his players. There are many styles from Dungy to Parcells, but however you do it, you must have a fine line in the sand that you will never cross with your players. You also have to be willing to go toe to toe with the owners and front office.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast