Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    mjlyon's Avatar
    mjlyon is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005–06_NFL_playoffs
    The #2 Seed Bears hosted the Panthers on Sunday.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006–07_NFL_playoffs
    The #2 Seed Saints hosted the Eagles at 8 Eastern, 7 Central
    The #2 Seed AFC was the early game)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_NFL_playoffs
    The #2 Seed Packers hosted the Seahawks at 3:30 Central (Early
    The #2 Seed AFC was the late game (Jags/Pats)

    So, I guess it DOES come down to scheduling.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    191

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Zeus wrote:
    mjlyon wrote:
    I guess I was using the fact that the #2 seed played on Saturday last year (Panthers/Cards)

    It doesn't matter WHO they play, I'm wondering when?
    As noted, the When will not be determined until after this weekend's games.

    For consideration, look at last year's divisional round:

    Saturday:
    3:30 - BAL @ TEN
    7:15 - ATL @ ARZ

    Sunday:
    Noon - PHI @ NYG
    3:45 - SD @ PIT

    Notice - the late Saturday game involved the only WEST COAST home team. San Diego (as host of one of the games this year) CANNOT be the early game on Sunday.

    So, if the Vikings are the host of one of the two late games (which, IMHO, is a virtual lock due to the Star factor), then they would (most likely) be the 3:45 game on Sunday, with SD hosting the Saturday night game.

    So that would look like:
    Saturday (1/16):
    3:30 - ??? @ NO
    7:15 - ??? @ SD

    Sunday (1/17):
    Noon - ??? @ IND
    3:45 - ??? @ MIN

    The conferences HAVE to split the early/late timeslots.

    That's my guess on what happens.

    =Z=
    I am not sure which slot they care most about. But if we are playing the Cowboys or Packers I could definitely see them making us the Saturday night game over the Patriots vs. Chargers.

    Not sure which one the league values more though ... the late Saturday or late Sunday game.
    None

  3. #23
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    mjlyon wrote:
    I guess I was using the fact that the #2 seed played on Saturday last year (Panthers/Cards)

    It doesn't matter WHO they play, I'm wondering when?
    As noted, the When will not be determined until after this weekend's games.

    For consideration, look at last year's divisional round:

    Saturday:
    3:30 - BAL @ TEN
    7:15 - ATL @ ARZ

    Sunday:
    Noon - PHI @ NYG
    3:45 - SD @ PIT

    Notice - the late Saturday game involved the only WEST COAST home team. San Diego (as host of one of the games this year) CANNOT be the early game on Sunday.

    So, if the Vikings are the host of one of the two late games (which, IMHO, is a virtual lock due to the Star factor), then they would (most likely) be the 3:45 game on Sunday, with SD hosting the Saturday night game.

    So that would look like:
    Saturday (1/16):
    3:30 - ??? @ NO
    7:15 - ??? @ SD

    Sunday (1/17):
    Noon - ??? @ IND
    3:45 - ??? @ MIN

    The conferences HAVE to split the early/late timeslots.

    That's my guess on what happens.
    San Diego can be the late game on Sunday, or either game on Saturday. Considering that the potential SD matchups are with NE, Cincinnati, or NYJ... the only way I see them getting the Saturday Night game is if they play the Jets. And that can only happen if BOTH AFC wild cards win this weekend.

    Our potential matchups are Dallas, AZ, or Green Bay. If it is a Dallas or GB game, I would bet you a Grain Belt Premium that we have the Saturday Night game. Way too much TV draw for them to put it anywhere else.
    You forget, however that Saturday night < Sunday late. All you need to know to see that is look at last year's AZ @ CAR matchup. The Sunday late game is the premiere timeslot of the weekend, not Saturday night.

    =Z=
    I think Saturday night is the bigger rating spot. Look at last year for the Wild card:

    Saturday night game: ND 17 @ SD 23
    Sunday Late game: PHI 26 @ MIN 14

    In 2007 it was the same, the bigger game was the night game. The only reason I thin SD had the Sunday night game in teh divisionals last year is because they already had a Saturday game in the Wild Card. Dunno.

    I guess we will find out in a week. I would prefer the Sat night game, then the Sat afternoon game, then the Sunday noon game, then the Sun afternoon. In that order.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Also, Eagles at Cowboys is easily the biggest matchup of the wild card week, and it is the Sat night game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    You guys are making my head hurt. All I need to know is, I'm watching football on the following dates and times....

    Sat., Jan. 9, 4:30 p.m. ET NBC
    Sun., Jan. 10, 1:00 p.m. ET CBS
    Sat., Jan. 9, 8:00 p.m. ET NBC
    Sun., Jan 10, 4:40 p.m. ET FOX

    I'll figure out the Div rounds sometime early next week.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Not sure which one the league values more though ... the late Saturday or late Sunday game.
    Late Sunday.

    Last year's ratings:
    BAL @ TEN = 17.0 (Saturday early)
    ARZ @ CAR = 15.8 (Sat late)
    PHI @ NYG = 20.9 (Sunday early)
    SD @ PIT = 21.4 (Sunday late)

    2007's ratings:
    SEA @ GB = 18.5 (Saturday early)
    JAX @ NE = 20.2 (Saturday late)
    SD @ IND = 21.2 (Sunday early)
    NYG @ DAL = 25.8 (Sunday late)

    In *BOTH* years, the early Sunday game beat the late Saturday game. And in 2007, the late Saturday game included the undefeated Patriots.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #27
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    NodakPaul wrote:
    I think Saturday night is the bigger rating spot. Look at last year for the Wild card:

    Saturday night game: ND 17 @ SD 23
    Sunday Late game: PHI 26 @ MIN 14

    In 2007 it was the same, the bigger game was the night game. The only reason I thin SD had the Sunday night game in teh divisionals last year is because they already had a Saturday game in the Wild Card. Dunno.

    I guess we will find out in a week. I would prefer the Sat night game, then the Sat afternoon game, then the Sunday noon game, then the Sun afternoon. In that order.
    IND @ SD was the Wild-card round Saturday night late game last year. You need a better website to get your facts.

    PHI @ MIN had the highest ratings of any game that weekend.

    ATL @ ARZ - 14.3 (Saturday early)
    IND @ SD - 18.3 (Saturday late)
    BAL @ MIA - 17.0 (Sunday early)
    PHI @ ARZ - 19.9 (Sunday late)

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #28
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    NodakPaul wrote:
    Also, Eagles at Cowboys is easily the biggest matchup of the wild card week, and it is the Sat night game.
    The Wild-Card weekend is a different beast, since NBC has both of the Saturday games.

    Again - check the actual ratings. Sunday late is the premiere spot for the Divisional weekend, NOT Saturday night.

    Just use common sense - when are more people home? Sunday afternoon or Saturday night?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    I think Saturday night is the bigger rating spot. Look at last year for the Wild card:

    Saturday night game: ND 17 @ SD 23
    Sunday Late game: PHI 26 @ MIN 14

    In 2007 it was the same, the bigger game was the night game. The only reason I thin SD had the Sunday night game in teh divisionals last year is because they already had a Saturday game in the Wild Card. Dunno.

    I guess we will find out in a week. I would prefer the Sat night game, then the Sat afternoon game, then the Sunday noon game, then the Sun afternoon. In that order.
    IND @ SD was the Wild-card round Saturday night late game last year. You need a better website to get your facts.

    PHI @ MIN had the highest ratings of any game that weekend.

    ATL @ ARZ - 14.3 (Saturday early)
    IND @ SD - 18.3 (Saturday late)
    BAL @ MIA - 17.0 (Sunday early)
    PHI @ ARZ - 19.9 (Sunday late)

    =Z=
    I did say IND @ SD. The I just got cut off when I copied.

    OK, I can concede that the Sunday late game is a better ratings spot. But if you look at the history, the better matchups have almost always been the Saturday late game.

    Maybe the NFL does this to encourage viewers. Maybe it has more to do with where the various television stations are in their contracts (The networks lobby for spots, but the NFL decided). Who knows. But I honestly think that DAL @ MIN or GB @ MIN will be the best matchup of the weekend, and my guess is that it will be the Saturday night game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    Dekay's Avatar
    Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    386

    Re:Saturday or Sunday

    Just released on the NFC North Blog:

    [ul]Minnesota will host its game on Sunday (January 17) with a 1 p.m. ET kickoff. The game will be televised on FOX.[/ul]

    [ul]If Green Bay wins Sunday at Arizona, it will play either the Vikings or New Orleans. If it’s the Saints, that game will on Saturday (January 16) with a 4:30 p.m. ET kickoff. It will also be televised by FOX.[/ul]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PPO Get-together for Saturday Night???
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
  2. Jeff Saturday to test FA
    By C Mac D in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
  3. No more Saturday mail?
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
  4. SATURDAY!! 7/28/07!!
    By Vikes_King in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM
  5. This Saturday!!!
    By VIKE58 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 05:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •