Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Jamarca had some good hits yesterday and his fumble causing hit and recovery were a big part of our victory yesterday. He has never had a problem being physical, where he lacks is being in the right place at the right time or making a play in space.

Mistral was playing well before he went down..much better than I saw him play last year. We can get by with Sanford for now, but I will feel better when Raymond gets back.

That was truly a black and blue game, I can only imagine how long the line was in Detroit to get into the ice tub.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Jamarca had some good hits yesterday and his fumble causing hit and recovery were a big part of our victory yesterday. He has never had a problem being physical, where he lacks is being in the right place at the right time or making a play in space.

Mistral was playing well before he went down..much better than I saw him play last year. We can get by with Sanford for now, but I will feel better when Raymond gets back.

That was truly a black and blue game, I can only imagine how long the line was in Detroit to get into the ice tub.
    Quick question. How much do you think it helps the S's to be in the right place at the right time when they are back in their zones like they were yesterday.

Truth be told, yesterday was the first time in a long time I saw S's and LB"rs (especially Jasper) that deep at the snap of the ball.

I personally think that is why they were so successful.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Sanford still struggles in coverage. If you use him as a in the box safety he isn't a bad player.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    Sanford still struggles in coverage. If you use him as a in the box safety he isn't a bad player.
    Exactly.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I was one of the first guys to call for JS to get some playing time back when we had M. WIlliams and Co. With that said, the guy has clear deficiencies in turning and running with Wrs and in taking the correct angle on sweep plays. Will he get better? Possible but I would like us to address the SS position with a safety like Reid from LSU.

Hey Marr,
    Looks like Evans had a hell of a game yesterday at the 3 tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quick question. How much do you think it helps the S's to be in the right place at the right time when they are back in their zones like they were yesterday.

Truth be told, yesterday was the first time in a long time I saw S's and LB"rs (especially Jasper) that deep at the snap of the ball.

I personally think that is why they were so successful.
    They were that deep largely because they were defending a vertical oriented offense and had a lead after the first 15 seconds of the game. Not just because the DL was blowing up the OL.

Don't get too carried away with trying to convince everyone that our only issue for the last 10 years has been with the front 4 providing adequate pressure. Your point is well taken, that the secondary is more able to do their job when the DL is doing theirs, but it doesn't let the secondary off the hook for poor play.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I was one of the first guys to call for JS to get some playing time back when we had M. WIlliams and Co. With that said, the guy has clear deficiencies in turning and running with Wrs and in taking the correct angle on sweep plays. Will he get better? Possible but I would like us to address the SS position with a safety like Reid from LSU.

Hey Marr,
    Completely agree on Sanford. Although he did make an impact this Sunday, and he should get credit for that.

I think we should look at focusing on WR in the draft first

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post

Hey Marr,
    I did. I think he is servicable at the 3 tech. Never said otherwise. Its the 0/1 tech that I have beef with him at. I think the coaches are crazy for trying to make him fill that spot.

On a side note, because they are trying Guion there, I think the new D-coord agrees with me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Freakout View Post
    So how do you explain how well he did in coverage (out of the box) last weekend?

Like all DB's, if they are forced to play short in their zones, or on the line, they will look like crap in coverage.

If the DL doesn't need help, like it didn't last weekend, they are allowed to play deep in their zones which allows them to read/react better in the scheme.

Mix in that he seems to have been getting better coaching/progressing, and I think you will see why he has played better. Or at least appears to be playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    They were that deep largely because they were defending a vertical oriented offense and had a lead after the first 15 seconds of the game. Not just because the DL was blowing up the OL.

Don't get too carried away with trying to convince everyone that our only issue for the last 10 years has been with the front 4 providing adequate pressure. Your point is well taken, that the secondary is more able to do their job when the DL is doing theirs, but it doesn't let the secondary off the hook for poor play.
    I can live with that.

Look, I'm not letting them off the hook. I'd love to have shut down corners and free ranging S's, but they just don't grow on trees. What we have are C2 DB's that need to have good play by the DL (pressure) and LB'rs (stopping the run/coverage in the short zones) for them to do their job correctly.

If one area in front of them breaks down they will look like crap. If both areas do what they are supposed to do, they will look more than serviceable, like we saw last weekend and to a certain extent, the weekend before.

Just an observation, but it seems that every week this defense gets a bit better. Maybe we, as fans, just need to be a bit more patient with our team as the new D-coord works with them to understand the scheme he is trying to run.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast