Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sammy Watkins

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleblood32 View Post
    vikings have some talent free agents on their radar...zims guys SS TAYLOR MAYS ..AND DE MICHAEL JOHNSON 6'7" 266...both can fill a need on defence ..PLAYED FOR ZIM IN CINN...ALL OUR NEEDS CANT BE FILLED VIA DRAFT OR IN ONE YEAR ...FA SIGNING WILL HELP
    taylor mays is bad in coverage.. MICHAEL JOHNSON IS GONNA GET A HUGE CONTRACT... I DOUBT HE'S WORTH THE $$$ HE'LL GET .. His production fell way off without GENO ATKINS LAST SEASON
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 02-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Actually the only thing that dropped in Michael Johnson last year was his sack totals. He had the second most tackles of his career last year, plus He bats balls at the line of scrimmage, plays extremely well against the run, and is still young on top of it... I like him alot, but the price may be too much unless he takes a reasonable contact to play for Zimmer. Another DE I like is Lamaar Houston.. Great pass rusher,good against the run and has the ability to cover a TE.. not a necessity position but there may be an offer to good to pass up...... as for Taylor Mays, his coverage skills are terrible, out of position and just too much of a liability.might as well sign Delmas... Johnson? yes, Mays ? definitely not
    Last edited by vikingsfan620; 02-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    taylor mays is bad in coverage.. MICHAEL JOHNSON IS GONNA GET A HUGE CONTRACT... I DOUBT HE'S WORTH THE $$$ HE'LL GET .. His production fell way off without GENO ATKINS LAST SEASON
    +1

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    If Watkins is the BPA (and a QB worth that pick isn't there) we should take him. I just don't think you pass up he opportunity to add a weapon like that and make WR a huge matchup issue for the other team to deal with.
    A potential gold chip WR at number 8?

That would be like drafting a potential All Pro MVP type running back at 7 when the team already had picked up a good free agent running back the year before.

What team would do that?

BPA man ... BPA.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    A potential gold chip WR at number 8?

That would be like drafting a potential All Pro MVP type running back at 7 when the team already had picked up a good free agent running back the year before.

What team would do that?

BPA man ... BPA.
    There is a slight difference in the fact that most teams only have ONE tailback in the game while they do have three and four WR sets. You need and can have more WRs in the game at one time. Most great offensive teams had at least two great wrs. the 70's Steelers had Swann and Stallworth, the 80's and 90's Niners teams had Rice and Taylor. So a case can be made for Watkins if he is the PBA on the Vikings board.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    There is a slight difference in the fact that most teams only have ONE tailback in the game while they do have three and four WR sets. You need and can have more WRs in the game at one time. Most great offensive teams had at least two great wrs. the 70's Steelers had Swann and Stallworth, the 80's and 90's Niners teams had Rice and Taylor. So a case can be made for Watkins if he is the PBA on the Vikings board.
    I agree. Please read my post again to figure out why. Again, what team would do that?

Why would a team take a chance on a potential great WR at 21 when they already have arguably the best WR combo in the NFL with Cris Carter and Jake Reed?

BPA man ... BPA.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    The idea of adding Watkins to our growing stockpile of weapons is very enticing to be sure! But, with the plethora of talented WRs coming out of this draft and all of our holes on defense, moving back and stockpiling picks instead could be great for a quick turn around for this team.

San Fran has been to the title game 3 times and the Superbowl once in the last 3 years. They are a very solid team with few holes and extra draft picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Snagging a weapon of Watkins caliber to pair with Boldin, Crabtree and Davis could really push them over the top, and I could see them making a big move like this to get there. Moving from 30 to 8 would require about 800 points worth of picks, or SF's first, both 2nds and their late 3rd.

Sure, moving all the way back to 30 is going to dilute the talent level a bit, but we would then have THREE picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds with which to move back up a bit, or stand pat and fill several holes by the end of day 2. And, really, if the top three QBs are gone before 8, 30 might be a good place to take another look at that position.

2014 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

IF Watkins is still there, there very well could be a strong market for him, because, the next 2 teams after us, BUF at 9 and DET at 10, are definitely looking for a number 1 WR or somebody to pull attention away from CJ when he is on the field, and to give them a solid option in the games he misses. Other teams looking for a real deal WR a bit later include: Giants, Rams, Ravens, Jets, Packers, Browns and Panthers.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

smegmavike is offline Coach
    If Watkins is there at 8 would you trade down for more picks or take him ?
    I think Spielman would trade down. I wouldn't. He would add a dimension to the offense that would likely be more beneficial than the extra picks. I realize the great amount of need that is there at so many positions, but that is a result of past draft day decisions.
    Let's hope the Vikings stop wasting picks to move up. Then maybe they won't have to look to move down for more picks.
    Spielman loves to move up and down the board, and it appears he has drafted some good players. However, there are some real deficiencies when it comes to depth on this team.
    They moved down to end up with Cook. They gave up a pick to move up for a back up running back.
    I'm glad they moved up to get some players, like Smith and Patterson, but moving up is costly, and the quality of depth suffers.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    In this league it is easier to build a great offense than to build a great defense. I would take him at 8 if Mack,

iowa is offline Rookie
    we need a qb. we have weapons, we don't have anyone to get them the ball. i'd like to see the vikes land johnny football, that's probably unlikely to happen so the next best option is to aquire blue chip defensive prospects. mack could possibly still be there for us, i'd take him over watkins.
    None

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast