Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Same ol' Vikes

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Same ol' Vikes

Nice one COJOMAY. they lack a mental toughness on this team and that is one indicator. Some of those penalties are beacuse people are lazy, that's when they grab and hold because they are too lazy too move their feet. And that doesn't just go for linemen, DBs, lbs, rbs blocking in the backfield!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Del Rio Guest

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Del Rio - I did state that the run defense was good but that is the same as last year. We were pretty good against the run. Most teams are going to abandon the run and slice and dice us through the air if we don't start to change things. Canadian vike - penalties stop drives during the regular season too. You say we dominated the first quarter when it was only 7-0. You have to remember that the Jets didn't let Pennington throw until the second qurter because of his arm. And Tice has been saying the penalties will go down since he was hired four years ago. I am not concerned about the second half, those players will rarely see the filed during the season. I am more concrned about the play on D by our corners and D-line. Winfield should be embarrased by his play, Cole was his Daddy. B. Will was sickening and the D-line showed no improvement in their pass rush. When you have no pass rush and poor cover guys in the secondary it's a recipe for pinball scores. I am not saying we are going to have a bad year but I am disheartened by the play of supposedly good players. We have talent no doubt, but so did the Washington Redskins a few years ago and that never translated into wins. I just hope Tice will do a better job of getting eveything out of his players because he hasn't for three years. I give a coach fours years to make progress and his teams play exactly the same as his first year. That means he is not growing as a coach. I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a new coach this year but if we aren't better prepared this year I will be screaming for a new head coach. Tice has had enough time to prove himself it time to sh*t or get off the pot!!!
    I don't think I read anything in your post I disagree with. Except the fact that pennington did indeed throw in the first quarter.

1-10-NYJ 31 (9:08) 28-C.Martin left tackle to NYJ 31 for no gain (58-N.Harris, 98-D.Scott).

2-10-NYJ 31 (8:33) 10-C.Pennington pass to 35-B.Askew to NYJ 33 for 2 yards (56-E.Henderson).

3-8-NYJ 33 (7:52) (Shotgun) 10-C.Pennington pass to 87-L.Coles to NYJ 34 for 1 yard (42-D.Sharper).

4-7-NYJ 34 (7:17) 7-B.Graham punts 43 yards to MIN 23, Center-85-J.Dearth. 82-K.Howry ran ob at MIN 23 for no gain.
    PENALTY on MIN-24-W.Offord, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 23

That was the first 3 and out Pennington threw twice.

1-10-NYJ 17 (1:01) 28-C.Martin right end to NYJ 17 for no gain (26-A.Winfield).

2-10-NYJ 17 (:27) 10-C.Pennington pass to 87-L.Coles to NYJ 26 for 9 yards (26-A.Winfield).

3-1-NYJ 26 (15:00) 10-C.Pennington sacked at NYJ 26 for 0 yards (24-W.Offord).

4-1-NYJ 26 (14:13) 4-M.Knorr punts 40 yards to MIN 34, Center-85-J.Dearth, fair catch by 30-M.Moore

That's it. Even the last two plays were in the second quarter. Not too shabby in my book. For those of you who are counting........that's six plays in an entire quarter.

Del Rio Guest

I wouldn't say holding comes from being lazy.

I think a more logical reason would be being unprepared. If a blitz shoots a gap next to a lineman even with moving feet it could be too late, then you reach.

A little secret is on every single play there is holding on the offensive line. You only get called for it when the defender gets away from you and the ref actually sees your jersey stretch.

The burden of proof is on the defender.

There is a drill that teaches you to get seperation to get the holding call.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Del Rio - I did state that the run defense was good but that is the same as last year. We were pretty good against the run.
    Ummm, no we weren't. We were 21st in the league last year in rushing defence. That's why we brought in Fat Pat.

The run defence against the Jets was much improved.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

One preseason loss and everyone thinks the ship is sinking. jeesh. yep, with the exception of pep and burleson, we played like crap. the penalties are inexcusable as well as the turnovers. but as mentioned already, its preseason and the vikes never play well at the meadowlands (see 2000 nfc championship). we already know that b will is garbage, except when favre is throwing passes to him. smoot will be back soon and teams will not throw on us that easy. the pressure will get better on opposing qbs, ted cottrell didnt have a number defense for no reason. let the chemistry get better and everyone settle down. alot of the culprits on all the peanalties are people who wont be on the team come sept 11. we dont need to go off the handle after one preseason loss. look at the colts, they are 0-3. the vikes will be fine.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

:laughing3:

Hehe, I like that.

Prophet Guest

I think everyone knows that the final outcome of a preseason game is meaningless. I think the Pats were 0-4 in preseason last year and we all know how that ended up.

I enjoyed the first quarter. It has been a long long time since the Vikings defense actually held a team from getting a first down for a whole quarter. The norm for the Vikings D as of late was to pray that they would hold them to a field goal....a three and out was only a pipe dream.

I'm sure even the meathead Tice is working the team hard for all the inexcusable penalties.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456