Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re:Sage Rosenfels traded to Giants

gregair13 wrote:
    I am more sad that Raynaud is gone. I like him
    Agreed. We're not winning the Super Bowl with either one of our backups, so it makes little difference. Everything depends on Favre. That being said, I'd prefer it if they'd kept the one who I think is at least capable of winning a game.

Reynaud, on the other hand, was a pretty good punt returner. I wish they hadn't given them up
    "I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations: terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls. And then there's unrequited love, and tyranny, and cruelty. We all have a world of our own terrors to face."
    - The Doctor

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Amen.

Farve goes down by week 6 and Tjack knocks us out of the playoffs with his "ho hum" check down passes.

Chilly and Tjack ride off into the sunset when season ends (no by their own doing). Along with Farve and PatW. The ride is over and after today, we do not have a single quarterback under contract for next season.

Thanks for nothing Chiller. Moron.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

mnjamie wrote:
    Amen.

Farve goes down by week 6 and Tjack knocks us out of the playoffs with his "ho hum" check down passes.

Chilly and Tjack ride off into the sunset when season ends (no by their own doing). Along with Farve and PatW. The ride is over and after today, we do not have a single quarterback under contract for next season.

If we don't win the Superbowl, I am ok with this happening.

But we will sign Tom Brady and bring a new coach along too.
    We're bringing purple back.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

I saw this coming along time ago... except it didn't include Reynaud. I was wondering where he would fit on the roster w/ Gerhart and Young there.

It does make sense if you stop and think about it.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

This move only confirms what I have believed all this preseason. Sage was being showcased in order to generate some trade interest, and it worked.

As for why Reynaud was included, that was probably not the Vikings offer, it was more likely a demand by the Giants. Something like, "Well, OK we'll take your guy, but only if you throw in another, like a return guy or something." In the end, we got a better guaranteed pick than I anticipated (expected a 6 maybe) plus a conditional in 2012.

The trade seems reasonable to me, but I'd rather have gotten a player who could help now, rather than picks for the future.

Oh, and if it was truly a financial bottom line decision to move Sage, then it wasn't Childress's call. He's not the money guy.

Seriously, I cannot see this being only because of a stubborn streak on BC's part. I now even more strongly suspect that TJ was being deliberately held back in order to make Rosenfels look better. If a Head Coach is so stubborn as to put his own ego ahead of his team's well-being, then you'd be hearing at least something about it from the ownership am upper management. We're not, which means that either everyone agrees with Childress about TJ, or they're the world's greatest at keeping their mouths shut.

I readily admit that I may be wrong about this, but it fits the facts of the situation better than any other explanation I have yet heard. If TJ was really as bad as he has looked in this preseason, SOMEONE in management would have been calling for his head and he should have been cut, instead of being declared the concrete #2. We would not have been shopping Rosenfels in order to keep TJ.

One last thing... I would not be pursuing Houshmanzadeh with the money saved on Sage. We need help elsewhere (OL and CB, primarily) more than at WR, especially since Rice will be returning at some point, and then who do you cut?

The only way I see the Vikings going after Housh is if they want to make another trade, that being a WR for a Center or utility OL.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

It's a pretty fair trade on all sides so I am not unhappy about it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

mnjamie wrote:
    Amen.

How soon people forget that if not for T-Jack, the Vikings wouldn't have won the NFCN Championship in '08

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Freakout wrote:
    MaxVike wrote:
    People: remove emotion, become a GM...for a second.

Value for QB? Zero for TJack, except for in the Vikings System. No, I'm not a fan, but, he has more value here than anywhere else. At some point, we need to defer...

Reynaud? As a RB, goodbye. A WR, fringe, at best. Returner? Replaceable...no question.

This move is not earth shaking... at all.

For the record, I think TJack sux, and Rosencopter is worse.
    I'll be a GM.

My team is playing for a championship. Injuries happen. So I choose to trade my best backup QB.

My special teams unit has been bad for years. Reynaud is hands down the best punt returner I have on my roster and has versatility in case a RB or WR goes down. Can he be replaced? Sure but not with the season less than a week away.

I only move these two if I care more about the bottom line.

It is just stupid. I get the Rosen trade, Childress will never let his joke of a project Jackson go. That pretty much forced Rosenfels out.

Giving Reynuad away with him makes no sense. Give away a future conditional pick if a team needed motivation to take on Sage's contract. We need what Darius brings right now.
    A GM looks at more than just the last game (especially a pre-season game) when making decisions.

Since the day over-paid clip board holding Rosencopter arrived in MN, T-Jack, whether you like him or not, clearly beat out Sage for the #2 spot. There were times when they were neck & neck or Sage was ahead of TJ, but in the overall picture of things, TJ did it better & for less money.

Why would the Vikes pay Sage $3 mil again to hold a clipboard?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Sage is a better Qb than Jackson hands down and we get rid of him and get shit in exchage.Ok masterminds
    El underdog.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    1. TJack probably didn't have much of a market.
    2. TJack only has one year left on his contract, so even if anyone wanted him, they probably wouldn't pull the trigger.
    3. If Favre gets hurt, Sage or TJack aren't winning us a Super Bowl so who cares.
    4. TJack seems to be well liked by teammates.

So keep that in mind before you bitch about this trade.
    I agree with 1,2,and 4, but you are dead wrong about 3. I don't expect any of these guys to win a SB, but if Brett goes down for a couple of games or a couple of series during the season, you will need someone to pick up the slack. With only 17 games in the season, 1 game can cost you the playoff, homefield advantage, etc.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast