Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sage

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Sage

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V-Unit wrote:
    I'm completely against trading Sage. Nothing we could possibly get for him is going to help us win more games this season, and Webb doesn't look like he's worth keeping on the roster.

-V-
    Having Sage wouldn't help us win games this year, however, trading him woudl help us in future years.

And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.
    Exactly.

Face it, Sage is gone. Either through a trade or with the final roster cut. He is a serviceable backup, but we already have one of those in TJack (and a better one IMHO). Keeping Sage at 3rd QB like last year would be a waste of money. We are paying him too much money to have him be deactivated for every single game (like last year).

I think it is fairly obvious that the Vikings are shopping him. PA said on the radio this morning that he threw 34 passes. For a preseason game, that is very, very high. PA went back ten years and couldn't find a QB who threw that much in a preseason game. So we put Sage out there for a long time so we could generate a lot of game tape on him IMHO. And what better team to do it against than the St Louis Rams?

Sage looked brilliantly average against the Rams, which is about what I would expect from him. Hopefully we can trade him to another team where he can at least be the number 2.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

tastywaves wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.
    I agree, from the small number of snaps he took i think he clearly has all the raw tools needed and if moulded, taught right and brought along slowly then it will be interesting to see how he turns out.
    But then again Brett can go down at any time at his age and Jackson has shown that he is also not very durable. Would you be more comfortable on a playoff run with Webb behind center? I know I wouldn't be.
    Agreed. Sage's price is not high enough to be concerned about it's impact to the team. Webb is nothing but an experiment at this time. Putting him on the PS is the place for him unless Favre doesn't come back.

Bottom line, TJ can not be counted on to lead this team for any extended period of time. He's a great backup for Favre, but that's all he's proven to date. If Favre does come back and gets himself hurt in the post season, I would put a very short leash on TJ. Webb doesn't give you that option.

Different team in a different season, I may make a different decision. But this team, this year, I have to agree with Floyd and V-Unit.
    TJack has proven that he is a very good backup. If something happens to Favre, then he comes in as the backup - that is his job. You don't have a backup to the backup just in case the backup can't do his job. If you didn't have enough faith in your backup, then he shouldn't have the #2 spot on the roster, plain and simple.

The 3rd QB should be a young QB that you are bringing up in the system. Not a 10 year vet who you are holding on top just in case.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet wrote:
    Great preseason game. I think we should just extrapolate all the data from that game and predict our season.
    There you are! I've missed you, asshole!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

NodakPaul wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I agree, from the small number of snaps he took i think he clearly has all the raw tools needed and if moulded, taught right and brought along slowly then it will be interesting to see how he turns out.
    But then again Brett can go down at any time at his age and Jackson has shown that he is also not very durable. Would you be more comfortable on a playoff run with Webb behind center? I know I wouldn't be.
    Agreed. Sage's price is not high enough to be concerned about it's impact to the team. Webb is nothing but an experiment at this time. Putting him on the PS is the place for him unless Favre doesn't come back.

Bottom line, TJ can not be counted on to lead this team for any extended period of time. He's a great backup for Favre, but that's all he's proven to date. If Favre does come back and gets himself hurt in the post season, I would put a very short leash on TJ. Webb doesn't give you that option.

Different team in a different season, I may make a different decision. But this team, this year, I have to agree with Floyd and V-Unit.
    TJack has proven that he is a very good backup. If something happens to Favre, then he comes in as the backup - that is his job. You don't have a backup to the backup just in case the backup can't do his job. If you didn't have enough faith in your backup, then he shouldn't have the #2 spot on the roster, plain and simple.

The 3rd QB should be a young QB that you are bringing up in the system. Not a 10 year vet who you are holding on top just in case.
    You do when you have a decent shot at winning a SB.

VERY good backup can be debated. What he hasn't proven is that he can't be counted on in a pressure filled game, like the playoffs. Sure he may be better, but then again he may not. Will Sage be any better, maybe not...but maybe he will. Personally, I like Sage's mental makeup better than TJ's. In post season games, this may give Sage an advantage.

Trade value for Sage is minimal. Do we really need another 4th or 5th round pick next year? I would say Sage's value to this team is greater than a 4th or 5th round pick will most likely be. Also, there is next year to think about when Favre is out of the equation and TJ's future with the vikings is uncertain.

The only reason I can see in following your approach is if you feel really strongly about Webb. Just having a young guy for development doesn't fly with me unless you believe fairly strongly in him. If it's a point of you don't know unless you invest multiple years in him and allow him to develop, then I don't think it's worth it with this team. Especially with a guy who didn't think he would have an opportunity to compete at QB in the NFL.

If we would have drafted a QB higher with the purpose of developing him for the future, then I could also buy in to your approach. Webb was not drafted to be that guy. He's simply an experiment at this point.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Zeus wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Great preseason game. I think we should just extrapolate all the data from that game and predict our season.
    There you are! I've missed your asshole!

=Z=
    :blink:

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

ultravikingfan wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

=Z=
    Are you two?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

singersp wrote:
    Before you guys get all giddy & agog about Sage's performance, do I have to remind you that he did it against the second stringers & their backups of the worst team in the league last year?

How soon people forget the Rams were 1-15 last year & their defense was the 3rd worst in the league (29th). LOL!

He might be getting shopped or at least getting a last damn good look at him before saying bye-bye to the $9 mil waste, just to make the Vikings more sure of what they are doing.

Or

With Jackson sitting longer, perhaps they are saving their starting QB in case Favre decides he isn't coming after all, just as a precautionary measure.

Most likely, it's a repeat of last year. Sage played the majority of the first game & Jackson played the majority of the second.

Same song, second verse.
    Been saying this almost all off season, this team can/will make almost any QB look good, including some of our backups. Put them on the field against scrubs like the Rams and you have the makings of a QB that looks/looked like a HOF'r.

In short, all the extra reps were, as Webby and a few of you mentioned, a means to shop Sage. As soon as a team looses either thier primary backup or thier starter gets a bit digned, someone will come calling.

Question is, did Sage do enough last night or did the teams see his performance the way I did............

I haven't had a chance to see the whole game yet, however, from what I did see Sage threw several that were clearly under thrown and most of the completions were to WR's that were open, really really really open because a WR ran a good route or the Rams secondary blew a coverage.

Think about it.......Mills, for cripes sake, was actually productive for once. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

ultravikingfan wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

=Z=
    Well....that explains the mess....

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    ultravikingfan wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Prophet wrote:

=Z=
    Well....that explains the mess....

HAHAHAHAHA

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

I see this thread is in keeping with the most thoughtful and articulate dialog. A recognized staple here at PPO. B)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast