Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 97

Thread: Sage

  1. #31
    ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    321

    Re:Sage

    Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with a couple points that have been made so far (I'm condensing and paraphrasing)...

    1. "The Rams are a shitty team, and it's backups are even more shitty, so beating them in a preseason game (no matter how badly) isn't worth any positivity."

    Sorry, but I gotta call BS on that. Would it have been better to squeak by, tie, or LOSE to them? Of course not...this site would be blowing up if, for instance, Sage and T-Jack stunk up the field and came away with 50-75 yds passing and a handful of INTs each, or if the Defense allowed what the Rams D allowed. The fact that they were beaten handily, with Sage passing for over 300 yards and 3 TDs and our Defense not allowing a single point from their Offense, should cause at least a sliver of optimism.

    2. "We should let Joe Webb go because it's wasting a roster spot to keep him when he's not going to contribute THIS year."

    If the Vikings are, indeed, shopping Rosenfels, then wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 3rd QB behind Favre and TJ, regardless of how "raw" he may be? Even if they aren't showcasing Sage...is it unheard of, or against the rules, to have 4 QBs on the roster? Not being sarcastic...I honestly don't know. Personally, I like the idea of having a developmental QB waiting in the wings, and Webb is a likeable guy so far for that role.

    JMO

  2. #32
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re:Sage

    I'm completely against trading Sage. Nothing we could possibly get for him is going to help us win more games this season, and Webb doesn't look like he's worth keeping on the roster.

    -V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  3. #33
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Sage

    V-Unit wrote:
    I'm completely against trading Sage. Nothing we could possibly get for him is going to help us win more games this season, and Webb doesn't look like he's worth keeping on the roster.

    -V-
    Having Sage wouldn't help us win games this year, however, trading him woudl help us in future years.

    And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.

  4. #34
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re:Sage

    Looking at the game highlights there is one thing that stood out for me. Ignoring the fact that Sage was playing against second/third stringers.. he was throwing passes of more than 5 yards. Consider that this was in a vanilla version of the KAO ( if that is actually possible ) how often have we seen TJ do this in pre-season let alone regular season games?
    Seems to me that either Chilly wasn't calling the plays or that any QB, except TJ, is actually trusted to do more than hand off the ball or pass more than an arms length.
    Personally I believe the latter.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #35
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:Sage

    Great preseason game. I think we should just extrapolate all the data from that game and predict our season.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #36
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,681

    Re:Sage

    Webby wrote:
    So, we are definitely shopping him.

    You can't be any clearer after tonight.
    Exactly what i thought while watching the game.. :laugh:

    He put up impressive numbers so hopefully at least one team out there might need a veteran back-up who can tear it up this year when needed!.. lol

  7. #37
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,681

    Re:Sage

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.[/quote]

    I agree, from the small number of snaps he took i think he clearly has all the raw tools needed and if moulded, taught right and brought along slowly then it will be interesting to see how he turns out.

  8. #38
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Sage

    Johnson14 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.
    I agree, from the small number of snaps he took i think he clearly has all the raw tools needed and if moulded, taught right and brought along slowly then it will be interesting to see how he turns out.[/quote]

    But then again Brett can go down at any time at his age and Jackson has shown that he is also not very durable. Would you be more comfortable on a playoff run with Webb behind center? I know I wouldn't be.

  9. #39
    Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Portsmouth UK
    Posts
    655

    Re:Sage

    AngloVike wrote:
    Looking at the game highlights there is one thing that stood out for me. Ignoring the fact that Sage was playing against second/third stringers.. he was throwing passes of more than 5 yards. Consider that this was in a vanilla version of the KAO ( if that is actually possible ) how often have we seen TJ do this in pre-season let alone regular season games?
    Seems to me that either Chilly wasn't calling the plays or that any QB, except TJ, is actually trusted to do more than hand off the ball or pass more than an arms length.
    Personally I believe the latter.
    A lot is made of the fact that it was 2nd or 3rd string defenses he played against but not yet watched the game and want to know how many of our 1st string were on the field with Sage. If none or few then the numbers stack up, if Berrian, Shiancoe et al were on the field then I agree it's nothing to get excited about.

    ANYTHING positive from the game?
    Purple till i die

  10. #40
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889

    Re:Sage

    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    And how can you Claim Webb isn't worth anything after a handful of snaps? The guys evidently a project, moreso than TJ. I don't expect anything from him this year, but he is an intriguing prospect.
    I agree, from the small number of snaps he took i think he clearly has all the raw tools needed and if moulded, taught right and brought along slowly then it will be interesting to see how he turns out.
    But then again Brett can go down at any time at his age and Jackson has shown that he is also not very durable. Would you be more comfortable on a playoff run with Webb behind center? I know I wouldn't be.[/quote]

    Agreed. Sage's price is not high enough to be concerned about it's impact to the team. Webb is nothing but an experiment at this time. Putting him on the PS is the place for him unless Favre doesn't come back.

    Bottom line, TJ can not be counted on to lead this team for any extended period of time. He's a great backup for Favre, but that's all he's proven to date. If Favre does come back and gets himself hurt in the post season, I would put a very short leash on TJ. Webb doesn't give you that option.

    Different team in a different season, I may make a different decision. But this team, this year, I have to agree with Floyd and V-Unit.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sage vs. Webb vs. Tjack
    By 12purplepride28 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
  2. TJack or Sage - who to trade?
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM
  3. Sage to wear #2
    By marstc09 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
  4. Sage Rosenfels Controlling only what he can
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
  5. texanstalk.com on Sage
    By BadlandsVikings in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •