Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ryan Hoag Signed

Hoag Signed - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Jun 2004

The Associated Press reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent wide receiver Ryan Hoag, who played his college ball in Minnesota at Gusatvus Adolphus College. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I guess he was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2003 draft.
    Any of you guys up in Minnesota know much about this kid?
    What kinda skills does he possess?
    Even babies know the difference.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Ryan Hoag Signed

I've never heard of him until just today when I read about that on kfan. Gustavus is pretty much a no-name private school... you don't hear much about those players

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Ryan Hoag Signed

Irrelevant signing, I'd say

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Ryan Hoag Signed

Actually, Hoag was an outstanding player for the level of college football he played. I know the Vikings were hoping to sign him as a free agent last year, but the Raiders drafted him with the final pick of the draft.

Don't discount players because they played for small schools, be they 1-AA, or Division II or Division III. Jerry Rice played for Mississippi Valley State. Walter Payton played for Jackson State. Ken Anderson played for Augustana College. John Randle played for Texas A & I (not A&M, but A&I). Dave Krieg played for Milton College (no longer even a school). Darren Sharper played for William & Mary. Rich Gannon played for Delaware. Matt Birk played for Harvard. The NFL is chock full of examples of players from small schools that have kicked butt in the pros.

That said, Hoag will have his work cut out for him. I'd say Moss, Robinson, Burleson and Campbell are locks at WR, and the Vikings will probably keep two more. That leaves him competing with Keenan Howry, Lane Danielson, Kenny Clark, and several others for those final spots. Tice has been raving about Howry's improvement, and Danielson looks like he could be a special teams stud.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Hoag ran a 4.4 40 in the combine, which was the same speed as Michael Bennett ran. He is 6'2", 200 lbs, so he has a little size to him.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Ryan Hoag Signed

Well maybe the Vikings are looking for a little home grow players with Hoag and Carter.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Ryan Hoag Signed

4.4 40? Jeez....he may be worth keeping on! I wouldn't count him out either just because he's from a small school.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Ryan Hoag Signed

If he is so great why didn't the raiders keep him, their average age at WR is something like 64.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Ryan Hoag Signed

LOL stallion
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Ryan Hoag Signed

here's a piece of advice about small school players/ late round picks.... don't count them out, but don't count on them.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Ryan Hoag Signed

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    If he is so great why didn't the raiders keep him, their average age at WR is something like 64.
    I think he was injured or something.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast