Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Evolution is tough to acknowledge for us old guys.
    LOL, not all of us. I am willing to admit when I'm wrong, and usually I do it before others figure out that I am.

In this case, I'm still of a mind you have to have one. Top defenses all have one. What I've yet to figure out is, was I wrong on Guion being able to be more than just a 3 tech or has the defensive play calling hid the fact that he isn't a 1/0 tech.

Time will tell.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Hmmm, sure seems to be at least one on almost all top ranked D's. Heck, one could almost admit that we have one on our team in Guion.

When he pushed that triple yesterday I almost lost it. Watching him beat doubles has been a big big surprise to say the least.
    I see the opposite. It seems that teams like Atlanta, SF, Houston etc that are coming on strong are all going with faster, more athletic lines even though Houston is a 3-4 team.

Our biggest change will come when either our MLB steps up and becomes a top 10 player or when we draft one that does. The MLB is the real key to the defense working like we want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I see the opposite. It seems that teams like Atlanta, SF, Houston etc that are coming on strong are all going with faster, more athletic lines even though Houston is a 3-4 team.

Our biggest change will come when either our MLB steps up and becomes a top 10 player or when we draft one that does. The MLB is the real key to the defense working like we want it to.
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, you don't think that Jasper has been having a great season. WOW.

As to top D's......Not all of them are 350lbs, but Wilfork, Suh, Hampton, Cody, Mebane, Starks, McCoy, Mebane, and even Guion, all appear to be pretty good at playing in the UT shift role.

2012 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries
    Wait a minute, wait a minute, you don't think that Jasper has been having a great season. WOW.

As to top D's......Not all of them are 350lbs, but Wilfork, Suh, Hampton, Cody, Mebane, Starks, McCoy, Mebane, and even Guion, all appear to be pretty good at playing in the UT shift role.

2012 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN
    Brinkley has been a big improvement over Henderson but he is not a top 10 player yet. Some day? Maybe. But not right now.

Back to the DT,

From what I remember the basis for your whole lack of a DT rant was based on us not having a guy who can play the 0 tech. The guys you listed don't all play the 0 technique and I see the trend being faster DL who play the gaps in the 4-3 rather than straight up on the center as you were asking for.

Have you now changed your stance and broadened the scope of what you are looking for in an interior lineman?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Brinkley has been a big improvement over Henderson but he is not a top 10 player yet. Some day? Maybe. But not right now.
    I kindof like what I'm seeing. Agree not top 10, but he sure is doing pretty dang good. Can you imagine what he will look like with 2 more years under his belt?

Scoggins: There were doubters, but Brinkley never did | StarTribune.com

Back to the DT,

From what I remember the basis for your whole lack of a DT rant was based on us not having a guy who can play the 0 tech. The guys you listed don't all play the 0 technique and I see the trend being faster DL who play the gaps in the 4-3 rather than straight up on the center as you were asking for.

Have you now changed your stance and broadened the scope of what you are looking for in an interior lineman?
    Agree with your trend comment, but my stance hasn't changed. I want a guy who can play the 0 tech. No scope changing. The guys I listed all can do that and they just happen to be on the top 10 teams vs the run.

I think were everyone seems to get confused is when I say "Warpig" they automatically think big fat slow guy. Phat Pat was big but he was far from slow. Same for guys like Al Noga from days gone past and Vince Wolfork and Haloti Ngata from current rosters.

Long story short, give me a cat who can play the 0/1 tech and when I say play it, I actually mean effectively, not just a body like Evans.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I kindof like what I'm seeing. Agree not top 10, but he sure is doing pretty dang good. Can you imagine what he will look like with 2 more years under his belt?

Agree with your trend comment, but my stance hasn't changed. I want a guy who can play the 0 tech. No scope changing. The guys I listed all can do that and they just happen to be on the top 10 teams vs the run.

I think were everyone seems to get confused is when I say "Warpig" they automatically think big fat slow guy. Phat Pat was big but he was far from slow. Same for guys like Al Noga from days gone past and Vince Wolfork and Haloti Ngata from current rosters.

Long story short, give me a cat who can play the 0/1 tech and when I say play it, I actually mean effectively, not just a body like Evans.
    He still has quite a ways to go in pass coverage, but he has been playing much better overall, especially when he's moving forward. Video below shows him making two mistakes on the play (bit inside and then didn't turn around to take away the throwing lane)...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-...-yard-TD-catch

Blog Entries

Could be. I liked what I saw from him 2 years ago and wish he had been healthy last year. Anyway, my point still stands. The CT2 all starts with the MLB and the better they are, the better the defense looks.If JB works out that is just another pick they have at a different position.

They can play it but it is not always their their exclusive position. My guess is if we sat down, cracked a beer and watched game film on all of them they would be going between the 0 and 2 during the course of the game.

I think the confusion lies in you saying 0 tech and warpig in one post, which is very narrow in it's scope( lined up right over the center, images of stout player who attacks the center heads up) and then having you list guys who really don't fit that picture but are more of a 1-2 tech guy who play straight up on occasion. But the facts are one way or the other that the guy you are talking about is much like the shutdown corner that you always ask where we are going to find. They don't grow on trees and there aren't enough of them to fill every spot in the league.

I say give me a cat like JJ Watt and you will see a much more productive player.He might play a lot of DE at Houston in their current defense but he would be one heck of a stellar Tackle in a 4-3. The man is just a beast.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Please don't bring up Pat, I haven't seen a 330 pounder (plus) chase down a RB from behind, in what feels like forever. The man is unreal.

You got me so worked up I tried to youtube and google a video of Pat BOSSING an o-line, or running down the play, or his pick 6. Couldn't even find one video... Depressing.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Hey Marr,
    You no my love of Athletic WRs and Athletic DEs.
    I present Jadeveon Clowney, #1 draft choice of 2014.
    I've watched this young man plan and he is unstopable.

I've watched him destroyed OLs this season.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 10-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Hey Marr,
    You no my love of Athletic WRs and Athletic DEs.
    I present Jadeveon Clowney, #1 draft choice of 2014.
    I've watched this young man plan and he is unstopable.

I've watched him destroyed OLs this season.
    I don't think we wil be low enough to get him in the '14 draft. We are an up and coming team and i feel he will be a top ten pick. I would love to get him because I agree with you he is a man among boys.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast