WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Running Backs Smith or Bennett?

Vote for which running back you think should start

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Running Backs Smith or Bennett?

"kinkel" wrote:
    Vote for which running back you think should start

Just check our record when bennett is the main RB, that will tell it all. When bennett starts and plays well, it doesn't seem to matter. We have a horrible record with him as a starter. Also, check the yards per touch and you will see bennett at the bottom in that category, of all 4 of our backs.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

That doesnt make any sense, all that means is bennett has great games but nobody else steps up, he's doin his part somebody else needs to step up and play.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It probably doesn't matter who starts because based on what I saw last Sunday, both backs will rotate in and out of there...the more important question is: Who will get the majority of touches? The answer is: Whomever gets hot first!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"vikingstw" wrote:
    That doesnt make any sense, all that means is bennett has great games but nobody else steps up, he's doin his part somebody else needs to step up and play.

All In know is, that when onterrio starts, we win a majority of the time, and when bennett starts, we lose almost all of the time. That makes sense to me. Do we wanna win or lose? I choose win, so start onterrio. These stats aren't from a small sample either, they are from bennett's whole career. We just don't win when he starts.

we are not 5-12 with bennett starting and i think 12-3 when Onterrio does or something like that. I think that speaks for itself.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

we are now 5-12** sorry

Re: Running Backs Smith or Bennett?

Looks like VU agrees with me too. Here is their article.

Not all people assign significance to numbers. For example, when Daunte Culpepper went down last year, backup Gus Frerotte didn’t lose. On the other side, when Randy Moss sustained the first injury of his career, the Vikings suffered.

But, Vikings coach Mike Tice is a “by the numbers” type of guy. He enjoys challenging the Ken Jennings-type Ubernerds at STATS Inc. On the next net-chat session, throw this number out, coach. Over the last two years, in games Michael Bennett has not been a factor, the Vikings are 12-3. Pause for a moment and reflect on that number. In games during that same span that Bennett has more than a cursory role in, the Vikings are 5-11.

Some stats can be dismissed as anomalies. This one can’t. If two or more quarterbacks had such a disparity, there wouldn’t be a question about what direction a team would take. Should running back be any different?

The bottom line is that the only Vikings with a lower average-per-carry number are wide receiver Kelly Campbell and fourth-down secret weapon Brian Russell. So Onterrio Smith is in the doghouse. So Mewelde Moore took too long to heal from an ankle injury. The numbers, as the sevants provide them, speak differently.

The NFL likes to use the phrase “touches” when it pertains to running backs – the combination of rushing attempts and receptions. In a formula much less complicated than E=mc2, the touch numbers speak for themselves. Moore has 92 touches for 617 yards – a 6.7-yard per touch average. Smith has 151 touches for 890 yards – a 5.9-yard average. Bennett has 80 touches for 440 yards – a 5.5-yard average.

Do the math for yourself. Whether the benchmark is record or production, success hasn’t been found with Bennett as the backfield bell cow. In a game dissected by numbers, maybe the Vikings hopes shouldn’t be pinned on No. 23.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

To late to argue this, bennetts starting.

I think Onterrio is more of a fighter and he does have more energy and spark than Bennett does. That type of attitude is what needs to be on the field, and I think it pumps everyone up. He really deserves to be our starter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast