Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Backs

Purple Herring is offline Training Camp

Running Backs

This has been bugging me for a while, so I ought to get it off my chest.

I was somewhat surprised over the off-season at the amount of turn over at the running back position. At the end of last season we had Bennett, Moore and Fason on the roster, all of whom I felt could do a job for us.

Bennett's now at the Chiefs via New Orleans, Moore as i understand it is number FOUR on teh depth chart and a new running back has been brought in who - in my mind - is unporoven as a starter as he's been a backup to date.

Am I missing the logic in this?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Running Backs

"Purple" wrote:

I was somewhat surprised over the off-season at the amount of turn over at the running back position. At the end of last season we had Bennett, Moore and Fason on the roster, all of whom I felt could do a job for us.

Bennett's now at the Chiefs via New Orleans, Moore as i understand it is number FOUR on teh depth chart and a new running back has been brought in who - in my mind - is unporoven as a starter as he's been a backup to date.

I think that all these guys are really unproven as a starter and its anybodys job for the taking.
    I think that the preseason fumblitis was just a preseason thing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

[size=10pt]Moore looks ready to play, says durability not an issue[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/660478.html

The forgotten man of the Vikings' backfield was back on the practice field Wednesday, hoping his latest injury will not condemn him to another season of questions about his durability.
    After missing nearly four weeks of practice because of a sprained knee, Mewelde Moore should be available to play in Monday's game at Washington. The Vikings have listed him as questionable on their injury report, but their depth chart depicts him as the second-team tailback behind starter Chester Taylor.

"I enjoy football," Moore said. "Not being able to play and do the things you want to do on the field, that's something you definitely take to heart. I did everything I possibly could do to get to this point."

Moore was the Vikings' leading rusher in 2005 with 662 yards, but former coach Mike Tice questioned Moore's willingness to play with injuries. In his first offseason with new coach Brad Childress, Moore was limited because of wrist surgery, and the knee injury forced him out of the final three preseason games.

But Moore pointed out Wednesday that he appeared in all 16 games last season and suggested his reputation has been exaggerated.

"That's old hat," Moore said. "In the past, those things were a little exploited to where they shouldn't have gone to those extremes. I'm very happy with our new staff and our new head coach and how things are handled.

"If you look at the stat sheet of the previous year, you've got me up there 16 games. Last time I checked, there are 16 games in the regular season. We didn't go to the postseason, so I played in all the games. So as far as things may have been perceived, those things don't concern me because I know what I'm capable of doing."

Childress said this week he hoped to use Moore at least as a punt returner against the Redskins. Moore also could return kickoffs, but Childress said a final decision likely won't be made until this weekend.

Smoot ready

Like Moore, cornerback Fred Smoot (bruised ribs) was listed as questionable on the injury report. But when asked if there was any doubt if he would play against his former team, Smoot said: "I wouldn't be out here practicing if I wasn't playing."

Smoot was Washington's second-round draft pick in 2001, intercepting 16 passes in four seasons there. He said he left the Redskins on relatively good terms, but "that doesn't mean I want to come back and have it be a fairy tale."It's still intense for me," he said. "After playing there for four years, you want to leave them with a bad taste in their mouth. ... Anytime you go back to your old stomping grounds, you want to leave an impression on what they're missing out on."

Etc.

•According to a Team Marketing Report issued Wednesday, the game-day prices at the Metrodome are the seventh-highest among NFL stadiums. That figure, called the Fan Cost Index, is the sum of: Four average-price tickets, four small soft drinks, two small beers, four hot dogs, two programs, parking and two adult-size caps. For the Vikings, that figure is $379.27 in 2006.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [size=10pt]Moore looks ready to play, says durability not an issue[/size]
    Posted on Thu, Sep. 07, 2006

[size=13pt]Moore, Smoot listed as questionable[/size]

BY DAVE CAMPBELL
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Mewelde Moore is not a doctor or a trainer, so don't waste time asking him how his knee feels. The best source of insight Wednesday was the league's official injury report, which had Minnesota's oft-injured running back categorized as questionable for Monday's season opener at Washington -- meaning there is a 50 percent chance of him playing.

"I don't answer medical questions," Moore said, looking up from his seat in front of his cubicle in the renovated locker room at Winter Park.

Moore participated in a no-pads practice with the rest of his teammates, so he should be on track to suit up against the Redskins. But coach Brad Childress wasn't available to the media, and there is plenty of time left before the Vikings have to decide whether to use Moore, who hurt his knee in the first exhibition game against Oakland and didn't play again in August.

However, in the depth chart provided by the team this week, Moore is ahead of Ciatrick Fason as the primary backup to Chester Taylor. He's also listed as the top punt returner, ahead of Travis Taylor and Darren Sharper at a special-teams spot that has been unsettled.

"I'm just doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't make decisions on those types of things. I just go out and play football," Moore said. "I love playing football, man. I enjoy playing football and getting out there and doing whatever I possibly can do to win."

The only other player who showed up on the injury report was cornerback Fred Smoot, who is questionable with bruised ribs he suffered in the third preseason game against Baltimore. Smoot practiced and scoffed at a question about whether he would be ready for the Redskins, his old team.

"I wouldn't be out here practicing if I wasn't going to play," Smoot said.

TONY'S TAKE

Fullback Tony Richardson, the second-oldest player on Minnesota's team behind quarterback Brad Johnson, expressed no concern about an unimpressive preseason by the Vikings on the ground. As a team, they averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Taylor carried the most, 37 times, for a measly 95 yards.

Richardson, who mostly blocked on some of the best rushing attacks in NFL history during the latter part of his 11-year tenure with Kansas City, argued that playing in a half or less of an exhibition game doesn't allow the line and backs to find a proper rhythm.

"I know from the fans' standpoint, they want the first carry to go 60 yards and everybody's jumping and screaming, but that's not running the football," Richardson said. "Running the football is digging in the dirt, wearing the defense down and then you get your big runs. I think we have a great offensive line. I think Chester's going to have a great year this year. We've just got to keep working hard."

Washington will probably be without cornerback Shawn Springs, who is listed as doubtful as he recovers from surgery on his abdomen. The Redskins ranked 13th in the league in yards rushing allowed last year.

RANDALL IN THE RING

Randall McDaniel, an eight-time All-Pro selection at guard during his 12 seasons with the Vikings, will be added to the team's Ring of Honor during a ceremony at halftime of the Dec. 17 game. After playing two years for Tampa Bay, McDaniel retired in 2001.

He played in 222 career games, making 220 starts -- including 202 in a row. McDaniel helped block for five 1,000-yard rushers and four 3,000-yard passers during his career. He's expected to be a first-ballot Hall of Fame choice when eligible next year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Moore hasn't prooven anything more then he is brittle boned and injury prone. West Coast Offense, you need a guy that can block, and that can catch passes out of the backfield. Running between the tackles is a bonus, but not a neccessity.

Prophet Guest

"Purple" wrote:

I'm sure you're missing some of the logic, but MeMo is listed as #2 on the depth chart...if that makes you rest easier.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Purple" wrote:

Bennett is with the Chiefs and has been injured all pre-season, just as he was injured the VAST majority of his time with the Vikes.
    That guy could get injured by changing the channel to Oprah.

Mewelde Moore is ALSO injured all the time and has dropped on the Vikings depth chart simply because he can't stay on the field.

Ciatrick Fason was #3 last year and is now #2.
    That's a logical progression for a rookie.

And the free-agent we signed to be #1, Chester Taylor, is just that.

I don't get why you're getting worked up about this!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

Fragile MeMo is actually #2 on the depth chart now.
    But, I agree, I don't know why he's worked up.

I wouldn't be surprised if MeMo is off the depth chart by midseason and Mathis is in the lineup.

KFFL
    Vikings | Moore listed as No. 2 running back
    Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:30:19 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Mewelde Moore is listed as the No. 2 running back behind RB Chester Taylor. RB Ciatrick Fason is listed as the No. 3 running back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

All we need is one guy to step up and take the reins...the O-Line WILL open up the holes!!!

Personally, I hope that it is Fason!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    All we need is one guy to step up and take the reins...the O-Line WILL open up the holes!!!

Personally, I hope that it is Fason!
    Why Fason?
    I thought he was a big dud last year when he was brought in to be the goal-line crasher.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast