Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    howln4u is offline Rookie

Running Back Situation

We have a load or RB on our team currently. My concern is contracts. We have Moss and Culp locked for life.

Correct me if I am wrong, didnt we sign O Smith to a 2 year deal and isnt Bennett's contract done at the end of this year?

Also dont we need to sign Hovan?

I know we have the money but when and who do you work on first?

I think figure out who the RB of the future is going to be and lock him in during the year and maybe work a trade with the other one. I love Bennetts ability but he has missed a lot of games due to injury. He did come back and show he was still there just concerned about his future health.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

Running Back Situation

I think we keep all the great running backs because you can never have too many. If Smith is injured we have bennett if bennett we have smith, if smith and bennett we have moore, and if all 3 of them get injured we still have Moe who proved last year he can carry the load if needed. Why screw that up?
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

howln4u is offline Rookie

Running Back Situation

Based on the numbers last year, they could all ask for more money then we will pay 3 RB. I agree keep as many as we can. At least 2 of them anyway. Maybe the rookie, Moe and one of the others.

Running Back Situation

From what Onterrio showed us in his two starts and other sporadic action is that he's probably a better all-around running back. He's not as good a blocker or power runner as Moe, but he's better than Bennett at those things (Anybody remember the play in the KC game where Bennett jumped full weight into their safety and just bounced off?). They're probably about equal as receivers. But Bennett has a BIG advantage over Smith: speed and lots of it. When he gets going, nobody can catch him. He's kind of like Robert Smith in that way.

Since Bennett and Onterrio are so different, I think it's a good idea to keep them both and use them as change ups for one another. It's a good way to keep them both fresh. If not, I would only deal one of them for a 1st round pick or a real high 2nd rounder because they can both be feature backs in this league. So yes, resign them both.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Running Back Situation

I think the key is when are their contracts up, and what kind of rights do we have to them? Look at Ogunleye, he is a Restricted Free Agent, all the Dolphins had to do was make him some particular kind of qualifying offer (less than 2 mill a year, in his case), and he either plays for that or another team signs him during the free agency period and the Dolphins would get a #1 and #3 rd draft choices as compensation. I think Ogunleye was a 4th (or lower) round draft pick, I suspect O. Smith will be in the same boat next season as Ogunleye was this year. I'd look for the Vikings to do the same kind of thing to Smith as has happened to Ogunleye.

We have this entire season to make a better assessment on the talents and long term futures of Bennett and Smith. I'll wait until I see how both perform this year (including injuries, attitudes, etc.) before guessing at whom we should re-sign/trade/cut loose.

Moe Williams is getting long in the tooth as NFL RBs go. Moore will be brought along slowly to replace Moe as a 3rd down back. As Moe has never really been a feature RB in the NFL, he won't command much money at his age, and the Vikings can probably afford to keep him at a reasonable cost for as long as he is earning what he is worth.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Semperfi Vike is offline Rookie

Running Back Situation

I say keep all of them, Bennett and Smith make a great one two punch, Like R. Smith and Hoard, and with Moore comming to return kicks and learn from on of the best 3rd down backs in the league. Why break that nucleus up? We could be dangerous for years to come. In regards to Hovan and Bennetts contracts we will pay them well. If Hovan loses a step, which he won't especially with Udeze their to pull double teams away. We have the team now to make an impact.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Running Back Situation

Bennett is awesome. He can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. Thats what our offense is all about. Smith doesn't have that ability.

Everyone is go hyped about how well Smith did against KC. Look at KC. C'mon! They suck! Their run defense is horrible! He did do well against the Bears who d have a good defense, but their defensive line sure left a lot to be desired. I don't think we can say this guy is better than our Pro-Bowler based on those two games.

If we had to choose between bennet and smith. I'll go with Bennett in a second. It doesn't matter though, because we don't have to worry about that. We have plenty of money to keep Smith, Bennett, and Moe around for a while.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Running Back Situation

Bennett. Smith IS unproven, but Bennett is proven. Just keep him healthy, adn he'll be awesome!

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

drtybrdy9 is offline Rookie

Running Back Situation

how is bennett proven? He had one season where he had good yardage and very few tds and then he got injured i don't know how proven he is. Keep both Bennett and Smith. let moe walk when his contract is up, he is getting up there in age anyways.

Running Back Situation

Bennett didn't have many touchdowns because the only way he could score was to run 60 yards, Moe took the goal line carries. Bennett was still affective this year when he got the ball, 5 yards a pop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast