Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Re: Running the 3-4 defense...

It is working pretty darn well in New York, they keep having very good players who just don't fit the system *cough* Vilma *cough* and had one heck of a year last year. The defense is built to win now, and hopefully remain dominant for another 5ish years. Why start the learning curve over and have to bring in new personnel/have old players that are good but just do not fit.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "skum" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Players who are not suited for 3-4.

CBs
    Ends
    Kevin Williams
    OLBs
    Sharper

Virtually Pat williams as NT, EJ and Greenway in the middle, Williams at FS and the rest of our team would need to be revamped.
    Exactly jj.

No way K.W. can play DE.
    A DE in a 3-4 is in the inside of the O-tackle, i dont think he would have a problem, i actually think he would get more sacks
    He came into the draft as a defensive end and many thought that he could play the 3-4 DE very well.. For a big guy he has outstanding passrushing moves, i dont think this would be a problem at all..
    We already played it with Ted Cortell with KW at end. We were more suited to it then than we are now now. I don't think KW is very fond of it either.
    y dont u think KW was fond of it? he had 22 sacks his first two seasons... and just 12 sacks his last three seasons.... i think he would love it

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "skum" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:

CBs
    Ends
    Kevin Williams
    OLBs
    Sharper

Virtually Pat williams as NT, EJ and Greenway in the middle, Williams at FS and the rest of our team would need to be revamped.
    Exactly jj.

No way K.W. can play DE.
    A DE in a 3-4 is in the inside of the O-tackle, i dont think he would have a problem, i actually think he would get more sacks
    He came into the draft as a defensive end and many thought that he could play the 3-4 DE very well.. For a big guy he has outstanding passrushing moves, i dont think this would be a problem at all..
    We already played it with Ted Cottrell with KW at end. We were more suited to it then than we are now now. I don't think KW is very fond of it either.
    http://www.wnbc.com/sports/5280521/detail.html

Using a four-man front allows the Vikings to play All-Pro Kevin Williams inside at tackle, an area where his power and quickness allow him to be far more destructive
    This is an article from right after we switched back to 4-3. DEs in 3-4 never put up great numbers cause they really just eat up Oline for LBs to roam.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not a big fan of the 3-4.

IMO you might as well just get a speed rushing defensive end, because it seems to me all that the OLB does in the 3-4 scheme is rush the passer.

See: Shawne Merriman, Joey Porter, Damarcus Ware, Mike Vrabel, Adalius Thomas when he was with the Ravens, and probably a few other guys.

These guys(Merriman and Porter specifically) make very few tackles for a LB and are poor in coverage.

With a pass rush, we'll never even think about the 3-4.

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    It is working pretty darn well in New York, they keep having very good players who just don't fit the system *cough* Vilma *cough* and had one heck of a year last year. The defense is built to win now, and hopefully remain dominant for another 5ish years. Why start the learning curve over and have to bring in new personnel/have old players that are good but just do not fit.
    who did the jets have at there noseguard? I bet now that traded for jenkins there MLB's will have good years, but do you remember when Ray lewis lost
    Tony Siragusa he didnt have that good of a year... we would have pat williams.... i think are linebackers would be fine

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of the 3-4... I say, if it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    And what part of our defense is so great?
    is it because we are so great in pass coverage?? how about pressure on the qb?
    How about the part where they only allowed 19.4 points per game, which is the only statistic that really matters? I know that number isn't that great, but consider how often the Vikings offense handed the opposing offense a short field. In my mind, if your defense allows less than 20 points per game, and you have a decent offense, you're going to do pretty well.

I think we will have a decent offense next year, and our defense is one serviceable LDE from being as good or better than last year.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "skum" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=jessejames09 link=topic=43362.msg742891#msg742891 date=1205955184]

CBs
    Ends
    Kevin Williams
    OLBs
    Sharper

Exactly jj.

No way K.W. can play DE.
    We already played it with Ted Cottrell with KW at end. We were more suited to it then than we are now now. I don't think KW is very fond of it either.

Using a four-man front allows the Vikings to play All-Pro Kevin Williams inside at tackle, an area where his power and quickness allow him to be far more destructive
    This is an article from right after we switched back to 4-3. DEs in 3-4 never put up great numbers cause they really just eat up Oline for LBs to roam.
    [/quote]

yeah but y has his sack totals gone down so much he had 22 his first two years and just 12 over the last three

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I don't like the 3-4.
    I never have.
    And I ESPECIALLY don't like it for this team.

We'd actually be LOSING a lot of our strength in the middle of the line with only two tackles there instead of one.
    Additionally, we'd still have to send one or more of our linebackers at the quarterback.
    And who would be our typical rush linebacker?
    Ben Leber?
    Do you seriously think sending three linemen and one linebacker instead of four linemen is going to help our pass rush?

Kevin Williams wouldn't solve our problems at DE by moving there.
    He's never played in a 3-4 scheme before, and he'd be just as much of a risk as anyone we could bring in.

Additionally (as has been mentioned before), we'd have to learn a different scheme.
    We run a Cover 2, which just doesn't work out of a 3-4.
    So we'd have to switch to more of a New York Jets / New England Patriots type system.
    This would create problems, as we've spent the past few years building and coaching our team to play a Cover 2 scheme.
    The players would have to not only learn a new scheme - they'd have to play a scheme they're not suited for.

So basically, the 3-4 would solve none of our problems while creating brand-new ones.
    I don't see the appeal.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of the 3-4... I say, if it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    my thoughts exactly

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "skum" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=43362.msg742897#msg742897 date=1205955494]
    [quote author=jessejames09 link=topic=43362.msg742891#msg742891 date=1205955184]

CBs
    Ends
    Kevin Williams
    OLBs
    Sharper

Exactly jj.

No way K.W. can play DE.

[/quote]

yeah but y has his sack totals gone down so much he had 22 his first two years and just 12 over the last three
    [/quote]

...Maybe you should call a phone physic. Why is grass green? And why aren't there more blue cars?

I'd say he's still a damn good DT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast