Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Run blocking seems to be a concern

Hi everyone

I'm excited as much as the rest of you, to get this show on the road, but I'm very concerned about our run blocking. The vikings have looked absolutely miserable trying to run the ball. I hope this is due to "vanilla" blocking schemes rather then our level of talent. I'm not trying to be negative here, but if we can't run worth a damn I don't see the superbowl in our future this year.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Run blocking seems to be a concern

I'm not to worried. Look what we did in the first preseason game against KC. It is just preseason. I think we willl get it all worked out, or atleast I hope we do by the season opener.

Perhaps, but I still can't get the nagging thought out of my head that blocking is basic and it should be tight by now. I mean part of making a ghood line is ability to "gel" as a unit. I haven't seen that consistently yet. I get scared by the number of times Coreyu Withrow gets beat man to man. Its scary!

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Yeah I know what mean. Some of those plays where pretty bad. I guess all we can do is hope for the best. It might take a few games to get it down. Thank god we have Jimmy K. back this year though. He will help a lot.

NodakAttack is offline Training Camp

I think we'll get there, it's just a matter of time. We came together pretty well last year when Withrow played. Also, we didn't have Rosy or JimmyK, the NodakAttack.... They just need some time to gel.... i'm mostly worried about bennett finding the holes if we make them, that guy is plain blind sometimes, he's simply too fast and is always trying to break the long one instead of taking the 5 or 6 that are through the hole... Also, I'm really liking the rook M.Johnson so far... granted he's making some rookie mistakes, but he is nimble on his feet and can really take some dudes down... we just need to be patient.
    Ahh PURPLE is the color of all my Dreams!! GO VIKES!! Bring us a Lombardi!!

I agree Jimmy K is awesome. I'm also happy Mike Rosenthal is back as well.

Mike

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

im kind of concered with our running game, especially if bennett starts

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

I think running up the middle is going to suck, alot. but running sweeps, and off-tackles etc should do fairly well.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i dont know whats wrong with our running game. i dont know how our team got so bad in running, a few years ago we were the tops in the league. let me see now, this years difference from then. we have no birk, no dixon, rosenthal wasnt there 3 years ago but he was there the year before and we did pretty good. so i dont know what the problem could be, do dixon and birk account for our lack of good running?

I think Birk does a lot, but I think a lot more of it is how well the line plays together as a unit, replacing 1 member or even more with 2 changes how the unit works and it wilol take for each of them to feel comfortable! Maybe while this happens we will see a lot more short passing.

Mike