Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ross Homan, OLB

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Ross Homan, OLB

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095684

NFL.com has him listed at 240 already...wonder if he missed a dump
    Thanks. I needed a laugh. Just spent the last 2 hours matching who was on the board vs who we drafted (or didn't).

Leaves me in a glum mood when I see what we didn't do this draft but could have.

Again, thanks for cheering me up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I like this pick as I called for an outside linebacker to eventually replace Ben Leber as he might be leaving soon. Only thing is that I wanted to go this path earlier because there was good talents around the last day of the draft.

Fortunately, after further review by reading some of the scouts reports tells me that this might have been a great steal. Most experts had him projected to go as early as the third or fourth round. He is ranked by most experts as the 11th or 10th best outside linebacker overall in the draft and 5th best among 4-3 outside linebackers. Not a bad value at the end of round 6.

He was considered one of the top linebackers in the Big Ten and played on an Ohio team that has a proud tradition of creating great linebackers to the NFL (e.g. James Laurinaitis, A.J. Hawk). In fact, many people in the scouting community believes Homan is a better NFL prospect than former Buckeye star James Laurinaitis.

People seems to have three consensus knocks on Homan: Durability, size and [strike]athleticism[/strike]. (Read further down for why I crossed out athleticism)

Size - He's slightly above 6 feet and weights almost 240 pounds. It's not ideal height for a linebacker, but many NFL players has proved that it's possible. His size obviously gives him a disadvantage against the run, but he still managed to rack up tackles at Ohio State. Has packed on a lot of weight the past year.

Durability - He has had some injuries throughout his college career, but still managed to have a very productive career at Ohio. It's difficult to predict whether a player will stay healthy or not so why not take a chance on him?

Athleticism - Apart from the other two points of weakness, this is an incorrect assessment of Homan as he has plenty of speed and power to compete at the next level. As a matter of fact, Homan might have been the most impressive linebacker at the NFL Combine. Hosman had the most bench presses out of all outside linebackers with an eye-popping 32 reps. Only 3 reps from the record. Hosman also had an impressive 35 inch vertical leap and ran a 4,6 in the 40 yard dash. His most impressive performance was arguably the 10-yard split as the most important speed for a linebacker is the burst. Homan had the fastest time among all outside linebackers in the 10-yard split at the NFL Combine.

Hosman - The Perfect Fit For The Vikings

What I like about Ross Homan is that he seems to be the perfect fit for our defensive scheme at the outside linebacker position. He was not asked to blitz a lot and I'm not sure that he has the ability to be a consistent pass rusher. The good thing is that he will not be asked to do that much as a Viking anyway.

He shows quick feet and flashes good coverage ability in both zone and man which is important in our Tampa-2 scheme. He has good linebacker speed and is a hard-worker and a leader on the field. His plays aggressive with a high motor and has natural football instincts and high IQ.

I watched some various tape on him and he simply looks like a football player. The tape from the NFL Combine also shows very quick and nimble feet which can come in handy against all the receiving tight ends in today's NFL.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1095717
    I like this pick as I called for an outside linebacker to eventually replace Ben Leber as he might be leaving soon. Only thing is that I wanted to go this path earlier because there was good talents around the last day of the draft.

Fortunately, after further review by reading some of the scouts reports tells me that this might have been a great steal. Most experts had him projected to go as early as the third or fourth round. He is ranked by most experts as the 11th or 10th best outside linebacker overall in the draft and 5th best among 4-3 outside linebackers. Not a bad value at the end of round 6.

He was considered one of the top linebackers in the Big Ten and played on an Ohio team that has a proud tradition of creating great linebackers to the NFL (e.g. James Laurinaitis, A.J. Hawk). In fact, many people in the scouting community believes Homan is a better NFL prospect than former Buckeye star James Laurinaitis.

People seems to have three consensus knocks on Homan: Durability, size and [strike]athleticism[/strike]. (Read further down for why I crossed out athleticism)

Size - He's slightly above 6 feet and weights almost 240 pounds. It's not ideal height for a linebacker, but many NFL players has proved that it's possible. His size obviously gives him a disadvantage against the run, but he still managed to rack up tackles at Ohio State. Has packed on a lot of weight the past year.

Durability - He has had some injuries throughout his college career, but still managed to have a very productive career at Ohio. It's difficult to predict whether a player will stay healthy or not so why not take a chance on him?

Athleticism - Apart from the other two points of weakness, this is an incorrect assessment of Homan as he has plenty of speed and power to compete at the next level. As a matter of fact, Homan might have been the most impressive linebacker at the NFL Combine. Hosman had the most bench presses out of all outside linebackers with an eye-popping 32 reps. Only 3 reps from the record. Hosman also had an impressive 35 inch vertical leap and ran a 4,6 in the 40 yard dash. His most impressive performance was arguably the 10-yard split as the most important speed for a linebacker is the burst. Homan had the fastest time among all outside linebackers in the 10-yard split at the NFL Combine.

Hosman - The Perfect Fit For The Vikings

What I like about Ross Homan is that he seems to be the perfect fit for our defensive scheme at the outside linebacker position. He was not asked to blitz a lot and I'm not sure that he has the ability to be a consistent pass rusher. The good thing is that he will not be asked to do that much as a Viking anyway.

He shows quick feet and flashes good coverage ability in both zone and man which is important in our Tampa-2 scheme. He has good linebacker speed and is a hard-worker and a leader on the field. His plays aggressive with a high motor and has natural football instincts and high IQ.

I watched some various tape on him and he simply looks like a football player. The tape from the NFL Combine also shows very quick and nimble feet which can come in handy against all the receiving tight ends in today's NFL.
    Good stuff my friend. I've since relented on the "Light Assed" comment. Actually like the kid based on further review (SI, Fox, Profootballweekly, etc)

Round 6, Pick 35 (200) (Compensatory Selection) Ross Homan LB 6'1" 240
    "Biography: ""Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his junior season. Senior totals included 72/2/1 when he intercepted one pass and broke up four more. Led the team in tackles as a junior with 108/5/2, also intercepting five passes and breaking up five more.""

Positives: ""Instinctive, hard-working linebacker constantly around the action. Breaks down well, quickly changes direction, and rarely gets knocked off his feet. Gets depth on pass drops, shows ability in coverage, and remains disciplined with assignments. Plays smart, heads-up football, immediately diagnosing the action. Makes plays sideline to sideline, quickly fills gaps up the field, and effectively uses his hands to protect himself.""

Negatives: Not a reliable tackler. Easily blocked at the point of attack and struggles getting through the trash.

Analysis: Homan is a consistent defender who understands the position and does the little things well. He lacks great physical skills yet does enough to be a productive backup in a variety of defensive alignments at the next level.

Projection: 4th"

Pick Analysis: Homan is very instinctinve and made all of the calls for the Buckeyes' defense last year. He's an intelligent player who could contribute right away.

Homan has the skill set to become an adequate sub-package reserve and potential starter down the road as a WLB in the Vikings' 4-3 scheme.

Prospect Rank: 169

Homan should compete for a backup job at MLB for the Vikings.

"Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: A true value selection, Homan is a smart, productive, experienced prospect from a big school, not unlike starters Chad Greenway and E.J. Henderson. Homan is undersized and concerns about his durability and lack of elite speed likely caused him to slip further than his tape suggests he should.
    Probably gonna make the team as a ST'r that can come in and backup Chad but I don't see him as a replacement for Ben. I think D'Aundre Reed, although he is listed as a DL will come in and compete for the Sam with Jasper if they don't resign Ben or Erin for that spot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12