Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Homan, OLB

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ross Homan, OLB

Read & React: Excellent nose for the ball, which is his best asset. Good feel for creases inside to stop the run and knows the correct angles to take to prevent big plays. Reacts well against misdirection plays, often beating pulling blockers to the spot. Might take a false step against play-action but gets back into coverage quickly.

Run defense: Instinctual run defender who seems to always find his way to the ball. Feels his way through traffic inside to make tackles, avoiding pulling guards and catching backs from behind. Takes good angles to the ball and won't overpursue. Can explode from athletic position to stop running backs in the hole or from going over the top in short yardage. Protects himself from cut blocks, feeling them coming or defeating them with his hands. Lacks great size to deal with linemen or H-back blocks when they reach him, but generally holds his ground and can disengage.

Pass defense: Very active pass defender. Quarterbacks must account for him on any throw between the hashes. Takes on slot receivers at times and has fair change-of-direction skills to mirror. However, he will get beat in this situation against NFL receivers. Gets good depth in his pass drop. Knows where the first-down marker is and gets underneath deep crossing routes. Has some man coverage skills, lining up in the slot and man-up against tight ends. Understands zone routes and will light up receivers over the middle. Looks for the passing lane by reading the quarterback. Shows good hands for the interception, though he has had some drops. Will hustle to the ball in zone coverage to prevent yards after the catch.

Tackling: Solid tackler who consistently wraps up but is not particularly explosive. Stays low and square to stop ballcarriers when meeting them in the hole. Breaks down in space and has the quickness and change-of-direction ability to prevent backs from getting the corner. Shows the speed and instincts to catch backs before they build a head of steam. Good chase and hustle to get to the opposite sideline. Gets angles to prevent big plays crossing the field. Is consistently the second or third man into the pile. Many tackles come several yards downfield as linemen or tight ends push him back. Lacks size to get off blocks at the next level and his arm tackles will not slow NFL running backs. Should have value as an assignment-sure contributor on special teams coverage units because of his football intelligence and secure tackling.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Fair first step coming off the edge or through the middle as a blitzer. Flexible enough to turn the corner when attacking the passer or trying to grab running backs from behind. Adequate hands to beat fullback blocks but could improve in this area to prevent slowing down his rush. Needs to develop counter pass-rush moves.

Intangibles: Tough player who plays hurt; tried to get through turf toe in 2007 but had to shut it down and redshirt. Suffered a concussion against Illinois in 2009 but did not miss any time. Missed just two games after spraining the arch of his right foot. Relished taking over leadership role when senior linebackers graduated before 2009 season. Academic All-Big Ten. Cousin of former Ohio State players Bobby and Tom Hoying.
    CDS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Ross Homan, OLB

I liked this pick he could been a future fit for Leber's spot if he can make the move up to the next level

Strengths
    Tough football player with outstanding leadership qualities. Will play through injuries and is a team-first guy. Smart player with outstanding instincts and awareness. Excellent see-to-do and typically stays at home without getting fooled by play action or misdirection. Is generally able to avoid blocks and keep his legs clean to attack the ball-carrier. Solid wrap tackler. Decent athlete who pursues well. Solid depth on his drops in pass coverage and is a ballhawk when he can keep an eye on the QB.
    Weaknesses
    Undersized player who is marginally athletic. Does not shed blocks well and can be bullied by linemen, tight ends, and backs. Needs room to run. Plays with little care for his well-being and, as a result, gets dinged up often.
    Projection
    Smart player who can contribute on special teams and challege for a roster spot as a reserve LB. Looks like a late-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
    CDS

YUP, Another stellar pick. Light assed OLB that won't beat out anyone on the roster for the Sam spot. Wait, there is no one on the roster playing the SAM.

WTF is Spielman thinking.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

From what I've read on this guy, he's not much good against the run, not strong enough to hold up on the strong side and useless between the tackles.

Purely a blitzer or cover guy.

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095630
    I liked this pick he could been a future fit for Leber's spot if he can make the move up to the next level
    He's a tweener. The sam needs to have some ass. 235 lbs isn't alot of ass my friend.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Sounds good, to be honest, ive never heard of him.. But it seems like a player you should no.. I dont know why i missed him..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095635
    He's a tweener. The sam needs to have some ass. 235 lbs isn't alot of ass my friend.
    He 9 lbs lighter than Leber, if he does have a motor its not much work for a young guy to put on some weight but if he gets any slower he'll have nothing. But a smart character guy is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095641
    He 9 lbs lighter than Leber, if he does have a motor its not much work for a young guy to put on some weight but if he gets any slower he'll have nothing. But a smart character guy is a good start.
    Good point about the 9 lbs, but I always worry about adding weight at this level and what will his strenght do when he adds it? Will he be able to do it by camp/the season and still carry it?

By now he's probably had to do that 3 times already. Starts to wear them down IMHO.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095672
    Good point about the 9 lbs, but I always worry about adding weight at this level.

By now he's probably had to do that 3 times already. Starts to wear them down IMHO.
    Everyone adds weight at this point. High school kids going up to College need to bulk up. College kids going up to the pros need to bulk up.

It happens very often.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095674
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095672
    Good point about the 9 lbs, but I always worry about adding weight at this level.

Everyone adds weight at this point. High school kids going up to College need to bulk up. College kids going up to the pros need to bulk up.

It happens very often.
    NFL.com has him listed at 240 already...wonder if he missed a dump

But for a 6th round pick he was the best graded (however does NFL.com's grades) cover LB that fit a zone scheme, but not a lot of late picks make the cut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast