Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rooney rule

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Racism is alive and well...it exists in EVERY community, and in EVERY culture.

That said, the Rooney rule is foolish.

To give a Minority candidate an interview only because you HAVE to is....as others have said...insulting.

In today's multi-million dollar NFL, teams and owners are looking for ways to maximize the value of their brand. Color plays little part in a persons ability to coach. Too many successful Black coaches have come along for even the most die-hard racist to ignore.

In short, if you choose only to interview people for their color, you are an idiot. One who will limit your franchises ability to win.

So, yes, it's time for this rule to go away. Sadly, it won't. Too many people will count the number of black versus white PLAYERS and say that coaches aren't representative of what's on the field. And they'll be right...but wrong at the same time. Being a great player does NOT make you a great coach...ask Bart Starr. In fact, the list of great players AND great coaches is very short.

But, for as long as the muck-rakers can find some pretend issue to cry about, they will. The Rooney rule will have a very long life.

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    As I have said before, the right way to approach this if they want more coaches of different ethnicity would be to have a program in the league where up and coming talent could attend in the off season to build the skills they need to excel at the jobs they want to be promoted to. Some of the retired coaches and execs could be part of the staff and they could work with the candidates of all colors to improve their skills and help them step up to the next level. That would do more for improving the odds of a certain coach getting hired than any ethnicity mandate ever would.

If a candidate went through the program and excelled and was not white, if a team passed on them because the owner was racist, the best way to correct the situation is for that candidate to be hired by another franchise and out coach the racist owners team for the next decade.

VikingsFan1234 is offline Starter
    Unfortanely, if they take the Rooney Rule out, people will be complaining that there is no enough blacks hired as head coaches in the NFL

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Why? Name one team that ever changed their mind on a candidate because they were forced to talk to a black coach that led to them being hired. As I said above, they need to increase the quality of the candidates, not the quantity of the interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Why? Name one team that ever changed their mind on a candidate because they were forced to talk to a black coach that led to them being hired. As I said above, they need to increase the quality of the candidates, not the quantity of the interviews.
    None but have an asian been hired as a head coach? I could not think of one, that is racist isn't it?

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator
    I didn't even know this rule existed. What a load of shit.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I fear some of you guys don't get it.
    The Rooney rule isn't the problem. It's the fact that teams have created a work around to the rule that you guys object to. That should tell you there is indeed a problem with coaches. There are plenty of qualified black coaches that deserve a shot in the NFL. The issue lies in what people perceive a coach to look, act and behave like. I rather be a black guy in an interview I know i have no chance to get than having a glass ceiling stopping me from reaching the job of my choice. Tomlin was not going to be hired by the Steelers and he blew them away. I'm not saying that the Steelers weren't considering hiring him but he was on their radar because he was a good OC and helped them be able to interview other candidates. Again it's not racism, it's just prejudicial (giving preference) treatment. The reason White running backs are ignored or turned into LBs. White DBs are turned into LBs, Black QBs are compared to Vick, McNabb etc. We all have bias.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 01-05-2014 at 05:32 PM.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingsFan1234 View Post
    None but have an asian been hired as a head coach? I could not think of one, that is racist isn't it?

Probably because you can count on one hand the number of non-pacific asians in the entire league. There are no pure asian players, everyone is some sort of mix (Hines Ward being half-Korean is about as asian as NFL players get).

Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc. simply don't play alot of football. It's not stereotyping, it's the truth. If I may generalize for a minute, black people have the stereotype of being naturally bigger, stronger and more athletic than many other races. That's a perfect fit for football. That's why so many black kids play football. HOwever, just like any other race, there's too many kids too stupid to coach (See Dez Bryant), or simply don't want to coach. There might be a few old-school owners who still prefer a white coach for no reason other than the fact that he's white, but I'd bet 9 times out of 10, if there's a minority candidate who can do the job better than his white opponents, he'll get the job. Rooney rule or no Rooney rule.
    Last edited by i_bleed_purple; 01-06-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Probably because you can count on one hand the number of non-pacific asians in the entire league. There are no pure asian players, everyone is some sort of mix (Hines Ward being half-Korean is about as asian as NFL players get).

Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc. simply don't play alot of football. It's not stereotyping, it's the truth. If I may generalize for a minute, black people have the stereotype of being naturally bigger, stronger and more athletic than many other races. That's a perfect fit for football. That's why so many black kids play football. HOwever, just like any other race, there's too many kids too stupid to coach (See Dez Bryant), or simply don't want to coach. There might be a few old-school owners who still prefer a white coach for no reason other than the fact that he's white, but I'd bet 9 times out of 10, if there's a minority candidate who can do the job better than his white opponents, he'll get the job. Rooney rule or no Rooney rule.
    Interesting, I did not know that

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingsFan1234 View Post
    Norm Chow was OC at Tennessee for a few years. Closest I can think of, but when you consider the number of Asians in football, I think they have been represented.

Now if you put Polynesians into the asian category you would at least have a pool of football players to draw from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast