Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rooney rule

iowa is offline Rookie

The Rooney rule

It's time to get rid of this rule, it's not needed and it's a slap in the face to black coaches. clearly there are excellent black coaches at all levels of football, nfl owners want to win, they will hire whoever gives them the best chance regardless of race. when a team has a coach in mind that they'd like to hire who happens to be white, they are forced to bring in a black candidate, who they don't want to hire, to satisfy the rooney rule. it's a complete sham, it demeans the "token" black coach. black coaches have a proven record of success in the league, there is no need for this rule. just my opinion, anybody else have thoughts on this ?
    None

PInfante97 is offline Rookie
    at least there should be a reverse rooney rule, if a team wants to hire a black coach should have to interview a white coach too.... and then that begs the question as to why dont asians need to be interviewed as well....

but on serious note, too bad timing wasnt right to make Tomlin our coach instead of letting him go to Pitt

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

The Rooney rule

Wats wrong Darrell Bevell as HC i see a lot of ppl saying no not him

PInfante97 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Wats wrong Darrell Bevell as HC i see a lot of ppl saying no not him
    id be fine with Bevell... I mean unless its a proven guy like a Brian Billick or someone like that. Sitting here rooting for one coordinator over the other is stupid at least with Bevell, he's been here before and thats gotta be worth something..

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Yes, it needs to go. I especially hate when teams know who they want to hire but still have to call some assistant or someone up to the office for a pretend interview to be the "black guy".

The one time the Rooney rule worked was coincidentally not long after the guy who the rule is named after needed a new coach.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I think you guys are being shortsighted the Ronney rule is in place because there is a good old boy mentality in the NFL. I believe that people tend to hire people they are comfortable with. We often feel more comfortable with people that look more similar to us as evidence by the way people often divide a room. Im not saying that the number of Black head coaches in the league would go back to 0 but it would reduce the growth(still imbalanced) that has been made. Coaches like Tomlin was a Rooney rule hire. He was not favored for the job and the Owners were simply doing their due dilligance but thanks to the oppose ity he was given, he blew them away. Without the Rooney rule, he doesn't get that chance to wow them nor win the Super bowl.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I think you guys are being shortsighted the Ronney rule is in place because there is a good old boy mentality in the NFL. I believe that people tend to hire people they are comfortable with. We often feel more comfortable with people that look more similar to us as evidence by the way people often divide a room. Im not saying that the number of Black head coaches in the league would go back to 0 but it would reduce the growth(still imbalanced) that has been made. Coaches like Tomlin was a Rooney rule hire. He was not favored for the job and the Owners were simply doing their due dilligance but thanks to the oppose ity he was given, he blew them away. Without the Rooney rule, he doesn't get that chance to wow them nor win the Super bowl.
    I think the part about Tomlin/Steelers is a little unfair, he was a terrific coordinator and likely would have gotten the job regardless. There is no way to know for certain.

In a perfect world the rule wouldn't be needed, but statistics show that it's not a perfect world, and minorities are less likely to get top level positions.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Right now African Americans represent 12.5% of the US population. Just by observation I'd say around 1 in 10 football coaches would identify as African American.

That doesn't mean that discrimination does not exist within the NFL, or any other level of football, but by population comparison it at least matches up.

But then when you consider the number of African American players maybe the ratio of white to black coaches seems off.

Either way, I don't think someone should be interviewed or considered for a job simply based on the color of their skin, but if somehow it does prevent discriminatory practices from taking place, I'm all for it, I just don't see it working that way.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I think its a BS rule and left over from the quota days in this country. The rule does not force anyone to hire a black coach, all you have to do is interview them. Personally I think it is demeaning. How would you feel if you were called up for an interview because of your color knowing who they were going to hire anyway?

WWBGD

iowa is offline Rookie
    we're going to bring you in for an interview because we have to, we have no intentions of hiring you though. that is what this rule has created. when people see a black guy being interviewed they are going to wonder if it's because of the rooney rule, that's insulting.
    None

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast