Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookies get lukewarm endorsement from Childress

haha, yeah i know.. i'll be doign it all year too

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Mon, May. 15, 2006

[size=18px]Rookies get lukewarm endorsement from Childress[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings 2006 rookie draft class didn't exactly earn high praise from coach Brad Childress at this weekend's minicamp.

Then again, Childress isn't one to laud players with compliments.

"You didn't notice them, they didn't stand out like sore thumbs from the standpoint of not knowing what to do," Childress said. "By the other token, you didn't see them show up because they made a great play ... Just about like you'd expect rookies to be, but I thought they all competed, they all were into it, they all were learning."

The minicamp marked the first time rookies like first-round linebacker Chad Greenway and second-round quarterback Tarvaris Jackson were on the field as professionals.

"There's a lot of big eyes, there's kind of a 'Hey, what's going on' period that goes on," Childress said.

Greenway agreed.

"Oh yeah, I was nervous," he said. "You're going to be nervous when you're out here for your first time. You're playing with professionals for the first time and you've got some nerves, but you just go out there and play hard and do what you can do and control the things that you can control and you'll be all right."

Part of the reason there may have been some big eyes out there is that some of these rookies aren't exactly coming from high-powered universities or metropolitan areas.

Though he went to Big Ten-power Iowa, Greenway is from Mount Vernon, a town of 450 in central South Dakota.

Jackson is from the sleepy Alabama capitol of Montgomery and played for Division I-AA Alabama State. Second-round center Ryan Cook played for little-known New Mexico.

"Just getting the terminology down, there's a lot more reads I have to go through than on the college level," Jackson said.

Starter Brad Johnson knows what Jackson is going through. He was an unknown coming out of Florida State 14 years ago and remembers how different life is in the NFL.

"I remember when I was a rookie 14 years ago," Johnson said. "You'd go to the line and hear 'double right check.' And you're like, 'Check what?'

"There's a lot to learn. They throw it at you fast."

Some pick up things more quickly than others. Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell were impressed by Jackson's ability to communicate the plays in the huddle.

But defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Greenway still has to adjust to the pace of the NFL.

"He's really done some good things," Tomlin said. "To be quite honest with you, he needs to do a better job of hustling, but I say that and we're giving him extra reps."

Greenway has practiced primarily with the second and third teams, though the coaches are giving him plenty of reps in hopes that he will eventually become the starter on the weak side.

"I thought I did some good and bad things," Greenway said. "It's just like in college. I had some problems there right away when I was a freshman. ... But I should have a pretty good grasp by training camp."

The roles of the rest of the class are still unclear. Jackson clearly is a long-term project at quarterback learning behind the veteran Johnson.

Cornerback Cedric Griffin, the Vikings' third second-round choice out of Texas, missed the afternoon practice on Sunday and the entire practice on Monday for personal reasons.

Cook will be a backup behind recovering Pro Bowler Matt Birk, and fourth-round defensive end Ray Edwards and fifth-round safety Greg Blue still have a lot to prove.

Most of them will stay in the Twin Cities to continue working out and digesting the playbook, with an eye toward being ready to roll when training camp comes around in August.

"They'll get so much better here in the next two weeks before the veterans join them in June," Childress said.

Notes: FS Darren Sharper missed Monday's practice for personal reasons. ... Among those dinged up over the weekend were OL Adam Goldberg (hamstring), CB Marvin Ward (hamstring), FB Joey Goodspeed (knee). SS Willie Offord (knee) and LB Ben Leber (foot) were held out of some work to avoid aggravating injuries suffered last season.

Rookies get lukewarm endorsement from Childress
    This is the worst reporting I have seen here.

If you go to the official Vikings NFL website and read the news releases regarding the minicamp, you will see that this guy talked to less than one single soul.
    He simply took what was on their website and spun his own version of it.

My interpretation of the same information would be titled; Childress has more to look at than rookies at second minicamp.

Lukewarm to me is a negative term.

I didn't sense anything lukewarm about his comments regarding rookies.

He seemed like a man who was still pretty busy learning more important things;like how good is his new team. Like where are it's strengths and where are it's weaknesses. He now has a little time to watch tape on the rookies and work with them before training camp. A lot of the rookies will stay until training camp.

He seemed very realistic with regard to comments about rookies.

He didn't come off as lukewarm or negative in my mind.He seemed rather optimistic with a grounded sense of reality.

This reporter will have to prove himself to me.

This article sucks!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

If you go to the official Vikings NFL website and read the news releases regarding the minicamp, you will see that this guy talked to less than one single soul.

My interpretation of the same information would be titled; Childress has more to look at than rookies at second minicamp.

He seemed like a man who was still pretty busy learning more important things;like how good is his new team. Like where are it's strengths and where are it's weaknesses. He now has a little time to watch tape on the rookies and work with them before training camp. A lot of the rookies will stay until training camp.

He didn't come off as lukewarm or negative in my mind.He seemed rather optimistic with a grounded sense of reality.

This article sucks!
    Imagine that, negativity in the press towards the Vikings. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "You didn't notice them, they didn't stand out like sore thumbs from the standpoint of not knowing what to do," Childress said. "By the other token, you didn't see them show up because they made a great play ... Just about like you'd expect rookies to be, but I thought they all competed, they all were into it, they all were learning."
    Thats what being a rookie is all about, you don't expect them to be putting in All-Pro performances in their first steps at minicamp. As stated for the writer to call their endorsement as lukewarm was rubbish. Then again some of the hacks that write these days don't know one end of a ball from the other
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Posted on Tue, May. 16, 2006

[size=18px]Childress: Rookies adjusting at camp[/size]

Minicamp critical, Vikings coach says

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings coach Brad Childress isn't one to dish out compliments.

So his assessment of his inaugural rookie class' performance Monday, at the close of a three-day minicamp, should be put in proper perspective.

"There's a lot of big eyes," Childress said. "There's kind of a 'hey, what's going on' period that goes on. You didn't notice them. They didn't stand out like sore thumbs from the standpoint of not knowing what to do."

Because they practiced without pads, the rookies needed to get acclimated to Childress' approach, with training camp about two months away.

"It's critical," Childress said of the minicamp. "I'd hate to be bringing a guy back in the fall and this is the first time he's seeing it. They get to know coaches, they get to know system, they get to know how we do our business on the football field, and then they're playing the game that goes along with it, and that's the most important thing."

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, selected with the final second-round pick, already is adjusting to the difference from playing college football to the pros.

"You go to class, and you don't meet that long, maybe three or four hours a day," said Jackson, who played at Arkansas and Alabama State. "But this is an all-day thing. It's your job now."

Linebacker Chad Greenway, the Vikings' top pick, noted the importance of playing alongside his new teammates.

"A week ago, I didn't have a clue who anyone on the team was," Greenway said. "Now, after three days, you have an idea who you're surrounded by and who you can count on and lean on, as far as linebackers. That's nice to have, especially coming in as a rookie. That's the biggest thing, to be here and learn the defense and get to know everyone else on the team."

Greenway and Jackson, the team's highest-profile rookies, made a positive impression. Greenway intercepted a pass Saturday, and Jackson showed off his strong arm throughout the weekend.

But that isn't what pleased Childress most about Jackson.

"I thought probably the most impressive thing was just him delivering the essay in the huddle," Childress said, referring to the play calls. "You have to know when to take a breath and where to take a breath so that everything flows when you are passing out that information. You are basically painting a picture with words."

Jackson downplayed Childress' praise.

"My plays weren't as long as the other guys'," Jackson said.

Jackson and center Ryan Cook, the second of the team's three second-round picks, were nervous heading into minicamp. But Cook said his nerves started to settle Sunday.

"A lot of stuff started to click," Cook said. "I have a pretty good feeling of the offense. … So it's a good time."

Cook said he experienced some "jitters" when he was on the field with the second-string offense. He said his offensive linemates have been nice, but he's bracing himself for some ribbing from Pro Bowl center Matt Birk.

"I'm sure it's coming," Cook said. "I'm just hanging out right now and rolling with the punches."

Though he missed the final two practices, cornerback Cedric Griffin said he felt minicamp was a personal success.

"I'm just getting used to my role, since I was a starter in college," Griffin said. "But I feel comfortable learning from Antoine (Winfield) and Fred (Smoot)."

Griffin said he wasn't nervous defending players such as Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor.

"I'm full of confidence," said Griffin, who will compete with Dovonte Edwards, Ronyell Whitaker and others for the nickel cornerback position. "I feel well competing with these guys."

Greenway was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he picked up the pace of minicamp.

"The speed of the game wasn't as big of an adjustment as I thought it would be," he said. "The knowledge came a little quicker, so the adjustments I could make faster. Overall, it was a good experience."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Childress: Rookies adjusting at camp

[size=18px]Childress pleased with players' conditioning[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 15, 2006 – 10:50 PM

The Vikings wrapped up the final practice of minicamp Monday with a strenuous set of sprint test that left coach Brad Childress "pleasantly surprised" with his team's conditioning.
    "It would have been real easy to flop and roll over and not want to do what we just did," Childress said. "Really, what we just did does not have a whole lot to do with football. It has more to do with level of conditioning and competing. Just watching those guys compete, I was quite pleased."

Reporters were asked to leave the Vikings' indoor practice facility before the drill, and Childress did not provide details on the players' performance. Apparently, however, the test consisted of 16 "half-gassers" -- sprints from the goal line to the 50-yard line and back. Players were encouraged to finish each sprint in 20 seconds or less.

It was not clear how long players had to rest between sprints. But an hour later, 343-pound left tackle Bryant McKinnie still was sweating.

"I had never run that much before," McKinnie said. "But once you do it, you say, "OK, I can do that.' "

He said that he and 320-pound nose tackle Pat Williams ran together throughout the drill.

"He coached me the whole run," McKinnie said. "When we got to 12, we were like, 'This is the fourth quarter.' "

Goodspeed tears ACL

Fullback Joey Goodspeed, signed as a free agent in February, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee Saturday afternoon and almost certainly won't be available to play this season. Childress said only that Goodspeed "hurt his knee," but a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed the diagnosis.

Offensive lineman Adam Goldberg (strained hamstring) and defensive back Marvin Ward (strained hamstring) also did not practice.

Meanwhile, the Vikings are hoping that two players who recently had surgery to repair torn anterior cruciate ligaments -- punter Chris Kluwe and safety Willie Offord -- will be cleared to practice fully when training camp begins this summer.

Etc.

• One asset working in favor of rookie free agent punter John Torp is that he is leftfooted. "The average person doesn't realize that trying to field a punt off a lefty is completely different than off a righty," special teams coach Paul Ferraro said.

Because of poor weather, punters were able to kick in only one of the minicamp's five practices.

• Free safety Darren Sharper and cornerback Cedric Griffin were excused from practice Monday for personal reasons.

• The Vikings could have a darkhorse candidate for the nickel back position. Veteran Ronyell Whitaker returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown while playing for Rhein of NFL Europe over the weekend. This season, Whitaker has returned two of his four interceptions for touchdowns.

• The team's offseason strength and conditioning program will resume this week, and Childress has scheduled the first of 14 Organized Team Activities (OTA's) for next week. Spring practices will end with a voluntary minicamp at the end of June. The team has not released the dates.

Judd Zulgad contributed to this story.

Childress pleased with players' conditioning

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Tue, May. 16, 2006

[size=18px]Childress: Rookies adjusting at camp[/size]

Minicamp critical, Vikings coach says

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings coach Brad Childress isn't one to dish out compliments.

So his assessment of his inaugural rookie class' performance Monday, at the close of a three-day minicamp, should be put in proper perspective.

"There's a lot of big eyes," Childress said. "There's kind of a 'hey, what's going on' period that goes on. You didn't notice them. They didn't stand out like sore thumbs from the standpoint of not knowing what to do."

Because they practiced without pads, the rookies needed to get acclimated to Childress' approach, with training camp about two months away.

"It's critical," Childress said of the minicamp. "I'd hate to be bringing a guy back in the fall and this is the first time he's seeing it. They get to know coaches, they get to know system, they get to know how we do our business on the football field, and then they're playing the game that goes along with it, and that's the most important thing."

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, selected with the final second-round pick, already is adjusting to the difference from playing college football to the pros.

"You go to class, and you don't meet that long, maybe three or four hours a day," said Jackson, who played at Arkansas and Alabama State. "But this is an all-day thing. It's your job now."

Linebacker Chad Greenway, the Vikings' top pick, noted the importance of playing alongside his new teammates.

"A week ago, I didn't have a clue who anyone on the team was," Greenway said. "Now, after three days, you have an idea who you're surrounded by and who you can count on and lean on, as far as linebackers. That's nice to have, especially coming in as a rookie. That's the biggest thing, to be here and learn the defense and get to know everyone else on the team."

Greenway and Jackson, the team's highest-profile rookies, made a positive impression. Greenway intercepted a pass Saturday, and Jackson showed off his strong arm throughout the weekend.

But that isn't what pleased Childress most about Jackson.

"I thought probably the most impressive thing was just him delivering the essay in the huddle," Childress said, referring to the play calls. "You have to know when to take a breath and where to take a breath so that everything flows when you are passing out that information. You are basically painting a picture with words."

Jackson downplayed Childress' praise.

"My plays weren't as long as the other guys'," Jackson said.

Jackson and center Ryan Cook, the second of the team's three second-round picks, were nervous heading into minicamp. But Cook said his nerves started to settle Sunday.

"A lot of stuff started to click," Cook said. "I have a pretty good feeling of the offense. … So it's a good time."

Cook said he experienced some "jitters" when he was on the field with the second-string offense. He said his offensive linemates have been nice, but he's bracing himself for some ribbing from Pro Bowl center Matt Birk.

"I'm sure it's coming," Cook said. "I'm just hanging out right now and rolling with the punches."

Though he missed the final two practices, cornerback Cedric Griffin said he felt minicamp was a personal success.

"I'm just getting used to my role, since I was a starter in college," Griffin said. "But I feel comfortable learning from Antoine (Winfield) and Fred (Smoot)."

Griffin said he wasn't nervous defending players such as Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor.

"I'm full of confidence," said Griffin, who will compete with Dovonte Edwards, Ronyell Whitaker and others for the nickel cornerback position. "I feel well competing with these guys."

[size=18px][/size]Greenway was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he picked up the pace of minicamp.

"The speed of the game wasn't as big of an adjustment as I thought it would be," he said. "The knowledge came a little quicker, so the adjustments I could make faster. Overall, it was a good experience."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Childress: Rookies adjusting at camp
    That is a misquote! It was Griffin that said "the speed wasn't a big adjustment ", I saw the interview he said it in. He was kinda arrogant about it, I like players that have confidence but Griffin might be a bit to arrogant for his own good. And I wish the would have expanded on why he missed the last half of the Minicamp, what personal reasons? A death in his family, was becoming a father, or was he taking a test?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:

This article sucks!
    Imagine that, negativity in the press towards the Vikings. :wink:

It's to hard for me to imagine that.. I have never see the press say anything bad about the Vikings.. I have always heard that the Minnesota press, and the Vikings had a good strong talking relationship going.. :razz:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds like he was plenty happy to me!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I completely agree that the original article in this thread is total garbage.

Cornerback Cedric Griffin, the Vikings' third second-round choice out of Texas, missed the afternoon practice on Sunday and the entire practice on Monday for personal reasons.
    That isn't even remotely accurate. :roll:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast