Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I would be surprised if Simpson doesn't make the cut. Unless he stinks things up or does something boneheaded and I think one of the spots is his to lose.

Right now, Simpson is the most experienced receiver in our offense. You take him out, and you are essentially surrounding Ponder with a complete new WR corps from last year.

I would be less surprised to see Simpson get replaced on the roster later in the season after Jennings and Ponder get more familiar and guys like Wright and Patterson get more comfortable.

Put one on the game roster and a couple on the practice roster and leave yourself some options to upgrade as they get a chance to develop.
    I don't think because he is a veteran they will keep him around. Spielman and Frazier are looking for talent and building a team. As I said I would bet that if there are two of the WR previously mentioned having a great camp and we only keep five WRs Simpson is gone. I think if we keep six, he stays, JMO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Not sure what that post has to do with who you think will make the roster. it's probably in there somewhere, but the only thing I could guess from it is that Simpson will make the roster because he is adequate for the deeper routes? Or, that anyone can come in and play the deep route role as it's not a significant part of our game? Or, maybe you said both?
    A little of both, plus I believe that Simpson is really only good at running deep routes. Most fans just saw him failing last year. They didn't see that he was failing trying to run the other routes.

Put back into his role, the X, he will be more than adequate this year. I think he will finally excell in that area because he will be allowed to focus just on that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Childs showed way too much promise to let him go now and I like Smith's skillset so Simpson could be the odd man out.
    If both impress Simpson is gone for sure.
    I'm not so sure about that. He showed some signs of promise & playmaking, but the way people talk about him is if we saw Childs play in several games. We didn't. We didn't even see him play in a preseason game. He never even made it that far in camp. The footage of him most of us saw was one play during a scrimmage during camp when he tore both patellas in his knees.

The 22-year-old receiver has since attacked his rehabilitation with great effort and positive energy. But the fact remains that a return to full health from injuries that severe registers somewhere between questionable and doubtful. In a league, where every fraction of a second, every little bit of burst matters, Childs has a long road back to even consider being a significant factor as an NFL receiver.

If it took him upwards of 18 months to feel right again after his college knee injury, what’s the realistic timetable of getting him back up to speed with two knees to work on and worry about?
    In search for receiving help, what about Greg Childs? | StarTribune.com

With him taking 18 months to recover from the Oct. 2010 injury (which takes us right before the 2012 draft) & him rupturing not only the same patella, but both patellas only 4 months later there is a huge injury risk with Childs, plus if the recovery time is the same as his last injury, he won't be ready to play until January 2014, which would keep him on the IR another season. Simpson on the other hand signed a $2.1 mil contract for 2013 & received a $500,000 signing bonus.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    And the new punter is ... Sharrif Floyd?
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Of course not... he doesn't have long enough arms to hold the ball away from his body
    He should have. JA's arms are long enough to rope calves & Floyd has longer arms than JA.

I don't here anyone complaining about JA's short arms.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    A little of both, plus I believe that Simpson is really only good at running deep routes. Most fans just saw him failing last year. They didn't see that he was failing trying to run the other routes.

Put back into his role, the X, he will be more than adequate this year. I think he will finally excell in that area because he will be allowed to focus just on that.
    Simpson excel ?

2012, 274 yards in 12 games with zero TD's.
    Career, Less than 1300 yards.

It would require a great leap of faith to envision Simpson doing well simply by going back to the X, considering he is unable to gain separation and his QB is the league leader for long ball inaccuracy in the NFL.

Simpson, like Ponder, has run out of excuses.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Floyd has longer arms than JA.
    Does Jared Allen seriously have shorter arms than Floyd? If that's the case then Allen definitely put the whole arm length theory to shame. Nice!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Simpson excel ?

2012, 274 yards in 12 games with zero TD's.
    Career, Less than 1300 yards.

It would require a great leap of faith to envision Simpson doing well simply by going back to the X, considering he is unable to gain separation and his QB is the league leader for long ball inaccuracy in the NFL.

Simpson, like Ponder, has run out of excuses.
    Who was the problem again, T Jack or T Will?

Man, what a waste of a few years that was.

We at least brought in one known variable, Jennings.

Even though Simpson made one spectacular and athletic move to score a TD as a Bengal, I still think he was an unknown quantity and a work in progress.

I just hope that Jennings, Patterson, and X (Y or Z, who's on first) can provide a combination of options to help Ponder be successful. I would hate for Ponder to be the next T Jack.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Jared Allen Combine results...Jared Allen - DE - Idaho State - 2004 NFL Combine Results Supposedly, his arm length is 32". More...Jared Allen*|*Idaho State,*DE*:*2004 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The new Sharrif Combine results...NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Sharrif Floyd The new Sharrif's arm length...31 3/4". Different position than JA...kid can play.

I bet one of my favorite Vikings...Photo Gallery » John Randle, Class of 2010 » John Randle, Class of 2010 heard every reason he couldn't succeed.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

With him taking 18 months to recover from the Oct. 2010 injury (which takes us right before the 2012 draft) & him rupturing not only the same patella, but both patellas only 4 months later there is a huge injury risk with Childs, plus if the recovery time is the same as his last injury, he won't be ready to play until January 2014, which would keep him on the IR another season. Simpson on the other hand signed a $2.1 mil contract for 2013 & received a $500,000 signing bonus.
    Yeah, I think Childs was a reach to begin with considering his injury history and this only sets him back even more but the one thing that give me hope is that he is at the Vikings facility and he is getting advised by the best of the best in the world at recovering from an injury and with the things they know there is a pretty good chance he can get back in the game and I am rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Does Jared Allen seriously have shorter arms than Floyd? If that's the case then Allen definitely put the whole arm length theory to shame. Nice!

Apparently so...
    You know who’s arms are 31 inches? Jared Allen, whose 47½ sacks since 2009 lead the NFL.
    Ingram wasn't supposed to be a Charger, is unlike any Charger Page 2 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

Ingram’s arm length is 31.5 inches, according to Steve Muench of Scouts Inc.
    Two of the better pass-rushers in the NFL, Kansas City’s Tamba Hali and Minnesota’s Jared Allen, have arms in the same length range as Ingram.
    Jared Allen - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123