Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    And the new punter is ... Sharrif Floyd?

Attachment 485
    Of course not... he doesn't have long enough arms to hold the ball away from his body
    Ok. That made me lol.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings Sign Local Minnesota WR Adam Thielen

Local Minnesota college receiver Adam Thielen reportedly will sign a contract with the Vikings today after impressing the coaches in this year's rookie (tryout) minicamp.

22 year old Adam Thielen has good size at 6'2" and 200 pounds, and he runs the 40 yard in 4.4 seconds.

Thielen was Minnesota State Mankato's leading receiver in catches (74), yards (1,176) and receiving touchdowns (eight). Also averaging 10 yards on 24 punt returns with 1 TD.

His chance of making the final roster is a long shot, but everyone likes these kind of stories. Last time I remember a story like this was Marcus Sherels. He was also a local Minnesota college player who made the rookie tryouts. No one gave him much chance to make the team, but I rooted for him and he has had a significant impact on this team.

Sherels has been the Vikings' return man, special teams gunner, and he has even played important games at the nickel spot. It's sad that most fans will remember him for his latest game where he was really picked on by Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs. Sherels has also made a bunch of good plays for us, like for example when he returned a punt for a TD against the Lions last season.

NB: One other player is also likely to sign, but his name has not yet been revealed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    cool.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    [COLOR="#000000"]Local Minnesota college receiver Adam Thielen reportedly will sign a contract with the Vikings today after impressing the coaches in this year's rookie (tryout) minicamp.

22 year old Adam Thielen has good size at 6'2" and 200 pounds, and he runs the 40 yard in 4.4 seconds.

Thielen was Minnesota State Mankato's leading receiver in catches (74), yards (1,176) and receiving touchdowns (eight). Also averaging 10 yards on 24 punt returns with 1 TD.
    Adam Thielen WR Minnesota State #9 - YouTube

Wow. Kid looks like he's a natural hands-catcher, smoothly snagging passes with out-stretched arms and accelerating down field. Good size and production and if he really runs a 4.4 40, this could be the kid we're looking for to fill and burst forth from that 5th spot!??!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    FSU WR Rodney Smith Senior Season Highlights - YouTube

Nice! Another big kid who can move a lil faster than expected. Not bad, not bad at all.

Quick question: IF both of these guys impress through preseason, is Simpson or Wright in more danger of being cut? Wright seems our best slot fit, but we may be moving away from that position a bit with our tendancy for the 2 TE set. He is also younger, but, perhaps his size limits his versatility and thus ceiling more...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Adam Thielen WR Minnesota State #9 - YouTube

Wow. Kid looks like he's a natural hands-catcher, smoothly snagging passes with out-stretched arms and accelerating down field. Good size and production and if he really runs a 4.4 40, this could be the kid we're looking for to fill and burst forth from that 5th spot!??!
    How about this guy:

A Closer Look: WR Rodney Smith (Florida State)

You don’t often see a 6-4, 225-pound receiver run a 4.47 time in the 40-yard dash, and it’s also impressive to note that NFL.com categorized him as a “top performer” in the vertical leap (34.5 inches) and the 20-yard shuttle (4.07). Smith has the reputation as a willing and effective blocker in the run game, a valued trait by a Vikings team that features one of the best running games and the best RB in the NFL.
    I just checked the current roster and it shows 8 WR's (9 if you include Webb) that are 6-2 or taller, although I think many of the heights listed are suspect. Thielen for example shows 6-1 and 190 on draft scouts site while listed at 6-3 and 200 on the vikings.com roster. But their are a number of them with big bodies and good 40 times.

If you assume that Jennings/Patterson/Wright/Simpson make the final roster and you only carry 5, that's a lot of competition for the last roster spot. A couple will most likely land on the practice squad. But that is a lot of competition with limited reps to show they deserve a spot on the roster.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    FSU WR Rodney Smith Senior Season Highlights - YouTube

Nice! Another big kid who can move a lil faster than expected. Not bad, not bad at all.

Quick question: IF both of these guys impress through preseason, is Simpson or Wright in more danger of being cut? Wright seems our best slot fit, but we may be moving away from that position a bit with our tendancy for the 2 TE set. He is also younger, but, perhaps his size limits his versatility and thus ceiling more...?
    If I was a betting man I would say Simpson should be worried. Wright is best suited for the slot with his skillset and Simpson is best on the outside. Well, we have Jennings, Patterson who are going nowhere. If we do the math and keep Jennings, Patterson, and Wright that leaves between two and three positions available.

So Simpson will be fighting for a spot with Stephen Burton, Greg Childs, Rodney Smith, Adam Theilen, Chris Summers and Lamark Brown. I get the feeling that if we keep three he will make the final cut. If we only keep two more WRs he may be on the outside looking in as I think they keep Childs and a young WR that impresses the coaching staff. Childs showed way too much promise to let him go now and I like Smith's skillset so Simpson could be the odd man out.

If both impress Simpson is gone for sure.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 05-08-2013 at 01:19 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    If I was a betting man I would say Simpson should be worried. Wright is best suited for the slot with his skillset and Simpson is best on the outside. Well, we have Jennings, Patterson who are going nowhere. If we do the math and keep Jennings, Patterson, and Wright that leaves between two and three positions available.

So Simpson will be fighting for a spot with Stephen Burton, Greg Childs, Rodney Smith, Adam Theilen, Chris Summers and Lamark Brown. I get the feeling that if we keep three he will make the final cut. If we only keep two more WRs he may be on the outside looking in as I think they keep Childs and a young WR that impresses the coaching staff. Childs showed way too much promise to let him go now and I like Smith's skillset so Simpson could be the odd man out.

If both impress Simpson is gone for sure.
    I would be surprised if Simpson doesn't make the cut. Unless he stinks things up or does something boneheaded and I think one of the spots is his to lose.

Right now, Simpson is the most experienced receiver in our offense. You take him out, and you are essentially surrounding Ponder with a complete new WR corps from last year.

I would be less surprised to see Simpson get replaced on the roster later in the season after Jennings and Ponder get more familiar and guys like Wright and Patterson get more comfortable.

Put one on the game roster and a couple on the practice roster and leave yourself some options to upgrade as they get a chance to develop.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I would be surprised if Simpson doesn't make the cut. Unless he stinks things up or does something boneheaded and I think one of the spots is his to lose.

Right now, Simpson is the most experienced receiver in our offense. You take him out, and you are essentially surrounding Ponder with a complete new WR corps from last year.

I would be less surprised to see Simpson get replaced on the roster later in the season after Jennings and Ponder get more familiar and guys like Wright and Patterson get more comfortable.

Put one on the game roster and a couple on the practice roster and leave yourself some options to upgrade as they get a chance to develop.
    I still think most of you put way to much credence on the X (Split End). At best they get 3 to 5 throws a game.

The meat of the WR corps is at the Y (Slot) and Z (Flanker) with the Z being were they will work Patterson the most in camp regardless of how many articles you read were they are going to work him at the X.

My guess, Patterson and Ponder (and Jennings) will work long hours working on the 3, 4, 5, and 6 routes because that is the big hole in this offense.

Wright is more than adequate to work the Y (Slot) 1, 2 and 3 routes, he and Ponder proved they have something there last year. Simpson will be fine out there at the 7, 8 and 9 routes and won't be asked to work the X this year something we saw last year that he is clearly not suited to do.

Jennings will rotate in at all 3 positions, but will mainly work the Z until Patterson really gets a feel for it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I still think most of you put way to much credence on the X (Split End). At best they get 3 to 5 throws a game.

The meat of the WR corps is at the Y (Slot) and Z (Flanker) with the Z being were they will work Patterson the most in camp regardless of how many articles you read were they are going to work him at the X.

My guess, Patterson and Ponder (and Jennings) will work long hours working on the 3, 4, 5, and 6 routes because that is the big hole in this offense.

Wright is more than adequate to work the Y (Slot) 1, 2 and 3 routes, he and Ponder proved they have something there last year. Simpson will be fine out there at the 7, 8 and 9 routes and won't be asked to work the X this year something we saw last year that he is clearly not suited to do.

Jennings will rotate in at all 3 positions, but will mainly work the Z until Patterson really gets a feel for it.
    Not sure what that post has to do with who you think will make the roster. it's probably in there somewhere, but the only thing I could guess from it is that Simpson will make the roster because he is adequate for the deeper routes? Or, that anyone can come in and play the deep route role as it's not a significant part of our game? Or, maybe you said both?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast