Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Rookie CB Griffin's day assuredly will come

[size=18px]Rookie CB Griffin's day assuredly will come[/size]

The Texas product said he doesn't care that other first-year Vikings players have received the most attention so far.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 28, 2006 – 9:43 PM

MANKATO - Among the Vikings' first-day draft picks this year, Cedric Griffin would qualify as the forgotten and certainly least talked-about man.
    Linebacker Chad Greenway received the typical attention that goes to a team's first-rounder. The second-round selections of raw offensive lineman Ryan Cook and Division I-AA quarterback Tarvaris Jackson spurred plenty of debate.

And then there was Griffin, taken with the first of three second-round picks.

"I don't really care about that at all," Griffin said about the lack of focus. "That's the draft, and when it's time to get to game day it's a different story."

Griffin certainly stands to see the most playing time of the Vikings' No. 2 picks when it gets to game day. He is second on the depth chart behind Antoine Winfield at left cornerback and will compete with Dovonte Edwards, Ronyell Whitaker and newcomer Dwight Smith for a role in the nickel package.

Griffin got a head start on that competition Friday as the Vikings' rookies and selected veterans opened training camp with two practices in the 90-plus-degree heat in Mankato. Both sessions were conducted in shorts, meaning Griffin was unable to display the heavy-hitting style that made him a standout at the University of Texas.

"We talk about creating a frenzy schematically in this defense, with big men running and little guys hitting, and the things that attracted us to Cedric Griffin were really the same things that attracted us to [fifth-round safety] Greg Blue," Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "At their positions they were arguably the most physical players in the draft."

Griffin left Texas with an impressive résumé. He started 38 consecutive games over his final three seasons and earned first-team All-Big 12 honors last year as the Vince Young-led Longhorns won the national championship. Griffin had eight of his 275 career tackles in Texas' 41-38 victory over Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl.

Griffin has watched the tape of that game twice but is quick to say he has put his college success behind him. "The adjustment is getting here, working with the older guys and being an underclassman all over again," he said. "Just not being a top dog. It's hard, but at the same time I love it because it's a learning process and it's something I want to do. I want to learn from Fred [Smoot] and Winfield and Darren Sharper and Tank [Williams]."

The only surprise about Griffin's statistics at Texas is the fact he had only three interceptions in 51 games. Last season he did not pick off a single pass. But Griffin said that had more to do with opposing quarterbacks throwing away from him than anything.

Still, criticism about his ability to catch the ball has bothered him. "It's frustrating because any time you read something bad about you it gets in your sidekick [brain]," he said. "I'm not really worried about it. I'm just going to go out there and show those guys that I can play and that I do have good hands."

As Griffin attempts to adjust to life in the NFL, he also has been presented with some off-the-field issues. He will become a father any day now and is anxiously awaiting the birth of his baby boy. Griffin also is dealing with sorrow, having lost his mother, Linda Williams, to breast cancer on the day after Mother's Day. "I have faith and I believe in God so I know my mom is still watching me," he said. "I have no worries about that. She's still watching me. And she saw me make the draft so I think everything is fine now."

Rookie CB Griffin's day assuredly will come

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookie CB Griffin's day assuredly will come

i think he'll be fine and good asset to the team when his time comes

good luck to him with the upcoming-future vike, and my condolences on his loss

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Just reading this makes me realize just how deep we are at depth in the secondary.. It's about dam time..

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

This guy has nickle CB written all over him.Hes a monster on the feild,I really think we'll see him start at some point in the season.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    This guy has nickle CB written all over him.Hes a monster on the feild,I really think we'll see him start at some point in the season.
    I agree. This guy has the skills to be a great CB. He is physical. Can tackle well. And has fair speed. During the USC/Texas game, he had some tackles that came close to reminding me of Ronnie Lott, he is that good.

So, yeah his day will come.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Saturday morning notebook

Rookie CB Cedric Griffin took part in a short QA session after practice.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

This guy looked really good in some of the clips on draft day so hopefully he'll turn into a nice prospect for the vikes!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]A Familiar Scene[/size]

July 29, 2006

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

While training camp may mark the beginning of a new chapter for Vikings rookie defensive back Cedric Griffin, the entire scene feels very familiar to the former Texas Longhorn so far.

Just under seven months removed from his last college football game, the second-round draft choice again finds himself surrounded by college dormitory life.

With the Vikings practicing on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato, players, coaches and staff are housed in Gage Hall, where freshman attending the school reside for most of the year.

"I lived in the dorms for two years in Texas, so coming back here isn't that bad," Griffin said on Saturday after the team's morning practice session. "It's just part of the deal because with training camp you try to isolate yourself from the outside world and try to prepare for the regular season."

And just like your typical college student living in the dorms, each Vikings player has a roommate. Griffin and fellow secondary teammate Greg Blue share a room. The players also eat in a standard college cafeteria each day.

"I ate in the cafeteria down at UT because we all had the lunch plan and the food was good there," Griffin said. "But the food here isn't bad at all, it's actually really great."

While most areas of the campus used by the Vikings are in relatively close proximity to one another, players are issued bicycles to transport themselves from place to place. This provides the players with another experience that has become a novelty to them.

"I haven't ridden around on a bike since middle school, to be honest with you," Griffin joked.

All joking aside, Griffin maintains the transition for him from the collegiate ranks to the NFL has been seamless.

"Everything is just about the same as it was at UT," Griffin says. "So I think that's why the transition is so smooth for me right now."

Griffin seems to have just as solid a grasp of the situation on the field as he does off it. Despite playing a pivotal defensive role on a team that claimed the national championship in 2006, Griffin is determined to work hard to earn his keep with the Vikings.

"I treat it like I don't have a (roster) spot and I have to compete every day because no spot is guaranteed in the NFL. You have to come out every day and compete with the next guy."

Offord at full speed

One of the selected veterans at training camp for the Vikings is safety and special teams extraordinaire Willie Offord. The four-year veteran had his 2005 season cut short by a knee injury vs. New Orleans (9/25), his first start of the season. Offord was the special teams captain until his injury sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Offord, a third-round selection in the 2001 draft, enters training camp full speed ahead, with the injury behind him.

"There's no hesitation anymore," Offord says. "I've been fully cleared and now it's full speed ahead."

Former Gopher signs with Patriots

Laurence Maroney has signed with the New England Patriots. The former Gopher was a first-round selection of New England's in last April's draft. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Note:
    Veterans are reporting to camp tomorrow. Deadline for reporting is 5:00pm.

A Familiar Scene

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

he will be a big part of this defense for years to come!! he is a hard hitting CB like Winfield but with some more speed!!!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

From the film I have seen of him he looks like he could develop into a stud NFL player. I really hope he can impress the coaches in camp and get some playing time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast