Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Robinson resurrects career by refusing to fail

[size=18px]Vikings: Robinson resurrects career by refusing to fail[/size]

By straightening out his life, Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson feels everything finally is falling into place for him -- personally and with the Vikings.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM

As he lay face-first on the field at Bank of America Stadium, Koren Robinson was seeing stars and little birdies. His coach? Rusty Tillman couldn't have been more proud.

"I thought about what I had just seen," Tillman said, "and I said, 'Boy, this guy is special.' "

Robinson had just returned a kickoff 27 yards Oct. 30 against Carolina, hitting the wedge so hard that he gave himself a concussion. "He was the one who delivered the blow," Tillman said. "That just told me how much he wanted to do this."

Robinson was named the NFC's Pro Bowl kick returner Wednesday, putting an exclamation point on one of the league's warmest stories this season. Signed Sept. 5 after spending most of August in rehabilitation for alcoholism, Robinson accepted what seemed a small role -- and one he had never attempted as a professional -- and made himself one of the league's best.

"I knew I wasn't going to come in and start," said Robinson, who joined safety Darren Sharper as the Vikings' two Pro Bowl representatives.

Nose tackle Pat Williams and cornerback Antoine Winfield also received consideration.

"But I had my mind set to do whatever," Robinson said. "I like the word 'willing' -- drop your pride and do whatever for the team."

Inactive for the first two games, Robinson has seven returns of at least 40 yards and leads the NFC with a 26.6-yard average. He has capitalized on Tillman's blocking schemes, utilizing his skill as an open-field runner and demonstrating the requisite fearlessness to hit the holes.

"He's the best I've ever had back there," said Tillman, who has coached special teams for 18 years.

Just as important, Robinson has resurrected a career that seemed in doubt after a May arrest for drunken driving. Taken ninth overall pick of the 2001 draft, Robinson caught 78 passes for Seattle in 2002. However, he was suspended four games last season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy; Seattle tacked on two more games for missing team meetings. The May arrest was his last strike.

Released by Seattle, Robinson was in a 28-day treatment program when Vikings coach Mike Tice called him in August. He will start at wide receiver while also returning kickoffs Sunday night against Baltimore.

"I was in a rehab facility in August and thinking that I would never play football again," said Robinson, who is a pending free agent. "I thought I had burned all my bridges. I didn't think I would get another chance. But I got another chance, and I've been able to play and be productive. ... I am thinking I'm doing something right. I can't stray from that.

"I have a newfound respect for life," he added. "I feel like I am whole, mentally, physically and spiritually. I am more mature. I just had a son. Everything is falling into place. I am real happy. I have not been this happy in a long time."

For very different reasons, Sharper was expressing similar delight Wednesday. His eight-year career in Green Bay ended during the offseason when the Packers, believing his best days were behind him, demanded he take a 67 percent pay cut.

But even after missing two games because of a sprained knee, Sharper has intercepted eight passes -- one short of his career high - and has returned two for touchdowns.

"I pretty much silenced the critics by proving that I can still play at a top level," said Sharper, who also has been credited with 16 pass breakups. "I feel that I can do this for years to come because of how I feel and how my body feels. But this is just as gratifying as the first time that I went [to the Pro Bowl] because of all the things that were thought to be about me as a player at this point in my career."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Robinson resurrects career by refusing to fail

It's great to see, two very deserving Vikings players, making it to the Pro Bowl..

Congrats, SS and KR

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

SamDawg84 Guest

too many articles!!!!!!!! jk singer lol its a good one

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    too many articles!!!!!!!! jk singer lol its a good one
    OK SamDawg, no more articles for you today!

To many you say?

Well, I'm putting you on a two article per day limit! :razz:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Good for Koren to make it. Sharper was a no brainer. But wheres the love for Fat Pat?
    I.B.O.T. #213

Quina is offline Waterboy

its good he got 2nd chance
    Me love to eat !

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Nice read... thanks Singer.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Its really good to see a guy get a second chance and really make something of it.

Tells you a lot about a person!

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

I'm so happy for that guy...every time I see him on an interview he just talks about how thankful he is. I really hope we sign him longterm.

Hopefully he will turn out to be another player like Cris Carter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast