Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    [size=14pt]Jim Souhan: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen[/size]
    [size=14pt]In spite of red flags, in spite of a history of troubled receivers, in spite of knowing better, the Vikings gambled. And lost.[/size]
    Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/150/story/621232.html
    MANKATO - You can react to Koren Robinson's latest arrest with disgust or, if you are of a charitable bent, with sadness, but only a fool could react with surprise.

    Robinson driving drunk is about as shocking as Mewelde Moore sitting out practice because of an injury.

    As the news of Robinson's arrest for driving 104 miles per hour and trying to evade cops while drunk sends ripples through the new, "disciplined" Vikings, let us accurately target the blame for the team's latest scandal.

    Robinson deserves most of it for behaving like a criminal. The Vikings' decision-makers deserve some for proving more gullible than the Minnesotans who thought Jesse Ventura would make a good governor.

    Robinson did not just succumb to his addiction. He endangered lives.

    Vikings apologists have expressed sympathy for Robinson because he is suffering from "a disease" and battling "demons."

    Those are lame excuses for a serious lapse in judgment.

    There is a level of alcoholism that engenders sympathy, and there is a level of alcoholism that engenders disdain, and Robinson crossed over that line long ago.

    Sit in your room late at night "battling your demons" and guiltily sneak a drink, and you may earn a modicum of sympathy.

    Hop into a car late at night and drive drunk in populated areas at 100 mph, letting down the team that employs you and the entourage that supports you, and you deserve disdain.

    My parents were alcoholics. Their addictions lessened and shortened their lives, but they weren't in the habit of trying to outrun police cars.

    In Seattle, Robinson threw away a prominent role in a dynamic offense by abusing alcohol and displaying erratic behavior. This led to the heartwarming tale of Robinson being refused entrance to jail because he was too drunk.

    When you are too drunk to go to jail, alcohol is not your only problem.

    If the Vikings want their 77-page Code of Conduct and their new Commitment to Discipline to be taken seriously, they need to cut all ties to Robinson.

    When they acquired Robinson last year, I questioned why the people who traded Randy Moss because they were tired of headaches could acquire a less reputable and less accomplished player.

    I received the usual 1,000 angry e-mails for failing to open my heart to a man in need.

    Problem was, Robinson not only was a drunk, he was a drunk with a rap sheet.

    The Vikings made a mistake when they acquired Robinson, and compounded that mistake when they signed him to a three-year deal, and those mistakes again reveal the gullibility of the Vikings' brain trust.

    These people interviewed Fran "Faux" Foley, then actually hired him for a vital role in their organization, failing to do the fundamental homework that would have revealed him as a poseur.

    These people interviewed Brad Childress and instantly decided he was their man. He might become a good coach, but an inexperienced brain trust might have benefited from a more inclusive search. (They liked Childress so much they wouldn't let him leave the Twin Cities for an interview in Green Bay.)

    These people listened to Robinson's charming story about kicking his habit, then signed him to a three-year contract and installed him as their top receiver.

    Robinson was not forced upon them by a previous regime. This is a player fully embraced by The Brain Trust.

    In the past two days, I've heard three or four stories about Robinson falling off the wagon or breaking team rules. How did the Vikings, an organization deciding to spend millions on a key player, fail to discern that he was, at best, a high-risk proposition?

    It's as if they had Foley do Robinson's background check.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    We won for one season. We protected ourselves with the writing of his contract.

    Robinson lost the Vikings didn't lose.

  3. #3
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    This is the one of the 2 reporters that have been writing negative things about the Vikings because Childress didn't bow down to them when he became headcoach.

    He is a pro sports hater and every article he writes about the Vikings has a negative twist to it, he and Ruesse think it is their job to bring down every pro sports team in the Twin Cities.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  4. #4
    Rastak's Avatar
    Rastak is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    148

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    "Del" wrote:
    We won for one season. We protected ourselves with the writing of his contract.

    Robinson lost the Vikings didn't lose.

    That sure is an optimistic view Del. Are you sure we won't end up paying him any money this year? How about the negative publicity as the team tries to get a new stadium approved? How about the fact we could have looked at alternatives at KR and WR? How bad would the pub have been had he killed someone? Man, I don't even want to think about that.
    I know hindsight is 20/20 and just like you most likely did I was hoping it would work out but I was nervous about it. To me, the Vikings CLEARLY lost and I don't see how you can spin it any other way.



  5. #5
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    I agree, a bump in the road, nothing more.


    The Vikings gave him a contract that pays him $3 million this year, but $2.3 million is tied up in a roster bonus. While the Vikings like Robinson, this incident puts his job and his career in jeopardy.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dclayton_john

  6. #6
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    The Vikings have never strayed away at giving second chances and taking shots on people. Some of them pay off some of them do not.

    If you were a solid accountant for huge powerhouse buisinesses and you were a known alcoholic. If you went to rehab, took time off from the Biz do you think no one would hire you when you came back? Highly doubtful. You would probably have no problem finding work. If you showed up to work wasted or was caught on TV in a 100MPH police chase you would be let go, which is probably exactly what the Vikings will do.

    You cannot blame the franchise for not seeing the future. You can blame them for not taking action after something does happen.

    What does this guy want a bunch of born again christian football players holding hands braiding each others hair? This is football. This is a violent sport where men make a living trying to rip each others heads off. I bet that panty waste listens to christian rock on his way to work. Who rocks harder AC/DC or John Holywang and the bastismal fancy pants band? Seriously.

    I hate when sports writers try to apply a standard higher to sports then other jobs. What is the difference? They make more money. FOLKS making more money does not cure the human element, the vices, the hate, the feelings. This is a case of the grass is greener. The only reason they make more money then anyone else is because we pay more money then anyone else.

    At the end of the day it is still football. If you didnt buy jerseys, buy tickets, but hats.....then they would get paid 45,000 dollars a year and they would still play, because it is the best damn sport in the world. Understand before you apply a double standard about the way these people act that this a job.

    Now I want to know if the replacement that will make this sportswriter happy has to be baptised allready or would he like the team to come together hold hands, and do it as one unit under god.......

    Lord I apologize......bless the pygmies.......

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    This writer is an idiot.
    Hindsight is 20/20.


    ...but only a fool could react with surprise.
    Give me a break.
    Nobody else saw this coming.
    Nobody.
    Most people acknowledged it as a possibility, but after his conduct last year, everyone figured it was a very distant one.

    My parents were alcoholics.

    Don't use your crappy childhood as an excuse to lable all alcholoics as fit for only sadness or disdain.
    I happen to know some alcoholics who have been dry for several years now, and I have nothing but respect for them.

    I don' t have any sympathy for KoRo.
    He doesn't deserve it (and probably doesn't want it).
    But I certainately don't blame the Vikings for taking a chance on him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    What does this guy want a bunch of born again christian football players holding hands braiding each others hair?
    How can they braid each other's hair when they are holding hands?
    ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    What does this guy want a bunch of born again christian football players holding hands braiding each others hair?
    How can they braid each other's hair when they are holding hands?
    ;D
    With the spirit......with the spirit.

  10. #10
    Rastak's Avatar
    Rastak is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    148

    Re: Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    This is the one of the 2 reporters that have been writing negative things about the Vikings because Childress didn't bow down to them when he became headcoach.

    He is a pro sports hater and every article he writes about the Vikings has a negative twist to it, he and Ruesse think it is their job to bring down every pro sports team in the Twin Cities.

    Well, I agree these guys seem to thrive on negativity but if the Vikes would quit doing negative things every damn year maybe there would be more positivity (as PA would say).


    Firing Foley after just hiring him.
    Having Ko Ro go balastic with a car.

    Bad things....My take on Childress is this....he seems like a bit of an odd duck, I'm hoping he's a football genius, but some of his quotes do invite some not so great columns.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Childress opens up about Favre, Moss fiasco.
    By Culpepper_4717 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 01:20 AM
  2. Childress: The 12 men on the field fiasco
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
  3. Texas Art Teacher Fiasco
    By PacNWVike in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM
  4. Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
  5. Why did the Janet fiasco happen?
    By Viking_Spirit in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •