Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    ajefx is offline Rookie

Re: Robinson a bust?

Whether or not Daunte ignored Robinson for Moss (which doesn't explain Robinson's pitiful performance when Moss was injured...) inside the 20, Robinson didn't do much between the 20's.

I will continue to argue that Robinson was brought in to perform at a #2 receiver's level because he was brought in to be our #2 receiver. The last five weeks he spent in Baltimore (22 catches, 375 yards and 6 TDs) showed the promise that he showed back in '99 with the Bears (84 catches, 1400 yards and 9 TDs).

Taking a cursory look at his career statistics may indicate Robinson is simply average. However, this guy has been injured time and time again and missed many games. He's never started 16 games in a season (and only played in 16 games three times in his career, including his spectacular '99 campaign). Keep in mind this is a guy we brought in to be our starter, especially after the way he finished the year in Baltimore (20+ catches, 375 yards, 6 TDs in 5 games), a team that had the worst passing attack that year.

After seeing the way he performed in Baltimore we thought he could return to the level of play he had early in his career with Chicago. There was no reason not to; he'd been pretty healthy the last few years and had two 100 yard games in 5 weeks with Baltimore.

And while Robinson may have filled a role on the team last year, he didn't fill the role we signed him to fill. If we had signed him to be our #3 receiver, I would be lauding the signing of Robinson last year. But we didn't sign him to be our #3. We signed him to be our second starter.

Finally, I don't want three Randy Moss's on my team; one would have been enough for me. But I wanted the same thing the front office wanted when they signed Robinson; a guy good enough to play across from him.

Maybe I'll stop crying if we draft a real #2 this Saturday.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Agreed,is Moe Williams a bust? Hell no,he is a helluva football player! No he doesn,t rush for 1200 yards,or catch 65 passes in a year.But he fills his role well.(In my opinion exceptionally well)And contributes when the opportunity arises and he is called upon.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

ajefx is offline Rookie

Moe Williams is one of the most important guys on our team. He does so many things well that stats don't measure - he's far and away the best blocking back in the league, IMO, he can get you the tough yards or come in on long yardage situations and catch a dump off pass if the play breaks down or a screen if the plays designed to go his way.

Moe Williams doesn't just fill a role well, he fills his role well. Marcus Robinson does not fill the role we signed him to fill.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Robinson a bust

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:
    I think Robinson was just injured too much!

He was hurt last year? He played in every game.
    I thought he had a nagging hamstring injury last year.

Yeah, during training camp, along with about 10 other vikes players. Every team has about 10 or so players that pull their hamstrings during training camp. That is due to their bodies not being prepared for the workouts they get. He was as healthy as he has been for many years, last year.
    Maybe so but I like the way Robinson plays on grass. I thought if Minny would have used him more in the Eagles game we had a shot.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Robinson a bust

"ajefx" wrote:
    yep, definitely a bust. he was brought in to be our #2 but wasn't that good. he performed well in a few games, namely against Houston (but let's not forget he DROPPED a potential game-winning pass the play before catching the game winner).

BTW, where the hell was he when Moss got hurt? He was straight up awful without 84 on the field.
    I think he was still recovering from the lingering affects of his injuries.

I think that some tend to look back on his career and think that he hasn't done much and then say well he really isn't that good. But, he finally has a QB that is going to distribute the ball. I hope M.ROb is excited about his opportunity this year, he better come to play.

He had a heck of a game in Houston even if he dropped the pass. He stepped up and won the game when the opportunity presented itself again. He had 150 yards and 2 TDs.

BTW, Moss had 90 yards and 2 TDs.

Del Rio Guest

I hardly blame Robinson for being a number two when his history of playing time puts him in line with our #3.

I blame the fans that had higher expectations just like every off season people get all juicy over the next big pickup then they come here play how they always have and the impact is relative. Then next year you hear about how they were a bust.

Again I am sure the Vikings knew what he was going to get. If he didn't leave up to theor expectations he would be gone. He isn't.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I hardly blame Robinson for being a number two when his history of playing time puts him in line with our #3.

I blame the fans that had higher expectations just like every off season people get all juicy over the next big pickup then they come here play how they always have and the impact is relative. Then next year you hear about how they were a bust.

Again I am sure the Vikings knew what he was going to get. If he didn't leave up to theor expectations he would be gone. He isn't.
    exactly!!! when we got him i just thought of him as being a nice addition! :grin:

Go vikes!!

when i first heard bout m rob i thought he'd have a big year . i think it had more to do with injuries than any thing . he's supposed to be healthy so we'll see. who know maybe the big three will be #7 , burls and travis taylor .

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

robinson a bust? yeah right he didn't get much passes cause of burleson and moss. robinson and burleson will do better without moss in there getting all the passes
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345