Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Smith

Big Daddy is offline Starter

Robert Smith

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    Now I just look back at his career as an injury prone quitter with self interests as his #1 priority. If it wasn't for this book he's trying to promote and sell ($$$), he wouldn't be doing interviews or going to Vike training camp signing books.
    Wow, do you really think money is his only motivation for going to camp? Do you really think he started making more money after he left the NFL?
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

Robert Smith

"Big Daddy" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:
    Now I just look back at his career as an injury prone quitter with self interests as his #1 priority. If it wasn't for this book he's trying to promote and sell ($$$), he wouldn't be doing interviews or going to Vike training camp signing books.
    Wow, do you really think money is his only motivation for going to camp? Do you really think he started making more money after he left the NFL?
    Of course he's doing it for money. That's why people promote books. I'm sure he's making a fine living nowadays but how many times has he been back since he left? I don't think he's doing it out of the kindness of his heart.
    Even babies know the difference.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Robert Smith

Robert smith was a class act who tried to help
    and did help the team. It was his choice when to retire just as it will be for any of us.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

Robert Smith

"purplehorn" wrote:
    Robert smith was a class act who tried to help
    and did help the team. It was his choice when to retire just as it will be for any of us.
    No argument there.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Robert Smith

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "purplehorn" wrote:
    Robert smith was a class act who tried to help and did help the team. It was his choice when to retire just as it will be for any of us.
    No argument there.

No argument? What was going on when you said "Now I just look back at his career as an injury prone quitter with self interests as his #1 priority."?...which is it...is he a class act who tried to help (and did), or is he an injury-prone quitter, who, by another definition of yours, is also self-righteous?

Sorry, man, but you kinda struck a nerve with me by comparing him to Barry Sanders, who really DID punk out and shaft his team. The way I see it, the difference is that Sanders quit AFTER the Draft and left the Lions in a big time hurt at RB, where Smitty left the Vikes BEFORE the Draft, and gave them a chance to fill his position well before the season started.

Why get on a guy's case for wanting to retire at the top of his game and get out while he still has a working body? These guys aren't just robots put out on the field for our amusement and entertainment. And so what if he's trying to promote his book? More power to him.

Robert Smith

Jeez, calm down before you have an idol worship aneurysm.

#1) I agree anyone can choose to retire when and as they please.
    #2) He was a class act during his eight years as a Viking (believe me, he was one of my faves during that era).
    #3) He was injury prone during his career (he even admits that) and did quit before he should have when it comes to his stats.
    #4) And yes, he seems very self-righteous to me. That's just my opinion. Others may see him as a down to earth guy who made all the right choices for the betterment of the team, fans and organization. I do not.
    #5) Yes, he did graciously leave at a time when we had a chance to draft a RB the following year, but he did leave the game in his prime like Sanders and that is where that comparison comes in.
    #6) Yes, these players are out there for our amusement and entertainment...in addition to there own. That is why they get paid the big bucks. We watch.
    #7) There is nothing wrong with promoting his book. I am a 100% supporter of capitalist society. Yes, more power to him. All I was commenting on was that the only reason he is coming out of the woodwork now is to promote the book. He is not going to camp for the love of the fans or the organization. If Denny Green was coaching the 49'ers this year, we might see Smith in the red and gold not purple and gold.

I respect what Smith did as a Viking during his eight years. I am just disappointed in him for quitting when he did. And I am glad his body isn't too damaged from playing the game. All it comes down to is the fact that there are some players who play the game with all they have. They give 100% from day one until they physically can't anymore. And yes, they pay for it. I don't think Smith is one of those players. Which is a good thing for him physically.

In the end I think that he was good, very good, but all in all, he wasn't great.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Robert Smith

As a long-time Vikings fan (since 69), I consider Robert Smith one of the greatest Vikings of all time. And this is not just because of his performance on the field, but in particular because of his performance off of it.

That part in the article about sitting out a year in college? It was basically him fighting with his coaches about practice/training time. Smith felt his academic studies were the MOST important thing in his college career, and would not sacrifice them for football. He is a shining example of what an athlete CAN be...educated, intelligent, well-spoken, polite, dedicated, and has his head on straight and priorities set properly. There were actually some stories that after he retired, he was considering going to medical school.

This guy retired at the top of his game. Yes, he injured his knee (again) and faced a long winter/spring of rehab, but he could have done it. As I recall, he decided being able to walk without pain as a 40 year old was more important than earning millions of dollars playing a kid's game.

Robert Smith is, and should be, an inspiration to everyone.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Robert Smith

Good call purplepat :cheers: to bad their are not more (there are and LOTS) but 75% who are in the game are only there for money, fame, no matter how they get there it is NO pain NO gain :wink:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12