Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Brzezinski

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Rob Brzezinski

Remember this name, Rob Brzezinski.

You are either going to grow to love or hate him in the next couple of months.

Here is what he said.

BY DON SEEHOLZER, Pioneer Press

INDIANAPOLIS — Rob Brzezinski isn't naming names, but the Vikings' vice president of football operations will make one promise.

With nearly $36 million to spend under the NFL's salary cap, the Vikings will be an active participant when the free-agent signing period begins Wednesday.

"We will be a player," Brzezinski said Sunday at the NFL scouting combine. "There are certain guys that we like, certain positions that can help us. We plan on being aggressive and being a player right away."

"In the last couple of years, there have been fewer guys out on the free-agent market because clubs are doing a better job of signing their own guys," Brzezinski said. "Typically, the top guys out there move pretty quickly, and I expect that will happen again this year. If you're relying on one guy to come in and be a savior, you're probably mistaken."

Coach Mike Tice doesn't return from the scouting combine until Tuesday, but Brzezinski will get home today. For the next two days, the Vikings' current roster will be his first order of business.

"Re-signing our own players is the priority," Brzezinski said. "We had just finished up a roster plan. Kicking that into gear, laying out a schedule for how we'll approach free agency and when people may be coming in, coordinating those schedules with coach Tice and the coaching staff. Really, at this time, we're planning out what we visualize the first couple of weeks of March to look like."

If recent years are any indication, the next few weeks will resemble a feeding frenzy, but Brzezinski cautioned that free agency doesn't end in mid-March.

"Kind of the consensus top guys will go quickly," he said. "Then, just as critical, is that period that you get into after the first wave goes. The last couple of weeks of March and April before the draft are where you have a chance to bring some guys in and help you for value. That's just as important or maybe more important than those top guys."

Tender time: The Vikings plan to tender qualifying contract offers today to all seven of their restricted free agents, including wide receiver Kelly Campbell, who was arrested Thursday night in Atlanta on weapon and drug charges.

Kicker Jose Cortez, offensive lineman Adam Haayer, quarterback Shaun Hill, safety Willie Offord, safety Brian Russell and cornerback Brian Williams are the other restricted free agents.

Rob Brzezinski

"Kind of the consensus top guys will go quickly," he said. "Then, just as critical, is that period that you get into after the first wave goes. The last couple of weeks of March and April before the draft are where you have a chance to bring some guys in and help you for value. That's just as important or maybe more important than those top guys."

So important, we have all been talking about the key players but the Vikes need to make sure they get some worker bees too.

I realize someone mentioned getting J.Rice and I didn't like the idea but he would be good to have around our young WRs, if we don't go out and get a top FA WR. Especially good if we ended up drafting a WR.

NavyVik is offline Training Camp

Rob Brzezinski

I'll believe it when I see it. When a team is near 30+ million under the cap, you would think spending is the thing to do. But I don't anticipate any big name guys coming in. Lets not forget, the Patriots do it with mostly lower level guys fitting into a system.

I have been proven wrong before, and I hope I am wrong this time.

I would like to see us spending up to 20-25 million of that under $$.

Time will tell.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Rob Brzezinski

Depending on the price tag, I think Rice is worth a look.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Rob Brzezinski

Rice would be a solid pickup, but he wouldn't get much PT on our squad. After Burleson and Robinson we won't be utilizing the 3rd receiver as much as in the past. Look for us to be running multiple TE sets, with or without Wiggens. AND we will be drafting a WR if not in round 1, somewhere in the draft. Rice would be great for the locker room though.

Rob Brzezinski

"JDogg926" wrote:
    Depending on the price tag, I think Rice is worth a look.
    It would be nice to for Burleson and Robinson to see a guy that has to work for everydown and a legend.

I guess Burleson was around for C.Carter.

I don't think Robinson has ever had a quality mentor other than Randy.

Burleson was telling Total Access that he would ask Randy to stay after practice and go over Routes and reading Defenses to run the right routes. We don't know how far along Burleson was in his training process, if he still needs help or not.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Rob Brzezinski

"NavyVik" wrote:
    I'll believe it when I see it. When a team is near 30+ million under the cap, you would think spending is the thing to do. But I don't anticipate any big name guys coming in. Lets not forget, the Patriots do it with mostly lower level guys fitting into a system.

Time will tell.

Exactly what I was going to say!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Rob Brzezinski

I don't think that a team could take on Rice without telling him he is not going to see much time. Be honest with him. He was kind of a distraction in OAK when he thought he was going to be a big part of the O and then wasn't getting balls thrown his way.

I think he did better in SEA. I think that he may not like us cause we don't run the West Coast that he knows. He would be more inclined to run with MOOCH in a lions uni than with our TE sets in a MN uni.

Rice is probably a MUTE POINT!

ROB Brzezinski better spend some money. Atleast for the time being. We need to fix some holes or we are going to get lit up. I totally agree that we would like to get a lot of blue collar guys like the Pats. I think we were trying that but our young guys never quite developed like we thought they would. A little bit behind schedule. EJ, Roanall, our project CBs and Ss all behind schedule. TIme to go spend and draft some guys that can take over in a couple of years.

Rob Brzezinski

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "NavyVik" wrote:

Time will tell.

Exactly what I was going to say!
    So in a round about way you are saying that you are going to grow to hate ROB.

Rob Brzezinski

I won't be a hater when it comes to ROB. When "DAD" puts the padlock on the check book, there is nothing you can do.

Lets hope for the best.

Less than 48 hours until go time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast