Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivalry?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rivalry?

A high school team could beat the Lions

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

VIKINGS-SEAHAWKS!!!

Come on, you know it's on now! I think it's been brewing ever since Alexander single-handedly torched the Vikes for like 4 or 5 tds a couple of years ago. And with all the crap this offseason, it's going to be ugly. I'm going to Seattle just to watch it! Maybe I'll have a Vikes Hutch jersey with me! Ooooh, that hurts.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

i dont know why they dont but oakland and KC, did you see last yrs game Vermil went for the win not the tie and larry johnson ran it in to win the game

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Perch56" wrote:
    i dont know why they dont but oakland and KC, did you see last yrs game Vermil went for the win not the tie and larry johnson ran it in to win the game
    Vermil just needed a reason to cry

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Maybe its just Minnesota teams vs Wisconsin teams, in general that are
    huge rivalrys. To us its like the Redsox, Yankees rivalry. But i really look forward to us vs the Seahawks this year. Alot of bad blood in that one.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I think rivalries in the NFL have lost some of that tradition that is necessary for a full-blooded-rivalry to be established because of the changes in the league structure. I mean if we were talking about this 5 years ago we'd be saying Tampa are a big rival because we were playing them twice a year at that point. I think rivalries goes beyond who you play against the most frequently, though a history of contests is absolutely necessary. New England and Indy, I would classify that as a rivalry because it has a story behind it. When someone asks why Indy consider the Patriots rivals even though they're not in the same division, you can instantly regale the story of how the Patriots have denied the often-more-fancied Colts of a place in the Superbowl thanks to last-minute field-goals in the driving snow of Gilette Stadium, or right in the Colts backyard in the RCA Dome.

That being said, we most certainly have a rivalry with the Packers.. The history is there, and the stories are there.

And I wouldn't say it's just about contests. But personnel can bring their own personal grudges with them to a team.. (I'm looking at you Marty Schotteinheimer) which adds something that wasn't there before, but will no-doubt persist after they've gone.

I've kinda lost track of where I was going with this..

:grin:

simonsparre is offline Pro-Bowler

"Warp" wrote:
    But i really look forward to us vs the Seahawks this year. Alot of bad blood in that one.
    me too. Also the Cardinals game. A lot of bad memories!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

As far as the North, the Bears and Pack since they have been around a heck of a lot longer than us.

As far as the NFL, I guess it is opinion.

But, I watched a segment on ESPN and the showcased the Cowboys and Redskins. You really have to look at how the Cowboys were formed and how the owner of the Redskins tried to block the addition because the Skins had the majority or radio listeners in Texas. And then the bad blood spilled over when the Cowboys were awarded a franchise.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

How about Eagles Cowboys for a rivalry?

As a Viking fan, I can say that the Packers and Vikings have had a great rivalry over the years. But as a football fan, every team is only allowed one rivalry, at the most. A lot of teams don't have rivalries, just teams they hate.

Now I am sure that the Packers hate the Vikings, that is a given, but if I had to give them one rival team, it would be the Bears. That has been a much longer rivalry.

The Vikings hate the Packers, but just like the Lions (who hate the Packers aswell) are not the rivals of Green Bay.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

New England and Indy, I would classify that as a rivalry because it has a story behind it. When someone asks why Indy consider the Patriots rivals even though they're not in the same division, you can instantly regale the story of how the Patriots have denied the often-more-fancied Colts of a place in the Superbowl thanks to last-minute field-goals in the driving snow of Gilette Stadium, or right in the Colts backyard in the RCA Dome.
    they may not be in the same division but the nfl schedual always finds away for them to play dont they?

actually i just checked it and they do again this year and guess wat? its primetime.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast