Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rick Spielman to the Vikings???

I just hope the Vikes checked his resume, a month from now I do not want to hear reporters ripping on the Vikings about not checking his job history.

Not thrilled with this move, but I hope that it works out for the best. I would rather the Vikes had hired a real GM that would run the entire football side of the operation, not somebody to just oversee the player personnel dept.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    I wish the season would just start.
    Amen to that Prophet. :smile:

WWBGD

mogwai is offline Starter

this is the same joker that gave up a 2nd rd. pick for aj feeley...another bad front office move.come on zygi

Prophet Guest

POSTED 3:45 p.m. EDT, May 30, 2006

VIKES HIRE SPIELMAN
    Mike Florio

The Minnesota Vikings have hired former Dolphins G.M. Rick Spielman as the team's new vice president of player personnel.

On the surface, the move isn't surprising. Spielman had been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace former V.P. of player personnel Fran Foley, who was abruptly fired in early May, due in part to the fact that he treated his resume like an exercise in creative writing.

What's surprising to us is that the Vikes somehow managed to fill the position quietly and discreetly, after a tumultuous year in which there has been nothing quiet nor discreet about the organization.

Heck, no one even knew that the Vikings were interviewing. There were rumors of other potential candidates after Foley got flushed, but it eventually appeared that the Vikes would stand pat with coach Brad Childress and cap guy Rob Brzezinski running the show.

At this point, it's not known whether there were other interviews, or other candidates. Jaguars director of pro personnel Charles Bailey was a finalist for the job when Foley was hired, but Bailey was at least No. 2 again (if not lower) when the job was re-filled.

Spielman generally has been an enigma during his stints with the Lions, Bears and Dolphins. On one hand, he is generally respected and liked in league circles. On the other hand, his results have been far from stellar.

And although fans and the local media might offer up some criticism of the move, Spielman's stint in Bristol likely will secure for him a certain degree of immunity from the ESPN scribes and talking heads, similar to the kid-gloves treatment that Vinny Cerrato, Tom Donahoe, and other grads of ESPNU have received.

As long, of course, as they either take or return calls from the guys who get paid to gather the info.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"mogwai" wrote:
    this is the same joker that gave up a 2nd rd. pick for aj feeley...another bad front office move.come on zygi
    Ya gotta wonder where he's getting his advice. From everything I've read, this guy is the Kevin McHale of the NFL (i.e. giving away draft picks like there's no tomorrow, often in return for very little). :roll:
    I am a dipshit!!!

Bruvikes is offline Waterboy

Give the guy a break, who was making the calls and how much money did he have to work with. You make it sound like the lions and the Bears stunk because of him alone. Was he the coach and the players to? He did all right by getting Culpepper for nothing but maybe he didn't have anything to do with that either.

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree with most of you in that this is definately a questionable hire. But, he does have a lot of experience in scouting and covering the draft. This could become very helpful having him grade out college players. Hopefully he can do a good job and mesh well with the rest of the staff.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Bruvikes" wrote:
    Give the guy a break, who was making the calls and how much money did he have to work with. You make it sound like the lions and the Bears stunk because of him alone. Was he the coach and the players to? He did all right by getting Culpepper for nothing but maybe he didn't have anything to do with that either.
    amen
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"boognish" wrote:
    "mogwai" wrote:
    Ya gotta wonder where he's getting his advice. From everything I've read, this guy is the Kevin McHale of the NFL (i.e. giving away draft picks like there's no tomorrow, often in return for very little). :roll:
    I guess that's better than the Isiah Thomas of the NFL!

burger13 is offline Waterboy

in all fairness to Spielman........Wannstedt had a lot of say in the decision making in Miami. That didn't help. One example is that it was Wanny's call to draft Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin, although Spielman had Boldin higher on the draft board.

I'm not giving Rick a free pass, just saying that he wasn't getting much help.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast