Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Rick Spielman to the Vikings???

minnesota reporters are going to eat this guy alive and spit him out before lunch. Good Luck !!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From CantonRep.com;

[size=18px]Spielman in ‘dream job’ with Vikings[/size]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
    By Steve Doerschuk Repository sports writer

Rick Spielman’s status as one of Stark County’s new-generation NFL movers and shakers is back on. The former Canton Timken and Massillon high school football player is fired up about it.

“It was a great sabbatical for a year,” Spielman told The Repository after his first week on the job as a Minnesota Vikings vice president. “I enjoyed working for ESPN. My dream job is where I am right now.”

He indicated a triangle of power under Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has a clear-cut surface: “Brad Childress is coaching. I’m running personnel. Rob Brzezinski will do the contract stuff.”

That is similar to the structure installed in Cleveland in 2005, when Romeo Crennel became coach, Phil Savage became general manager and holdover Trip MacCracken was salary cap coordinator.

Spielman’s previous team, Miami, was like that when Dave Wannstedt was coach and Spielman was personnel chief. Wannstedt resigned during a 2004 season that crashed with a 4-12 record.

After Nick Saban was hired with powers Browns fans associate with Butch Davis, Spielman hung on as general manager, but only through the Dolphins’ 2005 draft. He said there is no bitterness.

“I learned a lot from Nick Saban,” Spielman said. “I was exposed to a whole different view of things.”

The vision had been to help Wannstedt put Miami in a Super Bowl. After the Dolphins went 11-5 in 2001 but lost in the first round of the playoffs, Spielman gambled. He engineered a trade for Ricky Williams, which cost Miami two first-round draft picks.

Williams rushed for 1,853 yards in 2002, but the Dolphins slipped to 9-7 and lost a tie-breaker that sent Cleveland to the playoffs.

Miami went 10-6 in 2003 but missed the playoffs again, and Spielman’s seat warmed up. He gambled again, giving the Eagles (whose offensive coordinator was Childress) a second-round pick for quarterback A.J. Feeley. The thinking was that Feeley was a good but not great quarterback who would be effective in an offense built around Williams.

“We got hit with the Ricky thing unexpectedly,” Spielman said.

Williams retired before the 2004 season, which hit the team as hard as a hurricane. Williams “un-retired” in 2005, giving Miami 83 yards in a 22-0 loss at Cleveland, but by then Spielman was between jobs.

He was hired by ESPN, where he wrote an Internet column and did on-camera and radio analysis. He laughs about all the speech and communications courses he should have taken at Timken and Massillon.

“I took the ESPN job seriously, the way I would any job,” Spielman said. “I prepared for the draft the way I normally prepare.”

What damage did Spielman’s unhappy ending in Miami inflict on his career?

“I never worried about it one bit,” he said. “Behind the scenes, people know what your abilities are. They understand situations.

“Why take a woe-is-me approach after one bad year? My attitude is, ‘Man, I’ve had some experiences ... other people haven’t had.’

“Going back to my time in Stark County, I wouldn’t be in this situation without all I’ve experienced. Now I’m in a great situation, and I’m still very young in this profession.”

Spielman, 43, said life since the Vikings hired him last week has been a “whirlwind.” He and his wife Michelle have six adopted children ranging in age from 4 to 16.

The family had gotten used to Miami’s winter warmth. Minnesota freezes over early.

“I did take an ice-fishing class at Ohio State,” Spielman said.

He doubts he’ll use the knowledge in “the land of 10,000 lakes.” His mission is to help thaw the deep freeze amid which the Vikings haven’t been to a Super Bowl since he was an Edgefield School sixth-grader in Plain Township. Breaking through this season would be a twist in Spielman’s career — the Super Bowl is in Miami.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: [email protected]

The Massillon QB club

Former Massillon quarterbacks have spanned generations as leading NFL decision-makers.

Paul Brown was founding head coach and personnel chief of the Browns and Bengals. He ran the Bengals until his death in 1991.

John McVay won five Super Bowl rings as a 49ers personnel executive, and worked for the team until recently.

Rick Spielman has been a personnel man for the Lions, Bears and Dolphins, and is personnel chief for the Vikings.

Spielman in ‘dream job’ with Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

If this guy had to take a class to learn to ice-fish we are in trouble.

Class starts now.

1) In the winter you need to drill a hole in the ice to get to the fish.
    2) You use an ice fishing rod not an eight foot pole.
    3) Drink as much as possible to stay warm.
    4) It is allowable to pee on the ice. NOT allowable to pee in your buddies fishing hole.

There you have it.
    I.B.O.T. #213

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"sunny" wrote:

Class starts now.

4) It is allowable to pee on the ice. NOT allowable to pee in your buddies fishing hole.

There you have it.
    Note. However I did take a bowling class in college which could look like this:

1) get beer
    2) roll ball

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "sunny" wrote:

Class starts now.

There you have it.
    Note. However I did take a bowling class in college which could look like this:

1) get beer
    2) roll ball
    I think there is a walking class at Central Michigan
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516