Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Rick Spielman contract extension

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "They are all working together," and when you get the personalities in place that work well together, why not keep it rolling.

Additionally, not only did our first 5 picks all have good rookie years, and flash plenty potential, but we were also able to trade back in the 2nd, still get our guy, and then trade that extra pick into a third this year!
    That is like making gold from straw.
    I like to call it "Working the Draft Board" but I like yours better.

Excellent point.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    "They are all working together," and when you get the personalities in place that work well together, why not keep it rolling.

Additionally, not only did our first 5 picks all have good rookie years, and flash plenty potential, but we were also able to trade back in the 2nd, still get our guy, and then trade that extra pick into a third this year!
    I like to call it "Working the Draft Board" but I like yours better.

Excellent point.
    I definitly agree with you guys, and I do feel as though they are working together well.

There are some out there that want to put off judgement for a few more seasons to make a prediction on the guys drafted but you have to look at how they are drafting and who they are drafting. Since Childress has become coach, the players, the personalities and work ethics they have brought in have been tremendous. Especailly the guys they are finding in the draft, guys like Tarvaris, Ryan Cook, Ray Edwards, Brian Robison, Sidney Rice, Adrain Peterson, Chad Greenway, ect they all have exeptional personalities and great work ethics/motors. I believe there are many players out there that don't even get looks from us based on there attitudes and work ethics, there is certain standard we have gone by and I couldn't love it more.

Another thing I like is the way we take action when there is a player available that we "covet". We have also brought in a couple Undrafted guys that truely have a future.

I don't think there are many teams out there drafting on our level, I look foward to another good draft.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I like the move.

It appears that the front office is finally in synch with what the coaches need/want.
    They did pretty good last year and I believe they can only improve on that as they have had a full year to work out thier processes/procedures related to selection of player personnel.

A good draft last year and a decent FA period this year with alot of picks and a very decent draft class to work with and I believe we will get some pretty decent playmakers on the field next year.

Continuity my friends.
    ;D
    Continuity means more than one good draft Marr. Obviously you forgot or are unaware of his track record in Miami.

The Vikings had a whole year to renew his contract. They could have waited.
    Conitnuity has nothing to do with the draft or his past record.

Continuity means you have the same guys in charge for a long period of time.
    Over that period of time, and with alot of patience, the plan will/can be executed, refined, and maintained.

Again, nothing to do with the draft my friend. The draft, FA are just indicators that they have guys that can work together.
    Having the right personnel in place means equally as much if not more. Perhaps you felt that Steckel should have been given 4-5 years to take us to the SB.

I know I didn't.

You can polish a turd everyday for 4-5 years, but it's still a turd.
    First Tice, now Steckel.
    Who you gonna run up the flag pole next.

Truth be told, there are alot of coaches that are given a heck of alot more than 4-5 years to get to the SB and never do.
    Heck, some coaches coach thier whole career and don't ever get to one.

I guess if we go by your logic they should all be shit canned if they don't get you the magic ring in a few years.

Like it or not, this Ownership group doesn't feel that way regardless of what we the fans think, or so it would appear.
    Huh? My logic is that they get that 3-4 year trial period unless they are a complete turd likr Steckel was.

All I am saying about the Spielman signing is that I believe they were premature in extending his contract. There was a year to go on it, so why the rush? He's not going anywhere, so why not wait until at least the draft was over?

The AD choice at #1 last year was a no brainer. He was a gift that fell into our laps.

As far as Tice went, I don't think he got a fair chance under Wilf. 1 year with an open pocket book is not enough time.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"mountainviking" wrote:

??? We did? How do you know that for sure?

Just because we selected Rice with our later second round pick doesn't mean that's who we would have selected with an earlier second round pick, had we not traded back.

That's nothing but pure speculation on your part.

[size=13pt]Vikings to Extend Spielman [/size]

By Viking Update Staff
    scout.com

Posted Apr 2, 2008

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234