Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Richardson’s season likely finished

Not good news at all especially for our offense!

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Richardson’s season likely finished
    Wednesday, November 15th, 2006 by Judd Zulgad

Veteran fullback Tony Richardson is expected to be placed on injured reserve this week after suffering a fractured right forearm on Sunday, coach Brad Childress said today.

Richardson suffered the injury early in the game against the Packers but continued to play. He already was playing hurt, having fractured his right thumb the previous week at San Francisco. The Vikings have seven games left in the season and Richardson’s injury will take six weeks to heal.

The Vikings alternatives include using tight end Jeff Dugan at fullback. Tight end Jim Kleinsasser also could play the position. Childress indicated the Vikings also could be looking outside the organization for help. The team’s depth chart does not have a backup fullback listed.

Richardson, signed as a free agent from Kansas City in the offseason, was the lead blocker for running back Chester Taylor, who has rushed for 763 yards on 193 carries (4.1 average) this season. Richardson had five carries for 12 yards and also caught 13 passes for 111 yards. He had three receptions Sunday against the Packers.

In other injury news:

– Linebacker Jason Glenn will have surgery on the torn ACL in his left knee Thursdsay in Birmingham, Ala. Dr. James Andrews will handle the surgery.

– Defensive end Erasmus James is scheduled to undergo surgery on the torn ACL in his left knee today in Colorado. James was injured in the fourth quarter of the Vikings’ victory over Carolina in Week 2. Dr. Richard Steadman will perform the procedure.

– Receiver Marcus Robinson (lower back) and Napoleon Harris (dislocated left wrist) will attempt to practice today and could play Sunday at Miami.

The Vikings also made a move with their practice squad, signing free agent cornerback Patrick Body (6-2, 201 pounds). Body, who attended Toledo, played in six games with Cincinnati last season, recording four tackles. He was waived by the Bengals with an injury settlement in September.

Re: Richardson’s season likely finished

Damn that sux. I think we should definitley keep him. Anybody who comes in playing a position where you have to use your hands extensively with a broken thumb-does good-breaks his arm-keeps going and still does well-deserves to be signed long term. This guy has the heart missing in the offense.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I wonder if he'll retire after the season?

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

This is incredibly bad news. So bad, infact, that I'm gonna cry. And no one to replace him..........ugh.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Damn

(damn damn damn damn damn)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

He is getting up there in age but still showing that he can play. But who is out there could possibly be signed? What I found most interesting about the article

The Vikings have seven games left in the season and Richardson’s injury will take six weeks to heal.

So Are the Vikes saying that at this point they think they have no chance to make the playoffs? If he could be back by playoff time why put him on injured reserve?

Good point-I hope Chilldress is looking to make the playoffs. Once one of the leaders gives up-it's very contagious.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    He is getting up there in age but still showing that he can play. But who is out there could possibly be signed? What I found most interesting about the article

The Vikings have seven games left in the season and Richardson’s injury will take six weeks to heal.

So Are the Vikes saying that at this point they think they have no chance to make the playoffs? If he could be back by playoff time why put him on injured reserve?
    Not worried about that, this is an injury, putting him on a list with a season ending injury, might be the best thing.
    Bring up another guy.

The Vikings alternatives include using tight end Jeff Dugan at fullback. Tight end Jim Kleinsasser also could play the position. Childress indicated the Vikings also could be looking outside the organization for help. The team’s depth chart does not have a backup fullback listed.
    Chilly said in the Mon PC, that Dugan did a whole mini camp at FB.
    But, I would like to see JK at FB.
    He should want to play there and prove himself as a worthy FB or face the fact that he might be out as a TE next year, out as in cut.

That really stinks, but I wouldn't read too much into Richardson going on IR other than Childress wanting to free up a roster spot. I would bet he is just going to use Dugan or Kleinsasser at the FB position like the article says and then he'll be able to bring an active body up from the practice squad for the next seven weeks. And I'm pretty sure Richardson will be back next season, after all, he did sign a two year contract and this shouldn't be a career ending type injury.
    Even babies know the difference.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Bummer.
    The guy was fun to watch, seemed to really enjoy laying out the LB's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast